Subscribe Today

Champ Racing(Time For A Change)

Postby Bonn Cup » September 24th, 2010, 5:33 am

Enough said. Lets All wait until the facts are known.
It could be GREAT news for the sport
[b]Merv Boldt[/b]
Bonn Cup

Postby 2tracksnflatout » September 24th, 2010, 6:12 am

2tracksnflatout

Postby Pipe dream racing » September 24th, 2010, 12:23 pm

Just my 2 cents. (1.75 american lol) E.R. W.C finishing order last year.

Clearly mark Polaris, clearly marked Acrtic Cat,clearly marked Ski doo,

What more could the factories fans want.
[i]James Lemire[/i]
Pipe dream racing

Postby Spy-Guy 74 » September 24th, 2010, 3:51 pm

2tracksnflatout, I believe we've talked in the past on another snowmobile site. You raced a F1 sled in the past, and are involved with car racing in Canada. You brought this up on vintagesleds.com a couple a years ago, I think this will be very hard to pull off, if you do I'll be the first to shake your hand. I've always owned Polaris or Arctic Cat snowmobiles, and never once did I walk away from a F-1 snowmobile race before it was over. Very exciting and would be a great class to go along with Champ 440, but will be very expensive and three times the work keeping the sled in tip top shape.
Spy-Guy 74

Postby 2tracksnflatout » September 26th, 2010, 7:35 am

2tracksnflatout

Postby Petawawarace » September 26th, 2010, 4:03 pm

[quote=jhooper/HRE]There has been some good ideas on here but let me stress a couple facts that non of us can ignore if we want this sport to survive and prosper. I know this will hurt some feelings but until we face facts we will continue to sink.
Fact #1 If you put on a "NEW and EXCITING" show the spectators AND sponsors will beat a path to the gate. With our current "old news show" spending time or money promoting is a waste. We have had nothing NEW {from a spectators view} since F3 in the late 80's {remember those crowds}. In fact we have detuned the show to 440's and called it "champ" {how lame is that}. Hell, Racing lawn tractors is drawing coverage because it is "NEW and kinda Exciting".
Fact #2 Racers are Racers and as long as they can some how afford AND AQUIRE equipment that will give them a shot at winning in front of a crowd they will be there, it really does not matter much how fast or dangerous it is to most of them.
Fact #3 Spectators just want to be excited and have fun, they couldn't care less if your 440 has more power than the old 800 triples, those old 800's were exciting, a 440 is smaller than their wife rides. If Nascar switched to 4 cylinders that made the same power as a V8 their popularity would DIE immediately!
Fact #4 We need to get a group together that consists of promoters, racers, chassis and engine builders to design a TOTALLY NEW race sled that will EXCITE everyone that hears about it and is affordable to BUY or build.
My first thoughts lean toward a cockpit sled with an 800 {detuned} and I know if a few of us put our heads together we could design this to be safe and not much faster than the current champs just a lot more "NEW and Exciting"
OR we can just keep doing little tweaks or nothing at all until we are extinct. Sincerely, John Hooper[/quote]

John, it won't allow me to send you a PM....can you please give me an email address??? I have something I would like to throw by you,

Thanks,
Jeff
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

Postby 2tracksnflatout » September 27th, 2010, 4:53 am

2tracksnflatout

Postby PDRacing » September 27th, 2010, 5:26 am

I'm guessing then,

this must involve AIM. :)
Richard Scroggs #13 EPT
PDRacing

Postby ditchbanger65 » September 27th, 2010, 5:32 am

I remember when I was a kid watching the Houle's, Dinger, Sturgeon, Bender etc in FIII. What a show! All the factory's, fast, rival's, noise. Eagle River, Alex, etc overflowing with fan's, everyone was competitive.
Ah the glory day's of oval racing...Will it ever get back to that? Doubt it. Can it make somewhat of a comeback? Yes.
What need's to happen in my opinion? Stock appearing sled's with OEM engine's. Just like the glory day's.
Here's a little example: Two year's ago my brother (Bryan Dyrdahl) and I went to a local lake race late in the season just for fun and the 1k to win of course. He had his Xcountry sled that he lowered with some ice pick's in it. I had a former SOO 500 sled with a 600 mod tripple.
It was the closest racing that anyone had seen in year's! He won the first race by a couple length's and I won the second race by a couple length's all after about 20 mile's of lake racing.
This year I went back with the same sled, another racer showed up with a low and mean stock Skidoo and spanked me. That thing was on rail's with a stock suspension.
My point is, the stock sled's worked great on ice! With stock engine's compared to my 150+/-hp sled (I know I'm old but I'm not that old haha). I think with some tweek's they could put on a great show in oval's with some mod engine's if everyone was in the same boat.
All you would need is some pipe's and the 600's would be well into the 130hp range, if not more. Open for change's here of course.
Cheap, not much investment and close competition. That will bring the fan's, the sponsor's, and eventually the manufaturer's my friend's :)
I'm sure I ticked off the chassis/engine builder's here but if you stay in your current direction, well, it don't take a genious to see where the sport is headed.
This is just my opinion, please don't rip into me to much :) Just trying to help out and get it somewhat back to the "glory day's".
Chad Dyrdahl
ditchbanger65

Postby 2tracksnflatout » September 27th, 2010, 7:07 am

2tracksnflatout

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros