Subscribe Today

Valcourt Questions Please on #180

Postby Pipman » February 25th, 2008, 4:51 am

First off I don't think Nick would say that he will never come back to the race in one of his sponsors back yard. Maybe he said that out of anger but I really don't think he would ban Valcourt?

Second, It sounds like Brian was talking of the clutch springs not suspension springs like the rest of the guys. Maybe I misunderstood what Brian meant.

It's not the tech guys job to go around before the race to find out if sleds are within the rules. He was doing the job and checking after the race.

Unfortunately, Nick and his sled were called on it.

It wasn't fun to find out our champer was not considered legal at Eagle a few years ago. When our view of the hooker plate rule was found illegal. (their interpretation vs. ours)

Lastly, not too many lawnmowers have springs for suspension. I think bedsprings makes more sense and would have been funnier. Just a thought.

Just thinking aloud
Pip
Pipman

Postby that 31 car » February 25th, 2008, 11:26 am

Pip:
Please tell that one like it was, all WC sleds were called into tech, the bulletin was discussed, viewpoints given, and also instructions given as how to correct the problem before the event. I agree that the tech mans job is not to pre-inspect sleds for legality before the event, but to use your Eagle River experience with a hooker plate issue is not in the same frame of reference. You got notified, and you got to change it and you got to run as I recall. While you and John Hooper had one view, and the Wahl's had still another, my job was to enforce the ISR bulletin and still keep racers on the track, the promoter happy, and keep a level field for all concerned.

This deal will be discussed at Spring ISR as I'm sure both Marcel and I will have it in the agenda. However it will be, will be, but we need to clarify it.
Thanks
Korinek
that 31 car

Postby CoryEwingdeactivated » February 25th, 2008, 1:17 pm

[quote=124blizzard]This is America and free speech was one of the FIRST things that I learned as a child.
[/quote]

I am going to remember that the next time you all jump on my opinions. LOL.
#6 HOGLUND RACING TEAM

[b]WWW.HOGLUNDLAW.COM[/b]
CoryEwingdeactivated

Postby Pipman » February 25th, 2008, 11:53 pm

Jerry,

what you mentioned is exactly not the way it happened.

The only sled that bulletin affected was ours.
Pipman

Postby jhooper/HRE » February 26th, 2008, 2:17 am

Jerry, I am not going to point fingers at anyone in particular but the "HOOKER PLATE RULE" was a little different than you explain. This NEW rule was put in place AFTER the first race @ Beasejour, NOT at the ISR meeting as it should have been. There was supposedly a bulletin sent out but SURPRISINGLY the two race teams that would be affected by this new rule NEVER got one. The targeted sleds were MINE and P.J., We were NOT informed of this rule until our sled went to tech. AFTER!! qualifying for the W.C. The only reason we were not tossed out on this WITCH HUNT was because, after reading this new rule I brought it to everyones attention that because of the way it was worded most of the qualified racers would not be legal and at THAT point you stepped in and suggested we compromize on the rule until the next race. I probably will never know for sure who was behind this "WITCH HUNT" but there is NO doubt that is what it was!, Since there was NO GOOD REASON for this rule other than to punish a couple teams with good holeshots. Sincerely, John H.
jhooper/HRE

Postby Petawawarace » February 26th, 2008, 2:29 am

John,

I am just wondering what excatly this talk about the hooker plate rule is all about?. I was not around when this took place. What could possibly have been illegal about hooker plates? I'm just curious is all.

Thanks,
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

Postby PDRacing » February 26th, 2008, 2:44 am

Not sure either Jeff,

but something about legal in Vega's comes to mind :W
Richard Scroggs #13 EPT
PDRacing

Postby jhooper/HRE » February 26th, 2008, 5:05 am

Jeff, Around 2000 or 2001 I came up with the idea to weld hooker plates on with one end extended beyond the clip to gain more scratch lines in this area near the windows. After my sleds started getting dominant holeshots and winning races apparently someone or some group decided that something had to be done. The new rule was not voted on and put into the ISR book, as it should have been. This new rule was put in place after the first race @ Beasejour. Nobody made any attempt to contact me or P.J. even though we were the only guys running this setup. We had no idea this rule existed until we were hauled into tech. AFTER qualifying for the top 10 in the W.C. at Eagle.
I have no doubt we would have been Dinged except when I finally got to read this NEW RULE and pointed out that it also stated the the hooker plates must be centered on the clip and the Wahl sleds had small hooker plates that were not centered on the clips. Dave Wahl spoke up and said the rule was not supposed to be worded like that, it was only intended to stop the procedure of extending the clips past the end of the plates. At this point Jerry and his crew decided to just make us remove any studs that were on these extended plates and race in the final rather than D.Q. most of the top 10. I know this sounds fishy but this is EXACTLY what happened. I am not blaming anyone in particular but you can draw your own conclusions. Sincerely, John H.
jhooper/HRE

Postby jhooper/HRE » February 26th, 2008, 5:12 am

Jeff, Around 2000 or 2001 I came up with the idea to weld hooker plates on with one end extended beyond the clip to gain more scratch lines in this area near the windows. After my sleds started getting dominant holeshots and winning races apparently someone or some group decided that something had to be done. The new rule was not voted on and put into the ISR book, as it should have been. This new rule was put in place after the first race @ Beasejour. Nobody made any attempt to contact me or P.J. even though we were the only guys running this setup. We had no idea this rule existed until we were hauled into tech. AFTER qualifying for the top 10 in the W.C. at Eagle.
I have no doubt we would have been Dinged except when I finally got to read this NEW RULE and pointed out that it also stated the the hooker plates must be centered on the clip and the Wahl sleds had small hooker plates that were not centered on the clips. Dave Wahl spoke up and said the rule was not supposed to be worded like that, it was only intended to stop the procedure of extending the clips past the end of the plates. At this point Jerry and his crew decided to just make us remove any studs that were on these extended plates and race in the final rather than D.Q. most of the top 10. I know this sounds fishy but this is EXACTLY what happened. I am not blaming anyone in particular but you can draw your own conclusions. Sincerely, John H.
jhooper/HRE

Postby Petawawarace » February 26th, 2008, 7:34 am

Thanks very much John. Obviously this rule still stands right? I can't see why it would not be allowed?? It shouldn't be a safety concern, and its not a hugly expensive addition, so why could you not still do it? I was just curious as to what rule you were talking about, Thank you for clearing it up.
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros