Subscribe Today

Champ Racing(Time For A Change)

Postby F111 800 » September 17th, 2010, 4:53 am

I know I will get hung or run out of town for the next set of comments but I think it is time. Champ oval racing has gone done to the lowest level ever. Just look at the attendance at the events and you can see my point. When the twin tracks were out there it was professional racing with high tech exotic equipment, the fans said it was boring as one brand was always winning. After the twin tracks than the racing took a back roots kind of apperance with consumer oriented chassis's which the fans could relate to. It was Ski-doo, Polaris, Arctic and some Yamaha's. Than the governing body changed the rules. Now we have 20-25 Wahl chassis's running around the race track in champ not to mention all the other classes(sprint, juniors, etc.). The fans are left wondering what sled is what.It's turned into napcar oh I meant Nascar. 50 cars with the same body with different decals and air brushed paint. It has to go back to comsumer sleds, modified to turn left so the spectator can relate to whats is happening on the track. Just my 2 cents.
F111 800

Postby that 31 car » September 17th, 2010, 6:01 am

You have a point, but the efforts of Nic Van StryDonk with his new hood and graphics, and Wahl's doing some new glass this year also will give more diversity to the field. I would not chastise Wahl hoods and glass, guys chose them for a reason, yes they looked good, but they worked, too! Slippery in a aero way, stylish, and relatively easy to fit to most chassis. We need to give credit where credit is due. thanks
that 31 car

Postby kh550 » September 17th, 2010, 5:06 pm

Stock oval sled racing is effectively dead. The manufacturers aren't interested in the sport. I don't see it happening with stock sleds. There are efforts now by PJ, Gary, Nick, and others to have their champ sleds identify to the brand so maybe that trend will grow.
kh550

Postby PDRacing » September 17th, 2010, 5:58 pm

Richard Scroggs #13 EPT
PDRacing

Postby Ovals Forever » September 18th, 2010, 3:30 pm

First you get the fans to come then the media, then the manufactures show up. The snowmobile manufactures never started oval racing, they never started E.R., they never started cross country, they never started drag racing, and they never started the Soo.
Promotors, and sled owners started every one of these sports the manufactures never get involved until they see something big is happening or about to happen then they jump in with both feet to try and get the biggest bang for the buck.

Look at how E.R. started, the locals had an idea, they tried it, people came, "A lot of people" pretty soon ABC wild world of sports came, then the manufactures were there like flys on sh-t.

It didn't start because Ski Doo, Arctic Cat, Polaris, Yamaha, and the others cared about oval racing, they were there because winning and the exposure of just being there helped sell there product.

Today sales are not good, some say that is why the manufactures aren't putting money into ovals, I don't think they would stick money into ovals if they were having record sales if ovals weren't the reason they were making record sales.

I am here to tell you that any idea that will help them sell snowmobiles will draw the manufactures.

Can oval racing ever help the manufactures sell snowmobiles again?
I don't know, but I know this if we find a way to make oval racing sell consumer sleds, you can bet your azz you will see the big fancy haulers in the oval pits again.

That is how it has allways worked and that is how it allways will work.
Ovals Forever

Postby Ovals Forever » September 18th, 2010, 3:47 pm

Look at the most popular race car racing in America. it isn't the high tech F1, it isn't the Indy Cars, it isn't the 300 mile per hour dragsters, it isn't late models, sprint's, modifieds, it is Stock Car racing.
Now stock car racing is just about my least favorite of the bunch, but unfortunitly for me the manufactures don't care near as much about what I think as they do the millions of people that love stock car racing.

The snowmobile manufactures are the same way, I don't care near as much about snowcross as I do ovals, but for the manufactures money spent on snow cross is is money better spent right now because there are more fans, racers, and a lot more media in snowcross right now.

What oval racing needs to do is steel the fans and the media back from snow cross, and even though I love to watch the champs and don't want them to go away, after 13 years or what ever it is, it is safe to say that champs aren't the answer.
Ovals Forever

Postby Ovals Forever » September 18th, 2010, 3:50 pm

Even though twin tracks are my favorite, to think that they would bring back the manufactures would be nothing short of a pipe dream.
Ovals Forever

Postby Jamon » September 19th, 2010, 12:34 am

One way to bring fans and attention is to bring "stars" to try champ like maybe Travis Pastrana or for us here in Quebec: Miguel Duhamel. I remember that Al Unser jr tested a twin track when he was sponsered by Valvoline. The media was there to report it.
Team JL Racing, #26
Jason Levac, Technician, R&d, BRP.
Jamon

Postby PDRacing » September 19th, 2010, 3:56 pm

Ovals Forever / Darren

I totally agree with you!

Forget about the Manufacturer's of Sleds!!

Any successful sport is about Marketing the overall aspect of the sport.

As far as brands Fans don't just support the brands of the particular manufacturer participating in a sport.
Formula 1 for example is not about manufacture's it's about teams and sponsors names. I'm a Red Bull racing fan, I don't care what the car is or what the plane is I support Red Bull.

Watching Bowling and Golf is like watching paint dry, but with the right marketing of brand names and first class presentation people watch and support it at national levels. MARKETING!

My hat is off to people like Todd, who put on a great show at Eagle, fireworks, flybys etc. and attract sponsors like Jimmy John's which has become a big supporter. Last I looked they don't make sleds, and since Wahls are JJ sponsored any JJ fans really don't care what engine or manufacturer they have, they are in their eyes the Jimmy John Team!

At the end of the day it all comes down to marketing our product of racing, attracting sponsors who want to advertise through the Allure and excitement of racing. This brings in the funds which grows the sport.

Forget the manufacturers of the sleds, The race associations need to get some coordinated Marketing with National exposure through various media, television, etc where national Brand Names with dollars can buy Advertising/Sponsorship at reasonable rates. and yes that is what Nascar is all about, one big Marketing machine.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth!

Cheers,
Richard Scroggs #13 EPT
PDRacing

Postby ReichelBros.Racing » September 20th, 2010, 2:30 am

Alot of classes are dying out because of the pro class now. Righ now im running in the sportsman class and have been for the last few years and after every year the numbers just keep getting lower and lower. I have came to the conclusion not to get a bigger sled yet kas of the numbers going down. I have came to notice though, that the F-500 class is almost even with the number of drivers compared to the Pro Champ class. So lets keep the Older classes going and not let anyone down.

Tom Reichel #98
ReichelBros.Racing

Next

Return to Ovals & Enduros