Subscribe Today

Everyone's Thoughts on Class Proposals 2011 and Beyond

Postby proton » May 8th, 2008, 2:28 am

MIRA still has a strong group of stock racers, Last year at Eagle River Joel Diamond, Troy Dewald, Jeff Leunberger and Jim kurts all raced in Pro-stock...Mitch Diamond, Kris Eichenberg among others raced in semi-pro stock....on any given weekend in MIRA we have 10-20 stockers in some of the classes,

I am personally in full support of these stock rule changes, there will be some issues that come along with the changes but nothing that cant be resolved, however I don't see MIRA doing anything different next year as our membership has already voted on the classes we will be running in 2009.

MIRA is committed to the Super Stock platform thru 2010 as it premier class in pro enduro, will this new stock structure do away with Super Stock?

Dantuma
MIRA
proton

Postby mbenoy119 » May 8th, 2008, 5:14 am

I respect everyone's opinions on this forum and I think Greg brings up a good point. There used to be HUGE numbers in the stock classes, especially Sport Stock. What you need to remember, though, is that the factories built machines back then that were much more ice oval "friendly" than what you can buy today.

For instance, if we were to get a new Arctic Cat Sno Pro this fall to race Pro Stock with, should we have to try to do it with C&A skis and a 1.5" track? As far as safety goes, I don't think having 350 2" studs in a track is a good idea and I don't care WHO you are, the C&A skis are going to give you a bugger of a time without having at least an aluminum saddle.

Do I think the Pro Stock rules are perfect? Absolutely not, but neither are the rules from 2000 as it applies to the sleds that will be available to race in 2009. In my opinion, there must be a compromise of the two. Go ahead, eliminate the aftermarket suspensions and suspension components. Let the teams add a sufficient sway bar, the correct track (although the Cat guys would be hosed having to run a 128) and the MUCH safer short skis. It will definitely slow the field down with the stock suspensions but might draw in some new competitors.
mbenoy119

Postby tifa_5_2000 » May 8th, 2008, 7:42 am

please explain the 3 year rule. sorry if it already has been explained.
tifa_5_2000

Postby rfredri » May 8th, 2008, 8:56 am

Many good points, here's Ron's $.02

Most of us still racing and commenting on here today, have been invovled from the kitty cat, 120,jr. selds,and stock oval sleds through the 2001 rules.

Recall each year as would evolve new rules, ammendments,allowable modification's to "stock" machines so the class would be safe,fair,beefing up, modifing components, so the wouldn't break, save time, money, make the sled more comfortable for the driver, add parity between brands.

This is where we have come from.

The engineering for the ski-doo and polaris guys has been done, as well as after the XP,Rev, and I-Q have been set up they still look like a stock sled.
These kits do come at a cost add, to your new stocker, but so will all the "Fair " modifications that will be allowed to the next generation of "stock".

I do not know how we will get new blood into stock, I think it will take a better economy and factory help to promote it. It was a valid point brought out in the meeting at ER about acting ,looking professional, and factory recognizable race sleds.These things will help our sport to gain popularity.

It would be nice to walk into the dealer show room and purchse a race sled to take to the oval track, I'm just having a hard time, seeing all four being on the same page.Or how much time and money will it take to get there?
Fredrickson racing.
rfredri

Postby lugsharvey » May 8th, 2008, 10:05 am

After reading all of the ideas for Stock racing, it sure seems like everyone is grasping at straws. Jerry, help me out here, but since it came after I had stopped competing in the winter, wasn't the semi-pro idea all about getting the new blood? Think back to the mid eighties to early to mid nineties, when I ran in the stock classes. There was no semi pro, just show up and get your lunch handed to you until you figured it out. It wasn't cheap to do unless you got a sled from the manufacturers, which was definitely more common than now, however a LOT of guys paid their own way. Now, with all that considered, it was a rare USSA race that didn't have a QTR final in the b and c stock stuff (Phazers, MX's, Indy's). 'A' stock was light by comparison, but there was nearly always 8 to 10 entry's in it, unless we were at Plymouth, then the c,b,and a races looked pretty similiar. At ER time, add the east coasters and we would be flat worn out on Fri., Sat. just running all the necessary heats, qtrs, semis to get down to a final, which Chuck had set at 10 sleds back then. Now you take all the semi pro and pro stock stuff, and you still have a pitiful number of entrys. I really don't think $$ is anything but an excuse, look at all the $50K pickups in the pits... I would say interest is less, snowcross gets some of the new blood you refer to because it is the hotter thing now, (or was anyway) and frankly, the small amount of money paid out these days compared to the years I refer to is really staggering. What do think...
Tony Ave
lugsharvey

Postby Fontaine Racing » May 8th, 2008, 12:58 pm

tifa
page 3 2nd post down. I would quote it but don't know how.
Fontaine Racing

Postby tifa_5_2000 » May 8th, 2008, 1:41 pm

thankyou. now that i understand it i think it will add alot of cost to racing stock. my gen2 cost $1500, the IQ we just baught $6k. thats 4 times the cost and its almost 3 yrs old already. i also cant see the mans kicking in a bunch of money, even if they promise it. hasnt oval racing been down the road with the manufacturers already years ago?
tifa_5_2000

Postby ussa 172m » May 8th, 2008, 2:03 pm

the 3 year rule would be 3 model year after that not legel to race..have to agree with tony what he say s is pretty much right on.thank s to tony we have been able two race last two seasons.a former racer that came back to help the sport thanks.i ve put much thought into this after being involve for four decade s of racing.ithink it would not be good to go for a rule change this year.i think stock needs to go back to stock i mean put the front and rear end traval on the the other of the 2 inch s which means you must be within 2 inch s of max travel which means no string or shock changes.we ran this setup at er in ice x at er in 2003 and were within 3 mph of the regular oval sleds.alow clutch gearing jetting changes you could even run stock track and ski s put a stud and carbide rule 200 studsand 8 inch carbibe. there i just told how to make one of sleds work.but i think the biggest challege is is just to keep the racers we have now the cost of living is so much more then it was years ago just no extra money.just my opion thanks pat duchene
172x
ussa 172m

Postby Fontaine Racing » May 9th, 2008, 2:10 am

Thanks
lots of good points brought up
one thing I have learned since we started this topic is how out of touch I am with the present models. there are fewer, and seem to all follow the stand up ride style. (which I have never understood) and the main difference being sport, touring, and mountain sleds. all a far cry than some thing in 2000?
Both Ron and Mike touch on some very good points. I had no idea cat uses a 128 inch track. maybe we should do a little more home work before we make a rule? I may just be suspicious? but if there are some different models coming?? maybe we should see them first. and go from there?
Pat brings up a point that seldom gets talked about anywhere but behind the scenes. don't want to piss anyone off here but lets put it in the open.
Driver Payback. I know that less entries brings less purse. so we do have a problem there. as drivers talking we have discussed that if we all go to the same race we will increase that. next we should go to the race were we know we will get all our money paid back! including the extra purse!
once again we are not expecting to get rich racing! but remember without the racers there is no show either. trust me there are going to be less and less racers unless this Issue gets addressed.
THANKS!
Fontaine Racing

Postby lugsharvey » May 9th, 2008, 5:08 am

No response to the splitting of driver's between semi-pro and pro??? As far as pay back, we always got all the entry money back, and it was split btween top three or top 5, depending on entrys. A 5 fee was retained for insurance, and another small amount went to the point fund. Last year PJ Duchene won one of the Pro Stock classes and had a really small check for points. I'm assuming insurance has gone up, and it's likely the sanction fees are down due to the difficulty in securing events a few years back. So my point is, if this financial situation is not fixable over the short haul , I don't think rules of any kind will help. Frankly, if that is the case we may be wiser to focus on classes that people with enough money want to race, such as pro sprint, etc. Just a thought...
Tony
lugsharvey

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros