Subscribe Today

Ideas to make our sport grow?

Postby proton » December 31st, 2006, 7:32 am

I guess I'm a little puzzled why any one would be against Racers organizing themselves to have a united voice in things that concern them...every other group that stand together in principle and ideas, organize themselves to get their message out there.

AOPA(Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association) for example...do not make the laws that regulate them, nor do they build the airports...they do however have a powerful voice when the NTSB or the FAA are proposing rules that will affect them.

These are the things that the "sprint racer org" movement are trying to duplicate...they do not want to promote and run races , they don't want to build tracks, nor do they do not want to form and operate as a sanctioning body
They DO however want to be heard as a collective voice in things that involve them.

This is why a "driver association" has good merit as an organization.
proton

Postby fire on ice » December 31st, 2006, 7:49 am

from a promoters stand point. there was comment made that we do it for the track and not the racers, that's not totally true. We try to get as much excitement generated to draw fans and potential fans to the tracks. spend thousands of dollars on advertising trying to get people to come. The more people that come the more we are able to give back to the racers in prize money. We spend literally thousands of man hours preparing for the weekend as do all the racers. need to make it a win win for both.
I've talked to a few people that really don't care for the sport. The thing that sticks out the most is timing and excitement. We hear alot about E.R. world championships, which is great it brings excitement. But it is one of the first races of the year. is this putting the cart before the horse?
Should the world championships be towards the end of the season to build momentum though the season? Create excitement so when drivers meet for the world championship to race against each other fans are excited to come and watch. Over time that excitement will trickle down to all the tracks. Have each sanction help advertise that excitement. Do you see any of the sanctions do any advertising other than schedules?
Where we sit here in central WI. we have 100's of thousands of people in 60 miles of our track and we struggle to pull in 2500 people. Why? We need to somehow get people excited to want to come to the tracks and watch the races and meet the drivers.
Will having a drivers group help this to take place? I don't know but I do like the idea of everyone pulling together and coming up with ideas to draw fans to the sport!
Dewey
fire on ice

Postby tifa_5_2000 » December 31st, 2006, 2:05 pm

for grass drags we did a few internet chats. its easier to get everyone at the same place at the same time. what was needed in the chat was more order. like maybe an agenda and a referee. im all for uniting oval racing. its just not possible without an elected president and a ton of man hours. you need to start it out on solid support from everyone or it will be like isr. people will be doing their own thing before long. as far as factory support MIRA has a sweet deal for '08 with factory support. bonus money and cheap factory race sleds are a sure thing already.
tifa_5_2000

Postby Ovals Forever » December 31st, 2006, 6:30 pm

Dewy you are ahsome, like you said - "The more people that come the more we are able to give back to the racers in prize money."

You are 100% correct, we need to get more people interested in this sport.

Of all the things we have talked about so far, this is one isue I am pretty sure we can all agree on.

You know alot of people think that the derby pulls in more people than anywhere else because it is the world championship, but I have been there 6 times now and I know for a fact that they get just as many people if not more people for Friday Night Thunder as they do on Sunday for the World Championship.
And Fiday Night Thunder has nothing to do with the World Championship.

That should tell people something.

Why do they get so many people for Fiday Night Thunder?

Because it is a show for the whole family

1. Fireworks

2. Kids race

3. Vintage sleds race

4 Snow Cross race

5. The best Oval Racers in the world race

Todd Achterberg said it best on that DVD the Derby Track put out, "The race can't just be the race any more, it has to be a family show.
Ovals Forever

Postby OvalsareFAST » January 2nd, 2007, 7:57 am

Just curious,

So Do you not want anybody from the EPT, USSA, Xtreme Ice, and CPTC there than???
OvalsareFAST

Postby CoryEwingdeactivated » January 2nd, 2007, 10:11 am

I think that all Ice Racing enthusiasts incuding anybody from USSA, Extreme Ice, EPT, and CPTC should be at a meeting like this. We always need advice from the guys who actually put the hard work into running an organization to be present because most of us don't know what it really takes. But, we need to keep focus on us the enthusiasts more then anything. It's so funny how we are talking about this now, back in 1996 we had the same kind of meeting up in Beausejour the thursday before the CPTC. A lot of teams/drivers as well as organizers like Andy Baker were in attendance. The future/futility of Ice Racing was discussed to an extent. All who were in attendance could see that if there weren't any major changes made, there would be an annual decrease in numbers in the sport we love. Well, nothing for the most part changed and here we are needing another meeting to SAVE the sport we love. I hope guys take this seriously if we all get together.
#6 HOGLUND RACING TEAM

[b]WWW.HOGLUNDLAW.COM[/b]
CoryEwingdeactivated

Postby Fontaine Racing » January 2nd, 2007, 4:31 pm

sorry if anyone made it sound like we did not want these people there? WE DO! remember we are not trying to compete with anyone!! we just want to get the people together and discuss strengthening and promoting our future collectively. no sense repeating what Corey said? please show up if you are an enthusiast with an interest in seeing the sport get better.
Fontaine Racing

Postby flavious » January 3rd, 2007, 3:11 pm

Hey all;

I LOVE the enthusiasm this is generating.... Just a couple of notes on the some of the comments above:

1. This sport needs NEW blood. Whomever you choose to LEAD should come from outside the sport and be a business guy, not a sled guy. This isn't about consensus. You need to find a real Marget Thatcher type of leader - remember it was Margret that said something like "management by consensus is the lack of leadership"

2. You must split from the 'old gaurd'. I know they've done a lot over the years to keep the sport alive... but they've also failed to grow it in any way shape or form. You just need look at where the sport is after 30 years of these same guys running the associations... alive, yes, but on life support at best.

3. Do NOT have your meeting at Eagle River - at least not at the track. They, like the old gaurd, have an agenda that is their own. If you listen to the nay sayers from the old gaurd and the track owners... you're going to be stuck in the same place you are now. The track owners (and God Bless them for keeping it going - I mean NO disrespect!) are part of the old gaurd.

If a new 'NASCAR' like corporation is to be developed, you've got to start fresh and think of it as a corporation of, by, and for the drivers and race teams. Track owners and the existing associations are welcome to a place at the table - just make damn sure it's the drivers and race teams table, silverware, food and everything else.
flavious

Postby Bob Riebe » January 3rd, 2007, 3:59 pm

[quote=flavious]
If a new 'NASCAR' like corporation is to be developed, you've got to start fresh and think of it as a corporation of, by, and for the drivers and race teams. Track owners and the existing associations are welcome to a place at the table - just make damn sure it's the drivers and race teams table, silverware, food and everything else.[/quote]

To NASCAR, drivers and teams are like pigs at a trough.

The France concern is the absolute ruler, first to last, ANYTHING else had better squat if they say ****, and say "how high and how far" if they say jump.
The only thing that the France concern has to worry about is the sponsor; as the past has shown they change what it takes to keep them happy.

Is this how you want snowmobile racing run?
Bob
Bob Riebe

Postby Ovals Forever » January 3rd, 2007, 7:25 pm

flavious, I believe you are right on.
"This sport needs new blood"
Ovals Forever

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros