Subscribe Today

Ideas to make our sport grow?

Postby tifa_5_2000 » December 30th, 2006, 1:00 pm

the same thing was discussed for grass draging last year. you need one guy to devote ALL his time to do it. whos going to pay him? i cant take a year off my job. you need a few people totally devoted to it and supported by everyone else. it is a great idea its just not possible.
tifa_5_2000

Postby Ovals Forever » December 30th, 2006, 1:55 pm

There must be ways to get more fans to attend the races without someone takeing a year off from his job.
Ovals Forever

Postby proton » December 30th, 2006, 2:10 pm

The first thing we need to do is sit down as a group, discuses the value of an Organized racers group and the things it could accomplish...this may be no more than to help promote racers as a whole and nothing more...My suggestion is to assemble a committee at Eagle River and have them discuss all the ideas that will be talked about at the meeting and go from their.

Personally I see the NSRA regulating itself in different ways... one example is establishing minimum standards for semi-pro and pro racing licence-ect...
proton

Postby watcher » December 30th, 2006, 2:19 pm

USSA, set up a committee this year to make a list of Semi Pro/ Pro Drivers, who can and can not run Semi Pro. Marcel also has a list out east. think it is on the web site. www.ussaprostar.com

watcher
watcher

Postby proton » December 30th, 2006, 2:28 pm

That's great....That is only one idea, there are other very good reasons for racers to be looked at as a group other than the folks that show up to race....Think hard Watcher and help us out here...we could use someone like you that has alot of experience with racing org...you didn't think you were really going to just sit in the stands and eat popcorn did you. LoL
proton

Postby watcher » December 30th, 2006, 2:48 pm

YES, i think that would be fun for once. thinking of making some side bets with my buddies. could make more that way then racing. might have a little advantage on them. LOL

great luck, hope you can make it bigger then NASCAR

watcher
watcher

Postby JL32 » December 30th, 2006, 6:28 pm

Take a deep breath and slowly back away from the key board. To start a revolution (new organization) will only divide us even more. Remember strength is in numbers and it is the numbers you want to strengthen. Take your ideas to your current organization, and let them go to work for you. As far as a traveling series goes, if all the big dogs left to the traveling show there would not be enough grass root drivers to fill the current local USSA, PRO ICE, EPT shows then they would probably bust too. Also as far as traveling series goes, remember who we are. We are a bunch of blue collar workers (by majority) who struggle financialy to put equipment on the ice. Ask some of these teams what they spend to get to E.R., Now to have to do that every week? Most can not afford it. Now go back to my last sentence and repeat to yourself several times (MOST CAN NOT AFFORD IT) Then that should help you recall what Corey Ewing was talking about earlier. Although I believe chassis costs is of more concern to me than motor,nun the less Cory is on the right track, keep it affordable!!! And that should help strengthen numbers. As far as rules that would help keep it affordable Aaron Fellows had some great ideas a few years back. I am certain that if those rules were in place I too would still be on the (track).. O.K. I let the polais out of the bag. Notice how I didnt say cat? ha ha. Just take the track rules the last few years for champ, They are like a bunch of Sneeches on the Beaches running in and out of the DR.SUESS machine to get a 121" no 116" no no I want a 106" no how bout a 116"-13.5"wide holy smokes set a track rule for the class already. And some other consistant chassis dimensions.
Respectively Jason
JL32

Postby Bob Riebe » December 30th, 2006, 7:21 pm

Fontaine Racing:
There is an old saying, Racers race, promoters promote and sanctions sanction.

It was when this basic rule was trashed, mainly by sanctioning bodies of various types, that racing in the US, as a whole crested the peak, and still has not reached the bottom of the hill.

This does not mean racers cannot have a large say so in other parts of the sport; the way MotoGP riders heavily influenced that sport is a good example.
It grew, more exciting fast machines were created, and more factories entered.

NASCAR was just another regional series, with two very fast tracks, until Winston put money in the pot, and even then when USAC gained Michigan and Texas, even Autoweek came out to say that the USAC show was every bit as good as NASCAR.
It was when ARCA, ASA, IMSA and USAC either died or became irrelevant, for one reason or another, and not before that, that NASCAR became the eight hundred pound gorilla.

Snowmobile racing, does not have the history or connections of NASCAR which is why I went out of the way to discount mentioning them.
Snowmobile oval racing could arguably, be called a quasi mirror image of USAC.

Snowmobile racing has to regain those who used to go to snowmobile races, and more importantly, reegain what were once considered the big tracks, or try to gain races that will stand out.
Like it or not, a big fast track, brings in spectators quicker than a third or quarter mile bullring.

Make against make, is what made racing, of any type, great in the US.
If a top class, and I agree that at least at the big races, too many classes could work in the negative, but if two or three big classes, using what exists now, or perhaps add an open class where the factories could once again experiment, could get all four involved, people would return to see who had the biggest and baddest.

One spoiler, that probably did more to kill snowmobile racing than anything, weather, is something I have no way of fixing other than praying for the return of real winters.

Ovals Forever:
This is not an attack on you, as while your skew seems off to me, you have the right attitude as far as enthusiasim.

[quote]The racers and the race teams are the ones putting on the show, why shouldn't you people be in charge of it.
That way they could say to the promoters, if you want us to race at your venue here is how it is going to be, you are going to have this many rows of bales, they are going to be this high etc etc etc or their is no race.[/quote]
Promoters at race tracks, or anywhere, promote for the good of their show. If one has a program they can sell, to the promoter, as a big show, they will work with anyone.
You tell them how to do things, and you had better put a lot of money in their black line, or they will tell, whom ever is dictating, to not let the door him em on the way out.
The publicity of that will spread like a wild fire to other potential circuit, which is not good.

This is one of the reasons CART died and CC is a minor series. They tried to dictate to the tracks, and the tracks told them to go away.
Road America as the best example, PERMITTED them to come back this year, based soley on Road America making enough money, to CONSIDER letting them come back next year.
Why did this happen?
CART and it successor CC, said Road America had to do X, Y, and Z to hold a race, which they did.
The money did not add up, the sanctions attitude did not change.
Now CC is the one jumping through hoops.

[quote]Get a cut of the gate fees and or concessions, or be able to have some of our own concessions at each race, a trailer to sell T-Shirts and hats for our sport and it's racers.[/quote]
Again promoters promote, sanctions sancton and racers race.
Tracks do not put on races for the good of the drivers, they do it for the good of the track.
Especially in snowmobile racing, with the exceptions of the long time tracks, who exist for snowmobile racing, the tracks will do fine with or without the snowmobile racers.
They will not lose money so the racers can make money.

Getting outside vendors in, is an excellant idea. They usually pay the track to be there.
Go to the vintage bike show sometime at Mid-ohio.
If you want to both watch the races and travel the flea market-commercial displays, you had better add a day for the latter.

One poster mentioned a "big show" that could move among the regional races, that is a GOOD idea.
The SCCA Trans-Am, would have been a four to ten car show without the local and regional semi-pro to amateur racers who filled the fields at every track.
They came to test the big boys, in the "big show" and it worked great until the SCCA killed the amateur classes that filled the field.
Within ten years it was shadow of what it had been.
Remember that until the SCCA changed the amateur class production rules, factories spent millions racing just to win an amateur national title.

Scatter gun view of what to do:
Find out why the factories left; find out why they have come back; find out what would reinvigorate their interest in heavily being involved in oval racing; find out how the promoters and sanctions used to get sponsors to sponsor a series or race; have the heads of regional series, of any sort, put down ten things that worked in the present and past, and another ten that failed, and why.
If they will not give you the time day, call they until they do.
The only thing worse than failing, is not trying for fear of failure.

All big series, of any sort, of the past, earned the right to be called a "big show".
Snowmobile factories did not wake up one day, and decide to creat a Sno-Pro series, past performance brought it into being.
Oval racing right now seemd to be coming back, despite horrendous weather. Gain the respect of those who might put up enough money to relive the glory of the past, by making whatever "big shows" still exist the best they can be, and those who once held "big shows" might decide the time is right to do it again.

To those who want to ignore the past, to paraphrase a truth that many loath to hear, becaue it is a truth; Those who fail to learn from the past, are doomed to relive it, and it will not be the good part.

My opinion from what have read, heard, seen and people I talked to over years, nothing more, nothing less.

At a race at Antigo, I spoke with Darcy Ewing, and at a minimum, he was hot under the collar about how the race was run; while I may agree with what he said that day, if anyone simply decides they are going to to dictate anything to another because they can, the testy relationship between the race stewards and Mr.Ewing, is the sceen that will be played out, not a growing exciting snowmobile racing series.
Bob
Bob Riebe

Postby Fontaine Racing » December 30th, 2006, 7:31 pm

I hope no one jumps to conclusions here? my hopes of getting everyone together was not to compete with any one. but to unite everyone! I myself am very gratefull for what the curent sanctioning bodies have done and are doing. without them we would not be racing. that is why I hope they will attend? there knowledge and experience is very valuable.
I was raised, and still strongly believe that everyones opinion has A certain amount of value to it. meaning that you have to be open minded, and listen to people. you dont allways have to agree? but you will walk away having learned something.
Jason
your post is a perfect example of how getting together and discussing our experiences can help the sport stay alive and get better. I am a perfect example of that person that cannot afford to do this. I have two great kids that have been racing since the kitty cat days. they love racing and all of the great friends we have made along the way. I currently have two half baked sprinters in the shop that I realy cant afford to finish, thanks to some great people we have met in this sport we may have enough pieces to get them together now? and only becouse of there help! my kids and I are very gratefull to you!!
back to Jasons post. the track thing is a great idea and without us trying to get together this may have never come up? so in my opinion ,something good has allready come out of this! this is my honest intention of getting together.
Thanks and have a safe new year! the Fontaines

OH anyone want to buy a 121 inch track? LOL
Fontaine Racing

Postby Fontaine Racing » December 30th, 2006, 7:45 pm

Bob
thanks for that opinion and advice on a direction to go!
Fontaine Racing

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros