Subscribe Today

36+ Champs racing for the WC in 2012 ???

Postby tonyave » March 1st, 2011, 1:23 pm

Ron,
All I can tell you is in Hurley WI we would get 12 inches of snow overnight, I would get up at 430 am and plow out the dealership lot and be in high school by 8 am. Down here they call off school if a dusting is possible. I'm not kidding...
tonyave

Postby Pipe dream racing » March 1st, 2011, 1:40 pm

Shocks should have option of being Elka as well.
[i]James Lemire[/i]
Pipe dream racing

Postby huey2430 » March 1st, 2011, 1:41 pm

It doesnt require a dusting in Alabama or GA. All they have to do is put it in the forecast and the kids are home for a day or two!!!
TB
huey2430

Postby Spy-Guy 74 » March 1st, 2011, 2:30 pm

Well here goes, a broken promise by me as I said I would no longer post my view on this site. Four rows of eight sleds at Eagle River wouldn't interest me in the least for the Derby Championship period. The new format with two sets of finishes is enough change for me, and I have not totally accepted that change fully either yet!

With 32 sleds on the track at once lapped traffic would be a problem, the amount of red flags thrown would put me over the edge either as a racer or a fan watching. In a perfect world watching everyone going to the final would be great, but has no place in racing or at least at this level. Trust me Nascar has cars in the final that have no reason to be out on the track on Sundays. I rather like the idea when ten or twelve sleds go out for a final that anyone on the track can win on a given day if it's there day!

John I like some of your ideas very much, will give ovals some added life for sure and if you can bring back some of the racers from the past all the better. Just don't make to many changes all at once, it's really hard to keep us all happy campers. If all goes as planned make sure there is no wiggle room in the rules, get a set that doesn't need changing for at least five years right from the start of your new classes being implemented to us.

This will be a hard part, try to make tech the same or near the same at all venues that will be using your new classes or combined classes. Will make life much easier for everyone involved racers or the tech people too.

A final note, and this comes from a fan's stand point, I really liked when Eagle River brought the top three from a final in the pro classes back to the starting line and Ted did a interview with them. For a true oval race fan this was much better or made the show more to me than some fill in time. If there needs to be a break for some reason, I think getting the fans involved with a interview would be much better than a dog and pony show of sorts. That last comment is slamming no one, it's just how this particular fan sees it, I went the races for one purpose and that was the racing and the people involved with the racing and nothing else. In most cases I went home happy and felt the money spent was well spent too.

Sorry for the broken promise, it won't happen again! I've lost 58 pounds in two months plan on being on the track next year in F-500 class myself, won't have time to be a internet racer myself. Stop in at the trailer next year the door is always open to anyone, parts, advice, or food is always ready you just have to ask.

Greg Peterson the Former Spy-Guy 74 ;)
Spy-Guy 74

Postby 323Driver » March 1st, 2011, 3:58 pm

Well said Greg, and good to have your input back. I agree with the theory of "not changing too much at once." USSA, more specifically, Jerry K., designed a class four years ago to accomodate some of what we felt were the out of date or less competitive sleds. Limited 500 and 600 have shown both growth and very competitive racing. But this class is somewhat stagnant as is all of motorsports racing in general. In my opinion, as has been said so well on other posts, a rising tide lifts all boats. Simply put, a lot of guys would love to be racing but can't afford it. Bring back good jobs, and the entries will follow closely behind.
I don't think another class will do anything more than dilute what is already present.
Greg, if you keep losing weight at this rate, you won't be able to hang on to a F-500. Keep up the good work, and see you next year.

Chip
323Driver

Postby that 31 car » March 1st, 2011, 4:41 pm

John: Not trying to confuse the issue, I just meant that these LTD rules could well be the basis for the additional sleds for the Champ class and the WC. Just a mis understanding.Rules are similar to what you proposed, so if they could be made legal for competition with a Champ sled, I think it could be very interesting.

Thanks for your continued efforts
Korinek
that 31 car

Postby huey2430 » March 2nd, 2011, 2:43 am

Guys---in my humble opinion, the Champ class and its relationship to ER should be left alone. The competition level is up and the class appears to be maturing very well. With that being said, I think John is on to a great plan with his "Outlaw" deal---lets not lose the focus, Champ will take care of itself if left alone, while the Outlaw class will require the nurturing of a new born, just as F-500 did a few years back.

BTW-Greg, do you plan on eating at all in 2011? Sounds like you are doing very well!!! Keep it up! :)

TB
huey2430

Postby Ski-DooRon » March 4th, 2011, 1:05 pm

Spy Guy: Maybe 32 sleds in the feature would be a bit much although 7 that finished this past year hardly is enough sleds at the finish. In my opion there could be 16 sleds and not hurt the show.I can't remember how wide the starting line is there? 12 sleds at 5' per sled would only be 60' with ample room between sleds with the remaing 4 or so in the back row. With a higher amount of sleds taking into account sleds that DNF there might be more than 10 running at the finish.Lapped traffic is something that is present in all forms of racing and will always be there.Just my opinion.Ron Lance
Ski-DooRon

Postby Ovals Forever » March 4th, 2011, 3:00 pm

They put 10 on the front row and 2 on the back row.
10 is the limit on the front row, but 4 more could be put on the back row
Ovals Forever

Postby tonyave » March 4th, 2011, 3:36 pm

We started 18 sleds at ER, and all Sport Series races, in 94 I think it was.
tonyave

Previous

Return to Ovals & Enduros