Subscribe Today

Truly New & Exciting

Truly New & Exciting

Postby Mr.Pipe » February 26th, 2011, 5:17 am

John, I'd like to say that i like your plan, and i think you're on the right track once again.
I like the idea of a rolling start, as i think getting those things to leave on marginal ice would really separate the feild. The other suggestion that i'd like to add is regarding engines, and keeping costs down. I'd like to suggest that the transfer ports are to stay stock as cast, with only machining or shimming of the cylinder to adjust their height/duration. As we know an engine guy can spend a lot of hours in the transfers, and find some nice gains...expensive, and separates the field..not what we want. Allow shim/machining for cylinder height, as well as porting of exhaust ports, and now a performance engine recipe could be developed that would get a beginer and his average tuner to be in the game from day one. I think that might be a nice way to keep costs down, and tighten up the feild, while still allowing the tuners to stay interested.
Darcy
Mr.Pipe

Truly New & Exciting

Postby jhooper/HRE » February 26th, 2011, 6:07 am

Darcy, You are correct, HP numbers would be more equal if we can't mess with transfers and it would keep costs down. Now I know how you and Howard felt when I proposed the spec pipes:( I really think this is going to grow so fast that in a couple years we can ADD a 600 open class that will include all brands and slightly more open engine rules with the same chassis. BUT we cannot put the cart before the horse. Thanks for the input. John H.
jhooper/HRE

Truly New & Exciting

Postby rotaxracer33 » February 26th, 2011, 6:31 am

I respect John's talent and position within the industry/sport but does the [b]SPORT[/b] need another class that will require $15,000-$20,000 to get into? We have this price point in the Sprint and SemiPro Champ classes, which aren't as well attended.

I'm not saying this to poo-poo this concept or idea but will this put people in the stands? Our sport needs factory/corporate backing and fans in the stand for the potenial sponsor to justify his advertising purchase. Will the average fans that AREN't already attending a ice oval races, see this new class as reason enough to put down the remote or take a weekend off from trail riding to take in a race? I hope that I'm wroing, but, I dont' see that happening.

I can say that looking at the ORA circuit entry's, and they would have the data to support this statement, the "Startup/Garage builder" classes of F500, F340 and Sportsman seem to be growing very well and they are done with less than half the proposed Outlaw build/purchase. I understand that BJ has a HUGE F500 and F500/Sportsman race and these classes are less than a $10k build. So many so, that there is even enough to spilt F500 into SemiPro and Pro races. Also, if a F500, F340 or Sportsman is totally wrecked there's another sled within minutes to start the rebuild. Local dealers can be used for parts purchase as opposed to special parts. Keep in mind that those same dealers that are being used for parts replacement are far more willing to financially support are local race or racer.

Fans tend to develop from an association with a racer. If our added classes are at the $15k-$20k entry level in comparison to $3k-$10, we have catered to a smaller portion of racer/fan group. A while back there was some chat of how Moyle, Graff, Van Strydonk, Wandersheid and there may be more I've left out, were commended for resembling the OEM brand look. Does this help bring the Big Four into the sport as the good ol' days? I think so. Proof being Nick's ride in the Polaris booth at HayDays really caught fans' eye.

I have to say that I'm not against anything that works to better the sport. But, have the baseline questions been asked to people in the stands DURING a race...What would you like to see? What would help bring more fans to the track? What is your favorite class?

Again, I have never met you, but I respect you John. Just my $.02 as a racer/fan.
rotaxracer33

Truly New & Exciting

Postby jhooper/HRE » February 26th, 2011, 7:12 am

You have a few good points BUT the thing that you are totally missing is that this sled is NOT designed to please current racers. We are targeting a completely different group. We do have plenty of classes of Conventional sleds you can get into from $2500 to $30,000+ BUT we are still shrinking in overall numbers in most areas. Forget about $$$ miraculously coming from the manufacturers, they have pretty much written us off as DEAD! and they will be correct if we can't come up with something to drasticly change our attendance.
The only way we will see any serious $$$ or media attention is if we can attract large crowds of people for them to advertise in front of. Most everything has been tried with conventional sleds for a couple decades, it's time for a Totally new approach, not to replace our existing show but to ENHANCE it with something NEW & EXCITING! John H.
jhooper/HRE

Truly New & Exciting

Postby rotaxracer33 » February 26th, 2011, 8:02 am

Point taken. I support your views to the OEM write off, media exposure and the need to add something new.
rotaxracer33

Truly New & Exciting

Postby wisctiger » February 28th, 2011, 2:47 am

New and exciting. Dribbling information out to create pre-launch excitement is building anticipation. This is a proven marketing strategy. You also need to market to what you feel is going to be your targeted potential racer. In person is one way, but you need to hit the media where your age specific potential racers are hanging out and that is on-line.

Excitement and exposure are going to be two of the things that any big sponsor is going to look at. Talking about sponsorship at this point is putting the cart way out in front of the horse.

Also, I could see an Adopt a young racer.... If the numbers are there I would think the Association would be willing to have say a "Masters" class, the veteran could take it out shake out the bugs and turn it over to the young gun for a class. I didn't oval race, but we did in the far past help a young driver get started with helping on the Mechanical end. I was a drag racer, but was with a group that ran Ovals, Drags and Snocross (Chargers). I had one or two sleds that I hauled for my nephew or younger friends.
wisctiger

Truly New & Exciting

Postby jhooper/HRE » March 1st, 2011, 2:22 am

Wisctiger, Good ideas, We are on the same page. I really hope to turn a few laps in this Outlaw sled before the ice melts and plan to take video to be posted on the web to get people excited {thats why I won't be in Beasejour}. I also like your idea of mentoring, I discussed this with Todd A. from Eagle river, he is hoping to implement some type of incentives for mentoring. Thanks for the input. John H.
jhooper/HRE

Truly New & Exciting

Postby PDRacing » March 1st, 2011, 2:33 am

[quote=wisctiger]

Excitement and exposure are going to be two of the things that any big sponsor is going to look at. Talking about sponsorship at this point is putting the cart way out in front of the horse.

[/quote]

Don't shoot me, but That's where your wrong.

Marketing 101!
What potential sponsors want and how they view the sport should be the horse!

I have shown this cockpit concept to 2 Large Corps who will be sponsoring next year and they aren't interested in it.

They like what we have they just want to see it jazzed up and televised.

P.S. Eganville did an Assume job of well Marketing/Presenting a race last weekend!
Richard Scroggs #13 EPT
PDRacing

Truly New & Exciting

Postby jhooper/HRE » March 1st, 2011, 3:37 am

Richard,
You are correct, all sponsors want the show jazzed up and televised BUT the money for this doesn't just fall out of the sky.
Television companies look for events that draw big crowds and they can market to prospective sponsors. Big sponsors want to know how many viewers per dollar spent, it's that simple. If we put on a great show they will come. John H.
jhooper/HRE

Truly New & Exciting

Postby PDRacing » March 1st, 2011, 3:52 am

John,

I agree the money doesn't fall out of the sky.
But man I wish it did! :C

That's why I have meetings in 2 months with a Corp who is looking at providing the funding for Television coverage/production of 4 Canadian events next year.

The arrangement has to be worked out with our Series directors since they want to have their name tied to it and rebroadcast rights. They will be tying it into their own Television advertising campaign for next year as well.

Don't get me wrong, I think your concept is cool.

I am just trying to sell the product we have now.
Richard Scroggs #13 EPT
PDRacing

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros