Subscribe Today

Ideas to make our sport grow?

Postby Ovals Forever » January 9th, 2007, 6:40 am

Like them or not, Eagle River does it best when it comes to bringing in fans, and it isn't just because it is the World Championship.

The Deckers bought the track and continued the World Championship, but they created Friday Night Thunder, and it brings in just as many fans as Sundays World Championship.

And because of there idea of creating Friday Night Thunder, look at how much more money they have to work with every year.
Ovals Forever

Postby Bob Riebe » January 9th, 2007, 9:38 am

[quote=flavious]maybe it's time to start thinking more about what we can do for our fans.

That's the key. Solve that, and the a lot of the other issues will work themselves out. Remember, the issue has to be solved where ever you pro drivers go - not just at Eagle River. Be careful with your meeting there... remember the Derby track as a very specific agenda... it's not racers, its not fans.[/quote]

YES and No; If the product is good, the ancilliary items, and fans will turn up.
The fans will come because the product is good, the ancilliary items, i.e fireworks, etc., can be used if a slump happens, to survive the bumps.

In MY opinion, get the show up to snuff first.
Back in the nineties, for a few years there was excitement about how oval racing was coming back.
I could speak to people on the phone, or anywhere one might mention snowmobile racing and eyes lit up.
I can remember speaking to a fellow from Brainerd. I asked it he attended snowmobile races and he answered with a hearty yes and went on to speak in detail about how great the races, that was run in sub-zero weather were that year.
Plus races were coming back to Alexandria, etc.,etc..

With a few years the USSA had, plus weather, managed to screw up what had been a incredible rebirth.
I say USSA, because racers I spoke to, always, pointed their fingers at one single fault.
Again I will say, weather is a crippler, but no one can change it, so the extra doo-dads, or ancilliary items, might help with such low points.
Bob
PS--
I used to talk with the people at Waconia about running oval races during the show.
They tried some vintage oval races but no one really had much and now they run drags.
IF current pro race could be run with the show, the people are already there, and one or two top pro classes could run a schedule that alternates between drags and oval races, giving fans something to watch while one class, or the track, was prepped for the next race.
Just a thought.
Bob Riebe

Postby flavious » January 9th, 2007, 11:46 am

Your correct Bob: Make the product (racing) better and the fans will come. My point is that the big picture focus has to be placed on fans. To that goal, everything 'below' that will have to be addressed. Fans are how you measure the success of how well the product is performing.

In listening to different associations, racers, and track owners, I rarely,if ever, even hear the word 'fan' let alone what to do to get more watching. That goes back to my original post about the need for a more business minded leadership in the sport.

Note: That doesn't mean a hard nosed bean counter. It means someone who understands the product (snowmobile racers and racing), the customer (fans), vendors, (race track owner) sponsorships, internet coverage etc.
flavious

Postby ice_racer_69 » January 9th, 2007, 12:28 pm

flavious- i know you do a LOT of work with vintage sleds and vintage oval racing and really helped get the vintage boom going (with your website)... I also know that when you went to Beausejour this year and watched the champs race you were instantaneously hooked (don't worry, it happens to everyone there first time). I also know you handed the reigns of the sno pro series over this year, so that may have freed up a bit of your time.

what I am getting at here is that I think that you would be a good fit somewhere in the world of Late Model oval racing. You have no ties with any racers, race teams, or organizations which would mean your opinions and beliefs would be credible and well thought out.

Wadaya say??
ice_racer_69

Postby yamahasrx77 » January 9th, 2007, 3:31 pm

as an example, everyone of us watches nascar, most of us watched it on e.s.p.n. now millions watch on fox. we all laugh at tony,s team meeting and there plan to renivate to win championships. we all envy junior running is vette past a geico to return the lipstick on the tarmac. the young guns dismantling juniors car and getting caught. seniors picture in the chevy commercials. mikey can,t drive but does a whale of a commercial for napa. build it, advertise and they will come. does this make sense?? clay
yamahasrx77

Postby Fontaine Racing » January 9th, 2007, 6:52 pm

Chris
I don't think I have met Bob but keep talking to him! we are all on the same page, and need some outside help to keep running with this. see you at ER. Thursday night. drag your dad along he never says too much but he is a wealth of knowledge, we need his opinions also. we will talk at Benson .
Fontaine Racing

Postby Bob Riebe » January 9th, 2007, 7:13 pm

[quote=flavious]Your correct Bob: Make the product (racing) better and the fans will come. My point is that the big picture focus has to be placed on fans. To that goal, everything 'below' that will have to be addressed. Fans are how you measure the success of how well the product is performing. [/quote]

Flavious:
One problem I see, at least from reading the three threads that deal with similar items, is some of the racers have problems, and I do not think they are being petty, with top costs, in the top class.
YET:
To save money they want to keep things at 440, which does have a unique snowmobile racing related ring to it, but they also want to have all makes involved, and Yamaha has said they will have nothing to do with 440s.
Of the four makes, Yamaha has probably the most aggresive racing heritage behind Ski-Doo.

This is where things get real serious, and real rough, quickly.
Does snowmobile oval racing want to return to "big show" status it once had, and the size payout that came with that, or do they want to
be a semi-pro series, where payout is not important, because the racers are doing what they enjoy first and foremost.
It would be horrid to kill the latter whilst failing to attain the former, but equally sad to not attain the former, for fear of losing the latter.

Another factor that affects snowmobile oval racing, that separates it from auto racing, is the tracks, whether they are on established dirt oval, or carved out of a lake, have to be created.
Sprint car tracks have to be prepaired, but it is still nothing like the tracks that snowmobiles use that can be destroyed by weather, and unlike a rainout, you cannot simply wait for a better week, as the winter is short, and time may runout.

I realize I am listing items that all are already aware of, but in any discussion, the latter had better be addressed in a serious manner.
I.e., IF a "big show" circuit, circuit is set-up, a traveling track preparation team, that could assist the locals to prevent a wash-out, including machines to maintain the track during the race, might get big money sponsor interested as they will see that the people involved are serious about putting out a professional product.

Big items are usually obvious, but as the saying goes, the devil is in the details.

Bob
Bob Riebe

Postby Fontaine Racing » January 10th, 2007, 2:21 am

just talked with the guys at the derby track. we have a place to meet on the grounds at 7 PM Thursday night. hope to see you there?
Fontaine Racing

Postby OvalsareFAST » January 10th, 2007, 4:20 am

personally i think really the only thing you can compare with Ovals and Nascar is well just that they are both forms of racing.

What works for Nascar wont always work for Ice Ovals. Nascar has alot of things going for it. Ya they have alot of fans at the races we all know that, but a big part of that is the weather, 9 times out of 10 it is warm outside at a Nascar race so people do not mind standing out in the warm weather.

We need tp find a idea that will want to get people to the track and stand outside in winter for 6-7 hours, once we find that spark interest will grow alot.
OvalsareFAST

Postby Ovals Forever » January 10th, 2007, 6:02 am

I think I was one of the first to bring up Nascar, but I wasen't trying to compare ice racing to Nascar, my idea was try and get some of the nascar people interested in this sport.

A lot of the Nascar drivers sponser drivers for many differant racing organizations.

Example- Tony Stewart sponsered guys to go around racing RC cars just because he thought they were cool, then he bought one of the main companys.

He also sponsers a World Of Outlaw car, and who knows what else.

All it would take is for some of these guys to come watch and think this sport was cool and want to be part of it, and there could be sponserships like you will never see from the manufactures again.

It has been said that Tony Stewart goes to some Oval Race in New York, if that is true he already has an interest in the sport, and what would he think if say he was invited by the Deckers to come see our Daytona in January.
Ovals Forever

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros