Subscribe Today

Brian Mulligan recovering from surgery

Postby Flatout » July 6th, 2010, 8:24 am

I received this from Marcel Fontaine. This news about our very good friend and track announcer Brian Mulligan. Lets all let him know that we are hoping for a full and speedy recovery.
HG

St-Hugues, July 5th, 2010

Good afternoon,

I want to give you some information about our announcer, Brian Mulligan.

Since May, Brian has gone through different medical exams.

Last week, he had a scan and a MRI performed to the head. Doctors found a brain tumour.

Today, at the Ottawa Civic Hospital, Brian went through a 6 hour surgery. Doctors were able remove the tumour. It was located very near to the heartbeat control, respiration control, center of balance, taste, swallowing, etc.

As of now, the surgery seems to be a success. The next few days will determine if any of the controls have been affected.

I would like you to have a positive thought for Brian.

In the next days, I will keep you informed about the results of his recovery.

Have a good summer,

Marcel Fontaine Tel.: 450 794-2298
S.C.M. Pres. Fax: 450 794-2450
E-mail: mfontaine@cablemonteregie.com
Flatout

Postby Bonn Cup » July 6th, 2010, 10:36 am

Thanks for the update Marcel.
On behalf of the Eganville Sno-Drifters,we all wish Brian a
speedy recovery and hope to see him at the track next winter.
Please phone when he can receive vistors.
We will think of him in our prayers,God bless.
[b]Merv Boldt[/b]
Bonn Cup

Postby Pipe dream racing » July 7th, 2010, 10:33 am

Our prayers are with you
[i]James Lemire[/i]
Pipe dream racing

Postby SCM PRES. » July 9th, 2010, 5:43 am

St-Hugues, July 9th, 2010

Good afternoon,

Here is more information about our announcer, Brian Mulligan.

Monday morning, during the surgery, the doctors installed a tube in Brian's throat to help him breath. Monday night, they decided to remove it but they realized that he had trouble to breath by himself, and they re-installed it. During the night, Brian removed it by himself... The doctors decided to transfer Brian in the intensive care and re-installed the tube again. It was more difficult because his throat was irritated and swelled. They also gave him more medication so he was sleeping and unable to remove the tube again...

Yesterday, the doctors decided to remove the breathing tube, reduce the medication and do a tracheotomy: so far, he does not seem to be able to swallow by himself. This function will come back and the tracheotomy will not affect his vocal cords. Actually, because of his tracheo, he is unable to talk. With this surgery, doctors will be able to control any fluid that could go the wrong way and end up on his lungs.

Yesterday, Brian was able to respond to Huguette's requests: move your hands, your arms, legs, feet, etc.

The project for today is to have him sit in his bed and may be have him stand up and walk.

Up to last night, Brian still was in the intensive care. Only Huguette and his sons may visit him.

Next week, I will keep you updated.

Have a good week-end,

Marcel Fontaine
S.C.M. Pres.
SCM PRES.

Postby Pipman » July 11th, 2010, 5:14 am

Marcel,

Thank you for the update on Brian's recovery. When you see him, tell him I wish a speedy recovery. We need him to show us how to swing from Johns rope swing at the lake.

Patrick
Pipman

Postby TigorRacing176 » July 25th, 2010, 7:10 pm

Any new updates?
TigorRacing176

Postby SCM PRES. » August 11th, 2010, 11:25 am

St-Hugues, August 11th, 2010

Good afternoon,

it has been a few weeks since I gave you news about Brian's condition. Last Saturday, Brigitte and I visited him. Although his condition improved very slowly, we can see improvements.

Last Saturday, Brian was transfered from "NOA - Neuro-Observation Area" to a regular room. At the moment of the transfer, the cuff of the tracheo (kind of a little balloon inside the larynx) was deflated and the doctors installed a smaller tube inside his throat. Part of the air from his lungs was going through his throat (the other part through the tube of his tracheo) to the vocal cords and he could normally breathe and. we could hear his raspy voice!

On Monday, the doctor made a recommendation: block the tracheo tube which exits from his neck and see if he could breath normally??? After the doctor's visit, even if Brian had both wrists tied to the sides of his bed (he always tries to remove his tubes), he was able to move himself and take off his tracheo system . The respiratory medical group was soon there and they decided to completely remove the tracheo system and keep a close eye on him. It was a success as Brian was able to breath by himself. This way, he is able to talk. The sound is not perfect. but, it works!!! Later during the day, the nurse said to Huguette that she could push his wheelchair and give him a "panoramic" tour around the hospital. Apparently, he was all smiles.

Tuesday, the speech therapist did some swallowing tests. He swallowed a few spoonfuls of water and apple sauce. Everything looked O.K. until he started coughing. The nurse was not convinced that he could swallow without problem. Today, they will do other tests and take x-rays while he swallows his apple sauce mixed with baryum. This will tell them if he is ready to eat on his own or if they still have to feed him through the tube that they installed to his stomach.

They started some physiotherapy: with the help of 2 people and a walker, he did a few steps. Even if we know that he has a long way to go, this is encouraging.
Finally, the thing that needs to be worked out is his cognitive ability. Actually, his attention spaned and short term memory are not at their best.

Brian can have visitors from 3.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m . It will be a good stimuli for his memory and he will certainly be happy to see you.

Brian is hospitalised at the OTTAWA CIVIC CENTER HOSPITAL, 1053, Carling Avenue.

As soon as there will be significant improvements, I will let you know.

Don't forget that in less than 4 months, winter will be here.

Marcel Fontaine
S.C.M. Pres.
SCM PRES.

Postby Pipman » August 11th, 2010, 10:21 pm

Thanks for the update Marcel.
Pipman

Postby SCM PRES. » September 2nd, 2010, 12:16 am

St-Hugues, September 2nd, 2010

Good morning,

Three weeks ago, I gave you informations about Brian's health condition.

Wednesday, August 25th, Brian had another surgery. The doctor installed a shunt (little tube) to drain the liquid from his head to his abdomen. Everything went very well and was a success.

Since that date, there is incredible progress. Brian is able to shave himself, brush his teeth, transfer himself from his bed to a chair and back to his bed, goes to the rest room; he also started physiotherapy, walks more and more every day, and more than anything else, his short term memory is back and excellent!!!!!!

Last Sunday night, Brian called me on the phone. He told me: "I lost a lot since my 1st surgery. but Huguette told me that you visited me and you helped her a lot. I want to thank you for that." I couldn't believe how much his condition improved in 3 days only.

Last Tuesday, his brother visited him. He said that Brian was on a waiting list for the rehab center at the Ottawa General Hospital. That is another good news.

This week, he will have another MRI and a test to check his capability to swallow. Huguette (his wife) is confident that he will be successful at this test: last week-end, she gave him a couple of teaspoon of ice cream and iced coffee. (She doesn't want you to tell it to his doctor!!!!!!!!!!!)

Brian is still hospitalised at the OTTAWA CIVIC CENTER HOSPITAL, 1053, Carling Avenue, but very soon, he will be transferred at the Ottawa General Hospital for his physiotherapy.

Marcel Fontaine
S.C.M. Pres.
SCM PRES.

Postby Bonn Cup » September 2nd, 2010, 1:53 am

This is great news!!Hope to visit Brian next week.
[b]Merv Boldt[/b]
Bonn Cup

Next

Return to Ovals & Enduros