Subscribe Today

Outlaw 600 - Progress Thread - HRE

Postby Flatout » April 11th, 2011, 6:12 am

Very true Mike. How many drivers simply run out of arm at ER and simply have their arms fall off the bars resulting in a trip to the bales. I dont think arm pump will be a factor with an outlaw sled.
Flatout

Postby PDRacing » April 11th, 2011, 7:17 am

Richard Scroggs #13 EPT
PDRacing

Postby Ovals Forever » April 11th, 2011, 10:57 am

[quote=jhooper/HRE]Some of you that are new to this thread will notice that I don't respond to certain individuals that I sincerely beleive to have mental health issues and not worth responding to. At least one individual promised to stay away from this "toxic site" but that was just another of his lies in a long line of BS.
I have been asked by a few about top speed of these sleds. We will regulate speed with carb restrictors and the goal is to allow them to be fast enough to put on a great show but not so fast that only a few are capable of driving them to their full potential.
Target speed will be 5 to 10 mph slower than a Champ on most tracks.
John H.[/quote]

We should all do the same thing.
Ovals Forever

Postby KPHooper » April 11th, 2011, 12:44 pm

On a constructive note, I just posted a bunch of pictures of the sled on Outlaw600.com to give people building them a closer look at how ours was built. Click the pictures & videos button on the left. I also started a thread in the forums that has some dimensions to help people get their steering ratios correct, and a few other helpful bits. Those interested, feel free to fire up some constructive discussion in the forums over there.

K Hooper
KPHooper

Postby jhooper/HRE » April 12th, 2011, 1:33 am

Still more great news!
I got a call yesterday from one of the best ice oval drivers/builders ever. Some of you youngsters may not recognize this guy but to me and many others he was almost a houshold name in the 80's and 90's, kinda like PJ, Moyle or Wahl are today.
His name is Tim Bender, He was dominating with modified Yamahas in F3 at a time when most racers considered Yam. to be non-competitive.
He really likes this new Outlaw sled and may build one himself or if he can't find the time he will at least drive mine at one or more major events next season. He is quite heavily involved with the Polaris sno-x effort among other things so his time is limited but don't be surprised to see him in an Outlaw sled that is just a little different than all the rest.
We had already decided to use my sled as a tool to promote our sport with Gary Moyle bringing it to Grantsburg, the Milwaukee mile and Hay days and now if I can line up a couple well known drivers from the past the crowds will only get bigger.
I talked with Gary yesterday, they are beginning construction of 3 new Outlaw sleds in his race shop soon. John H.
jhooper/HRE

Postby proton » April 12th, 2011, 1:39 am

The famous 19 on the ice again....wow....it would be great to see some of the legends out there again.
proton

Postby USSA155 » April 12th, 2011, 1:57 am

Hello Everybody,

I have been following this thread as time permits me. Many people have made great sugestions reduarding the safety aspects of this vehicle. I believe that since this is a new class this area (cage and driver protection specifications) must be addressed now before many are built with any questionable construction.

My sugestions as a mechanical engineer are to follow as clsely as possiable the SCCA specifications. We must also recognize that these vahicles will be different from anything else and take appropriate measures to ensure their safe construction. Examples of this would pertain to atachment of the cage / pod to the tunel (atachement joints must have adiquate shear capacity that in event of a colision the cage does not sepperate from the tunnel by means of the fastners simply pulling out of the aliminum.) Another example would be to require plating the side of the cage (from tunnel side all the way around to the drivers knees) to dissipate impact energy from a colission with another vehicle. I can speak first hand of the abilities of a front suspension component to tear through a 1" OD .065" wall tube and fold it over and insert it into your pelvis.

My suggestion would be to form a sepperate ISR packet for this class and distribute freely for the 1st year to get the word out as quickly as possiable while not waiting for the "official" ISR rules book to be published. I also would suggest that a "certificaiton" day be held by each major racing body where competitiors could bring thier equiptment to have it inspected for the cage only. Maybe this could happen in a November time frame???

Just my thoughts.
Josh Wilson

P.S. John I would like to see what you have currently wirtten up for rules. I have some ideas based on earlier proposals that you have made online. Would you call me when you have a chance. I am Chris and Jim Hackels Director of Engineering at MT.

Thanks
USSA155

Postby 2tracksnflatout » April 12th, 2011, 4:10 am

2tracksnflatout

Postby jhooper/HRE » April 12th, 2011, 5:46 am

I guess I should clarify something that most of you already realize. "THIS SLED IS JUST A PROTYPE" It is not race ready so those of you that are sending comments about the safety of this machine just relax. This sled was built in 2 1/2 weeks and is not complete but it was all we had time to finish to get it on the ice before it melted.
I think most of you realize that we will do everything REASONABLE to make this machine safer than anything we currently race. This is not a 200mph F1 race car and has no need to be built to their specs.
Comments such as "death trap" are just thrown out there by people that are frustrated by their own failures so they want to see this fail. NOT GONNA HAPPEN! Other comments such as the ones from Josh are welcomed and taken very seriously , I have just had a good conversation with him concerning safety issues. Please keep the CONSTRUCTIVE comments coming. John H.
jhooper/HRE

Postby USSA155 » April 12th, 2011, 6:29 am

Hello 2Tracks,

I don't want to be negative about Mr. Hoopers ideas. He really is trying to do something to help our sport by attracting a less convientioal rider.

I spoke with John, and I think we are all in agreement about it's curent construction. He assured me that it was a prototype and would not be raced in that form. We had a good discussion about safety aspects, and I believer that he is in agreement that the rules reguarding the cage should be pened correctly at the first draft.

I'm going to have a look at his latest rules package and make some recomendations which Mr hooper can use or discard. I also am going to look at some comparisons between road race cage design, and what is proposed for the outlaw, and try to make some engineering based gueses about what would be appropriate keeping in mind that this machine at it's weight and speeds propbably will not experiance the higher G (50+) impacet loading that cars can acheive.

Thanks
Josh Wilson
USSA155

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros