Subscribe Today

Ideas to make our sport grow?

Postby Yoo » December 28th, 2006, 7:04 am

Petawawarace...I didn't know they had a race scheduled out East the same weekend, but even if they didn't, I doubt we would be fortunate enough to have a driver come from that far away to race. Just to be considered is a really nice gesture. Thanks.

Skip
Yoo

Postby flavious » December 29th, 2006, 8:03 am

I'd like to offer a suggestion to grow the sport of oval racing. It's just a suggestion; But from what I've witnessed over the last couple of years, you guys are the best, and you put on one HELL of a great show. The thing your lacking to grow the sport is serious, focused, accountable leadership.

Form a corporation. Sell shares only to race teams, perhaps sponsors or fan groups. Make sure ALL the racers are part of the corporation, so that they share in the corporations profits (or lack there of).

Elect a valid board of directors for the corporation, and a CEO. The CEO cannot have a financial or other stake in a race team - he must be a focused business/marketing executive. The board could consist of race teams, as long as it is NOT the racers themselves.

Use the raised money to fund the CEO and a tiny, tiny staff to coordinate the promotion of races at various REAL sites, which have an on-land track, grandstands, vendor spots and snowmobile related shows.They should also aggresively market the HELL of races (and key racers by name!) primarily through the website, but also in magazines, and work their way up to getting television coverage. This groups should also coordinate a set of traveling track building and maintenance tools (expensive, yes, but the individual track promotors have not been able to do it - except ER, Beasejour and Valcourt - correct?)

To accomplish this, rules regarding classes, and anything to do with the marketing (right down to where everyone races, and what is on your hoods) of the sport will have to be approved by the board, and ratified by all shareholders. You will have to give up some control here to the elected officials - not popular, I know, but required to grow the sport.

Right now, from a fan perspective, you have way too many classes that don't make a lick of sense to a spectator, and are near impossible to follow. And you have the same guys on the track on what appear to be the same sleds, over and over and over again. Again, from a fan perspective, this is not helping grow the sport.

Once this elected group has proven they can turn out numbers, you may wish to allow them to handle all aspects of the business... including the tracks.

Bottom line - you guys need some professional help to make a good thing great... and you need to do it from within. Your current associations and track owners are acting out of self-interest (nothing wrong with that!) but they can't dedicate themselves to the growth of the sport like a slightly disinterested, business focused person could.
flavious

Postby Bob Riebe » December 29th, 2006, 10:45 am

[quote=flavious]I'd like to offer a suggestion to grow the sport of oval racing. It's just a suggestion; But from what I've witnessed over the last couple of years, you guys are the best, and you put on one HELL of a great show. The thing your lacking to grow the sport is serious, focused, accountable leadership.

Form a corporation. Sell shares only to race teams, perhaps sponsors or fan groups. Make sure ALL the racers are part of the corporation, so that they share in the corporations profits (or lack there of).

Elect a valid board of directors for the corporation, and a CEO. The CEO cannot have a financial or other stake in a race team - he must be a focused business/marketing executive. The board could consist of race teams, as long as it is NOT the racers themselves.

Use the raised money to fund the CEO and a tiny, tiny staff to coordinate the promotion of races at various REAL sites, which have an on-land track, grandstands, vendor spots and snowmobile related shows.They should also aggresively market the HELL of races (and key racers by name!) primarily through the website, but also in magazines, and work their way up to getting television coverage. This groups should also coordinate a set of traveling track building and maintenance tools (expensive, yes, but the individual track promotors have not been able to do it - except ER, Beasejour and Valcourt - correct?)

To accomplish this, rules regarding classes, and anything to do with the marketing (right down to where everyone races, and what is on your hoods) of the sport will have to be approved by the board, and ratified by all shareholders. You will have to give up some control here to the elected officials - not popular, I know, but required to grow the sport.

Right now, from a fan perspective, you have way too many classes that don't make a lick of sense to a spectator, and are near impossible to follow. And you have the same guys on the track on what appear to be the same sleds, over and over and over again. Again, from a fan perspective, this is not helping grow the sport.

Once this elected group has proven they can turn out numbers, you may wish to allow them to handle all aspects of the business... including the tracks.

Bottom line - you guys need some professional help to make a good thing great... and you need to do it from within. Your current associations and track owners are acting out of self-interest (nothing wrong with that!) but they can't dedicate themselves to the growth of the sport like a slightly disinterested, business focused person could.[/quote]

Trying to govern a sport, and snowmobile, racing unlike NASCAR, is still a sport, by commitee, destroyed the SCCA pro series; it does not work.
Bob
PS-It took over thiry years, and death of other successful competing ciruits, before NASCAR could drop the sporting side and let money rule.
Bob Riebe

Postby Ovals Forever » December 29th, 2006, 11:28 am

That sounds great, I think "all" the drivers and teams need to come together and form their own racing organization, "Example" The World Of Outlaws, The Indy Racing league, The Nextel Cup.

Come up with a good catchy name, vote in their own elected officials, their own tech's, their own safety people, run their own show their way at each race.
The racers and the race teams are the ones putting on the show, why shouldn't you people be in charge of it.
That way they could say to the promoters, if you want us to race at your venue here is how it is going to be, you are going to have this many rows of bales, they are going to be this high etc etc etc or their is no race.
Get a cut of the gate fees and or concessions, or be able to have some of our own concessions at each race, a trailer to sell T-Shirts and hats for our sport and it's racers.

The racers would have the same rules, and the same people teching their sleds at every place they go.

Put a race schedule together, and the promoters can advertise the sh-t out of it.

And tell the manufactures you either put up this amount of money or your name isn't going to be anywhere but on someone's sled and that is only if you are sponsoring that sled.

If everyone would come together and stick together, I believe this would work.

The promoters would have alot to advertise,
we have 2 3 time World Champs we have several 1 time World Champs champs, we have Eastern Pro Tour Champs, we have Canadian Power Toboggan Champs.
They could put together some pretty cool advertisements if all these guys were comming to their race.

What do you guys think?
Am I way off or could something like this happen?
Ovals Forever

Postby Petawawarace » December 29th, 2006, 12:28 pm

It would be great to have one series that travelled and the promoters could advertise that all of these big names are going to come and race, but with the exception of a few big races (ER , BJ, Valcourt) there would be way too much travelling. I have a bit of an idea here. It is similar to the V-force challenge that is there now, but if there was "Super Series" of sorts for the champ sleds to run. There would still be a champ class at all the races, but this series would be its own special program run with the regular series at that track. It is exactly like the Challenge now, with the exception that there should be more races. The new or non-travelling guys would have a chance to run with the big dogs whenever the "super Series" came to town, but they would still have a chance at winning a championship on the local series. In Canada we used to have the CASCAR latemodel stock cars (still do, just called nascar now) years back they used to have Cascar classes at alot of different tracks and then a touring series that would come in and the rules were basically the same and you could run with the "big dogs" It got out of hand with the difference in rules between the 2 after a few years, and it wasn't worth the money for the "Sportsman" guys to put new bodies and engines in just to run 1 or 2 races. I'd like to share more, but the rink is calling me to go play.....Chow for now...Jeff
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

Postby Fontaine Racing » December 29th, 2006, 4:42 pm

this enthusiasm is what we need!!
flavious, I hope you would want to attend and help us out!
Bob you have always played the Devils advocate, but we need that side also? I would like to see your opinions,so we can find the positive part of them. please stay involved. the thing we will have to remember to do is stay focused on our future and were we want to go. "a business plan" this means one thing we have to agree to disagree! and most importantly, portray ourselves as professionals! not to say that we don't need a little Jeff Gordon type push off once in a while just to keep the fans interested? but we do need some serious leadership.
sounds like Eagle River is the place for our initial meet? I think this is a great place. I am sure Todd is watching? maybe he could help us out with a place to meet? PLEASE! I would hope he would want to attend he is a great promoter of our sport. sounds like Thursday may be the best night? I am sure that there are a lot of people watching this and not replying, but I hope they all feel welcome to attend just so we can all meet face to face, and share some ideas. this is a Great start.
please voice your opinions and Ideas.
also want to make sure the Moyles and team 240 gets involved. just a couple of the many I have forgot. please spread the word!
Fontaine Racing

Postby proton » December 29th, 2006, 5:33 pm

Respectfully Mr Fontaine...We need a temporary chair person to spearhead this fledgling NSRA (National Sprint Racers Association)movement...will you organize a specific place and time to meet at Eagle River...you have my support
proton

Postby Fontaine Racing » December 30th, 2006, 7:11 am

Just talked with the guys at the derby track. they are willing to set us up with a meeting place right on site, Thursday evening? one question they had was how many to accommodate,and what time? I was thinking a little later around 8 PM.? I know I will be a busy guy earlier, as I expect many others will be also.
I am willing to set up a small agenda to get things going, but I am not qualified to run any large scale meeting. so I am going to rely on some of you others to help out. some one to take notes? etc. please reply on some topics that could and should be discussed.
hopefully Ice slippers will attend? to get us some coverage? Linzi from snowweek will be there, and any other interested Media is surely welcome. this will be our first chance to show our commitment, so hopefully we can get a large turnout. and most importantly portray ourselves as true professionals!
I will update you if anything new comes about. PLEASE support this idea?
once again I am remembering some people that I forgot to invite. I hope the MIRA. group will have someone there, I met them at the ISR. meeting, good people with good ideas. I would hope that the people from the other sanctioning bodies would also show up? basically welcome any one with some positive input.
Thanks the Fontaines
Fontaine Racing

Postby watcher » December 30th, 2006, 8:05 am

if i remember back to this pass May, Milwaukee WI, did we not try this?

To start a nother group, NSRA? split the norhtern, eastern, mid west up even more?

not NEG, just wondering why>?

you want an driver/owner/crew group? look at the history of USSA, how they started. look at how the board is made up? it is voted on members only, (driver/crew/owners). rules are made up by one vote per organization at the ISR meeting.

like i said not NEG, JUST WONDERING WHAT THIS IS GOING TO DO?

watcher
watcher

Postby Ovals Forever » December 30th, 2006, 12:14 pm

Can we get a list of people that would be willing to attend?

People that want to try and make the sport grow.

The biggest obsticle right now is how do we get more fans, how do we get more people to the races so they can become fans.

Nascar had good races long before they had all the media coverage, it was after they had a huge fan base that the media got involved.

ABC Wide World Of Sports used to cover the Derby live, and look how many thousands of people used to come to the Derby.

It is simple, more fans = bigger purses, bigger purses = more drivers, bigger purses more drivers = even more fans and even bigger purses.

We need to get this ball rolling again like it used to be.

I know some will say it will never be like it once was, well if everyone has that attitude then you are right it won't be.

I say it's time to quit living in the past and make Snowmobile Oval Racing better then it has ever been.
Ovals Forever

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros