Subscribe Today

Everyone's Thoughts on Class Proposals 2011 and Beyond

Postby ussa 172m » May 2nd, 2008, 2:49 pm

doug.the short ski deal started in about 2001 or02 in stock at that time polaris plastic along with ski-doo had about 16 inch alumiun insert to mount carbide to there was no ski flex at that time .there was no need at that time. i know the new polaris ski is plastic not sure how it would standup but if no one ran one how do es anyone know .there could always be a carbibe rule between the two ski s short ski 7 inch plastic 12 inch.there s no dout short turns better over long ski but long is nt bother ed by ice groove s or soft ice or darting.what happened back in late 90 s early 2000 s you had some champ drivers racing stock that helped push certian rules thru because they wanted stock to drive like champ most of those guys are gone we still have to live with the rules they helped make.we run short ski s because we need the best handing advalable it does nt matter short or long as long as everyone knows the rules.thanks pat duchene
172x
ussa 172m

Postby Spy-Guy 74 » May 2nd, 2008, 3:22 pm

Jerry, a couple of years ago I asked to have a new rule change, the change was to allow two carbides on each ski if the racer wanted to go that way. At that time it was proposed to allow MIRA to try this in their circuit. I didn't really here any feed back on the proposal last year at the rules meeting. I guess I'm asking to have it proposed again, and would like to know why it is a problem? I don't think it would be any more dangerous, as a safety aspect, and I have reasons to believe it would work quite well and help out champ drivers in a few ways. I guess all I'm asking for is to allow it, for anyone that wants to try. It does require a different ski than what is available now, but won't be a problem if the rule passes.
Greg Peterson
Spy-Guy 74

Postby cat22 » May 2nd, 2008, 4:36 pm

"I did see a reply on another post from Cat 22 from the Michigan circuit. he seemed to like the proposal?"
I LOVE the proposal. MIRA will most likely get another stock team back if that proposal passes.
cat22

Postby that 31 car » May 2nd, 2008, 4:46 pm

Doug: the ski rule you quote is from 01-02 book, not 2000-2001. 02 was the defining point Pat talked about. 00-01 had no mention of 14 inch flat of ski or anything like that. It did however limit it to production ski's and a width minimum.
thanks
Korinek
that 31 car

Postby that 31 car » May 2nd, 2008, 4:55 pm

Greg: Mira was asked to test it, I believe they didn't have much if any follow through. I don't believe it's on the agenda for this year either, but it could come up in open session. If you want I'll bring it up. However if I am to speak for it I would need some reasons as to why it's so good.
I guess you would have to enlighten me on the benefits of 2 cutting edges. My thought is it would drive cost even more. New ski blanks, new carbides, new bolt patterns, etc. Then of course the natural evolution, first generation, second generation ski's, then of course continuously changing carbide set ups. Some teams would have to double stock green wheels just to cover the extra sharpening, if you get my drift. Probably won't bother Wahl's or Gary much, but I always thought you wanted the little guy to be able to compete. Mixed message?
Korinek
that 31 car

Postby Fontaine Racing » May 2nd, 2008, 5:53 pm

sorry I don't have that rule book. went off of watchers post earlier, and after looking back he did say it was the 01-02 rules.
Pat thanks for the follow up!
have you compared the price and availability of a stock ski at the race track compared to a Wahl ski? let along buying new carbides ? I don't think woody's makes a 60 degree carbide in 3 different lengths for an IQ ski?
what about the little guy that has the stuff already?
Fontaine Racing

Postby that 31 car » May 2nd, 2008, 8:28 pm

Doug:
In the case of stock in the midwest, what "little guy" that has the stuff already. In USSA we seen maybe three a weekend. Wally had a few more. 7-8 total in the midwest as far as Pro Stockers go.
Sorry but I don't consider the Pro stockers I seen out there to be in the hands of "little guys", considering almost all in the Midwest were program sleds from some manufacturer. Nick, Felegy, Etc.
As it was presented by Todd to you guys, the group is so small, now is the time for change. Was it different than that? I don't know, I wasn't at the meeting.
that 31 car

Postby Spy-Guy 74 » May 3rd, 2008, 12:19 am

Jerry, your correct when you say it will cost more for the ones that would want to go to the two carbide per ski request. I can't argue that. I can't speak for the Wahls and Moyles, but they most likely would try the set up I'm asking to be allowed. On the other hand so could anyone else. The benefit to this rule is it removes all the dartiness from the sled, helps entering corner, and exiting the corner. Cornering speeds may increase slightly, but it would be minimal.

I guess it could only be allowed in champ class if you wanted, your correct I do like to keep the costs down as I consider us a low budget team. After being involved in this class, I can safely tell you no one is going to beat the Wahls, Moyles, or say #96 on a regular basis no matter what the rules are. Yes this is coming from a low budget team, my goal for next season is to become say sort of a giant killer once in a while. I already know I don't have the funds and know how to do it on a regular basis. I can live with that, I can honestly say I don't think anyone is having more fun and enjoyment than myself doing this during the winter months by racing in the Elite Class.

Jerry have you noticed all the different changes Jacques trys on his ski's and carbide set-ups. Every time he goes out in staging or comes off the track I always give his set up a look. Believe me, he's got a few different set-ups and some of the things he tries sure looks like they work for him, but I think most fellows would never even give his a try. To me theres most likely no one, that knows more about a snowmobile than #96 at this time, and it shows who else at age 54 can compete with a bunch of twenty year olds or in some cases even younger fellows than that. In closing I'm just asking for it to be brought up again, if nothing becomes of it thats fine. Thanks
Spy-Guy 74

Postby cat22 » May 3rd, 2008, 1:05 am

We tested for Woodys, on the 46 Arctic Cat, a couple different versions of the "dooly" carbide on the MIRA circuit 2 years ago. The first version was ok, not any better then normal carbides. The second and third versions were about the same but way better then the first. They cornered much better then normal and didn't track at all down the straights but when you let off for the corner, you really had a lot of drag slowing you down. Took a little bit to get used to but I'm sure it could be used to carry more speed into corner and not have to use as much brake. These runners were used on cut down stock Arctic skis so nothing special had to be done for them to fit.
cat22

Postby proton » May 3rd, 2008, 1:07 am

As far as the long vs short skis, most of the teams run a longer ski late in the enduro races, some ran it the whole race...works better on a trashy track...there is an issue with racers chopping across the long skis in an enduro with 25-30 sleds in a rolling start all bunched up.

Dantuma
MIRA
proton

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros