Subscribe Today

Changing the Derby Dates to Feb in 09

Postby Older & Wiser » March 5th, 2008, 5:46 am

I do not want to get anyone all upset. All we are looking at is what the racers and the fans would think if we changed the date to the 3rd or 4th weekend in February. We are looking to find any conflicts that this may bring. We are just gathering input on this and by no means has a decision been made. Please post on here or you can e-mail me directly at [email]todd@derbytrack.com [/email] . With the cold weather and the NFL playoffs moved to the third week of January we are just looking for an alternative. Again don't go telling everyone that the date is going to change we are just looking for in put at this point.

Todd Achterberg
Older & Wiser
Older & Wiser

Postby Fontaine Racing » March 5th, 2008, 5:53 am

sounds like a good date to me?
and now is a great time to start talking about it.
Fontaine Racing

Postby ZR PILOT » March 5th, 2008, 5:55 am

I personally think this would be a GREAT move!! After all - the Super Bowl is at the end of the NFL season, World Series - the same with baseball, etc... If you have the World Championship - it should at almost the end of the racing season. Another benefit of doing it that way is that a lot of the smaller budget teams burn up most of their yearly budget at the WC - third weekend in Jan. - thus preventing them from being able to travel to any other events - no matter which sanction - the rest of the season. That does not help the event promoter at all financially, plus you also don't get as big of driver count as one would like, from a level of competition standpoint!! More drivers = better racing = better show as a whole. I hope, Todd, you guys at the ERWC take these thoughts into serious consideration when making the decision. Thanx!!
A fan of snowmobile oval racing!! ;)
ZR PILOT

Postby CoryEwingdeactivated » March 5th, 2008, 6:28 am

*I read your post wrong Todd, I thought you were saying the 3rd and 4th of Feb. LOL. Sorry. I am a big supporter of the 2nd weekend in February. I think it would work out with everyone.

This is a great idea Todd. We are all very lucky to have guys like you, Chuck and Allen who want the best for the racers and fans even if it means a lot more work to get this event changed. The Eagle River World Championships have always been the same weekend since the beginning of time, thank you for considering the move. We know it won't be easy.
#6 HOGLUND RACING TEAM

[b]WWW.HOGLUNDLAW.COM[/b]
CoryEwingdeactivated

Postby Petawawarace » March 5th, 2008, 6:39 am

The 3rd and 4th weekends in Feb. are Valcourt and Eganville here in the East. These are the 2 biggest races in the East. If you do this, you will be losing almost all of the Eastern drivers out there if not them all and hurting the two races we have here by not getting the western drivers here.

I agree that moving it later in the year is better. It just sucks that it would conflict with these dates.

Here is a quick list of who I think you will be missing out there.

Jacques - He supports the EPT and said last year if there was a conflict he would be here in the East. Also lose him for vintage weekend if that is going to move as well.

George Samson's team - with their new Ski-doo chassis supposed to be done for next year, I'm sure they would want a crack at the Eastern points title. He also has an order in for a new Chapparelle to race Vintage WC...

Myself. I can't speak for Howard, but I'm almost positive we'd stay here and race for points. Howard has his vintage sled too that you'd miss.

Jason Lavallee - they were going to come this year, but didn't get the chassis finished in time. Bet they will be there next year if there isn't a conflict.

Pettinelli crew - 2 Champ sleds (MIA this year because of David's surgery) plus the Vintage stuff they bring (3 sleds)

Andy Miller and his Vintage stuff He travels with the Pettinelli crew

Tim Hibbard - Last 2 years won The F-500 class out there and the Vintage this year. You bet he'll be here in the East running for points

Craig House - They have their 600 stocker rocking this year and I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to go to ER (if the date doesn't conflict)

Like I said I agree that moving the date would be better to have it later in the year, but you'll have to decide if you can do without the Eastern guys. Would be a bit of a shame to not have anyone out there...more like a Western Championship than a World Championship.

I'm not trying to pi$$ in anyones cornflakes but I just thought this issue should be brought up. Either way you decide, could you do us here in the east a favour and have a date set before we have our meeting to set the schedual. April 12th is the date of the meeting. We normally keep the weekends of the vintage WC and the WC open on our schedual so the teams that do go can make it out.
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

Postby kenlacy » March 5th, 2008, 7:05 am

There are typically races scheduled in all three of the circuits during that time period. All would have to be willing to make adjustments.
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Postby tp176 » March 5th, 2008, 7:48 am

All would have to make adjustments but it would also open up a weekend in January for all associations. Todd, would it be only the WC weekend or the Vintage WC as well? We sometimes have a difficult time filling the vintage weekend date out here due to our weather patterns and most promoters are nervous about having enough ice that early.

Tony P
Tony P
315-337-6399
tp176

Postby MPH 3739 » March 5th, 2008, 8:12 am

I think moving the Derby would be a mistake. It would conflict with the Eastern races.

There are alot of other races I would rather see moved.

Please leave this one alone.

Jeff @ MPH
MPH 3739

Postby Harris Racing » March 5th, 2008, 9:15 am

I agree with Petawawarace and MPH. Moving the date of the Derby to the heart of the Eastern tour schedule (Valcourt, Eganville) would definitely stop us from attending the WC next year. We were planning to bring at least one Pro Stocker, and 2 possibly 3 F500's to Eagle river next year.

Harris Racing #88
Harris Racing

Postby CoryEwingdeactivated » March 5th, 2008, 9:30 am

[quote=MPH 3739]I think moving the Derby would be a mistake. It would conflict with the Eastern races.

There are alot of other races I would rather see moved.

Please leave this one alone.

Jeff @ MPH[/quote]

Not if it was on the 2nd weekend in February...wouldn't you rather have everyone be on the top of their game come ER time instead of having 25 entries to start the weekend, and then by the time saturday qualifying starts there are 18 frickin guys? It gets old every year watching guys spend $300+ to not even make qualifying because their sled is having mechanical issues or has crash damage. Plus it screws up the ER WC format when there isn't 24+ drivers in it.
#6 HOGLUND RACING TEAM

[b]WWW.HOGLUNDLAW.COM[/b]
CoryEwingdeactivated

Next

Return to Ovals & Enduros