Subscribe Today

Sprint 600

Sprint 600

Postby Bob Vehring » March 1st, 2011, 3:47 pm

First let me say hello, we are new to this.
My Son Regan just started racing in the last two races of the USSA series. He has raced other things all his life and is now lovin this.

Our choice of class was the Sprint 600 class, we had a good time but a lot to learn. In the two races we went to, their was only one other person in this class, wondering if this is normal or if normally more show up.
Bob
Bob Vehring
www.4cyclecentral.com
www.120sledracer.com
Bob Vehring

Sprint 600

Postby that 31 car » March 1st, 2011, 4:43 pm

Bob:
Class was large in the past. Lot of guys went away from it due to cost of building a competitive one. Can build a limited or even a good Semi Pro Champ for a reasonable dollar, compared to a Sprinter. Good Chassis cost money, and to develop a top shelf air cooled motor again drove the cost.
that 31 car

Sprint 600

Postby watcher » March 1st, 2011, 4:50 pm

Sorry to say that the Sprint class got some bad rap the last few years, was at one time a very good class. The F-500 class has good entries and so does the Limited 500 class. Plan on coming to the Spring Drivers Meeting and Banquet in Wausau in April (info on USSA web site). There normaly is good info on what the plans are for next year. How old is your Son Regan?

Watcher (Terry K)
watcher

Sprint 600

Postby Bob Vehring » March 2nd, 2011, 3:16 am

Thanks for the info guys, We will be at the Banquet.
Regan is 31 years old and has been at a racetrack every weekend, summer and winter since he was bourn :) He has raced Karts in Sprint,Oval and Road Racing all his life and is many time National Champion. His day job is building engines and chassis components for Karts in the summer and the 120 sled in the winter, both SnowX and ovals.

Corect me if I'm wrong but I thought both F-500 and Limited 500 were based on stock sleds. Our thinking was, if the goal is to eventuly work our way to the Champ class, starting with that style of chassis would allow us to learn that style chassis as we progress.. We are extreemly lucky to have the help and support of some really good people in this sport, Diamond Racing, Tommy Lipar, Josh Wilson and Perry Erlich. To guide us along. Hopefully we will get to meet some of you at the USSA Banquet.
Bob
www.4cyclecentral.com
www.120sledracer.com
Bob Vehring
www.4cyclecentral.com
www.120sledracer.com
Bob Vehring

Sprint 600

Postby tuner78 » March 2nd, 2011, 3:28 am

Bob,
The Limited 500 and 600 are a custom (champ) chassis with a couple of "limiting" rules to keep the costs in check. I have built two of them myself and would be more than willing to share our experiences if it would help. The chassis that you are running from the Diamonds could be made class legal for Limited with some changes. I will be at the banquet, look me up.
WINNERS:
Show up prepared
Are never intimidated
Don't give up
Are professional
Keep the faith

[b]Team Behn Racing[/b]Tuner78
tuner78

Sprint 600

Postby Bob Vehring » March 2nd, 2011, 4:18 am

Were easy to spot, I'm 5'6 or 5'3 depending on which leg I stand on. Regan is 6'3, I have no idea were that came from :)
Bob Vehring
www.4cyclecentral.com
www.120sledracer.com
Bob Vehring

Sprint 600

Postby watcher » March 2nd, 2011, 4:28 am

Bob, John is one of the best, full of info, Great guy, built some fast and good stuff on the track. John i also need to talk to you about a chassis that you said you had for sale.

Will also be at the Spring Meeting, we will have to meet :)

watcher
watcher

Sprint 600

Postby tuner78 » March 3rd, 2011, 1:38 am

Watcher,

Still have chassis available, it's one of Jeff's that he built for Chip. Call anytime, you have my number.
WINNERS:
Show up prepared
Are never intimidated
Don't give up
Are professional
Keep the faith

tuner78

Sprint 600

Postby tuner78 » March 3rd, 2011, 1:39 am

Chassis is a roller w/o clutches & currently has a rev style hood, I have the cat plastic for it also.
WINNERS:
Show up prepared
Are never intimidated
Don't give up
Are professional
Keep the faith

tuner78

Sprint 600

Postby Bob Vehring » March 4th, 2011, 3:33 am

Good Mourning guys. After thinking on this much of last night, I have another question. On the USSA site/ class desriptions, under Pro Sprint 600 it says

" This class has the same speed potential on smaller tracks as Champ 440 sleds and sometimes "promotor option" classes are created to allow the two classes to compete."

Now I know were not ready to jump in with the big boys yet, I do see mention of a semi Pro Champ classes, but don't see it specificly adressed under "class descriptions". Am I correctin assuming that the only differance between Champ and Semi Pro Champ is driver ability?

For the last 20 years I have been one of the 8 people running one of the countries largest Kart racing tracks. I'm well aware of the problems of mixing classes, I also understand the time of day and work issues of running classes with very small entries. If Sprint 600 turned out to have low entries, would they combine these classes?
I'm not trying to ripple the waters here, just decide if we have chosen the right road
Bob Vehring
www.4cyclecentral.com
www.120sledracer.com
Bob Vehring

Next

Return to Ovals & Enduros