Subscribe Today

Jacques Villeneuve

Jacques Villeneuve

Postby ck_cat » February 15th, 2008, 12:49 am

Is the Jacques Villeneuve that is trying to qualify at the Daytona 500 any relation to #96 JV of the snowmobile world?
ck_cat

Jacques Villeneuve

Postby Turn Five Racing » February 15th, 2008, 12:52 am

Yes they are related, sorry read it wrong.
Turn Five Racing

Jacques Villeneuve

Postby Sledted » February 15th, 2008, 12:59 am

Yes. He is #96 JV's nephew. He is the son of 96's brother Gilles.
Ted McEwen
Sledted

Jacques Villeneuve

Postby diskvalve » February 15th, 2008, 2:50 am

The correct answer is they are related but not the same person... the Jacques that is racing Nascar is not the Jacques Villeneuve of the snowmobile world . It is the nephew of our snowmobiling Jacques. The brothers Jacques and Gilles from Quebec have both been world champion snowmobile racers but Gilles son ; Jacques who was named after his younger brother ; does not race snowmobiles. There is often confusion among spectators and fans that recognize the name but are not aware that there are two Jacques Villeneuve racers . The older "Uncle Jacques is 54 years old and has raced almost everything there is from Can-Am ; Formula Ford; Formula Atlantic ; Indy Cars as well as boats and Snowmobiles. The younger nephew; Jacques Villeneuve has raced Indy cars ; Formula 1 as well as the Nascar trucks and cars but not snowmobiles. They are indeed a great racing family.
HTML
diskvalve

Jacques Villeneuve

Postby The Old Coyote » February 15th, 2008, 3:20 am

You forgot to mention that Gilles won the F1 Driver's Championship with Ferrari, then was killed at his home track in a crash during practice for the Montreal Grand Prix. I'd say that helped provide motovatin for the younger Jacques to persevere, finally win the CART (Indy style) Championship then go on an also win the Driver's World Championship also driving a Ferrari
[blue][b][i]"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."[/b][/i][/blue]
The Old Coyote

Jacques Villeneuve

Postby Petawawarace » February 15th, 2008, 3:27 am

It wasn't in Montreal that he was killed. I think it was the Belgian Grand Prix where he was killed. The Montreal cicuit is named after him..Le Cicuit Gilles Villeneuve
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

Jacques Villeneuve

Postby diskvalve » February 15th, 2008, 9:08 am

Gilles was killed in Europe while testing not Canada. The other car involved was ironically the only F1 car that his brother Jacques was ever to drive , but it did not work out. The racing careers of Jacques and Gilles were varied and the list is very long. Our snowmobiling Jacques was the first Canadian to win an Indy Car race ; winning at Elkhart Lake in the eighties.
HTML
diskvalve

Jacques Villeneuve

Postby tonyave » February 15th, 2008, 2:25 pm

Gilles was, specifically, killed in Zolder Belgium, on a qualifying lap trying to out-do his teammate (and by then sworn enemy) Didier Pironi. The video is still available on youtube, if you wish. A very sad day May 8, 1982... And I still remember exactly where I was.

Tony Ave
tonyave

Return to Ovals & Enduros