Subscribe Today

Champ/Factory600/Outlaw600

Postby SCM Tech » April 22nd, 2011, 6:31 am

A good thing for the future of oval racing is change. In the Factory 600 class if you change the decals on the hood and put the one of the current year, in the eyes of the spectator you have a new sled and this is not an expensive thing to do. If the model of the hood changes and you want to have this new look than you just have to change your hood. I think that one of the reasons why we are loosing spectators in oval racing on ice, is that for several years the sleds competing have the same look and the same colours each consecutive year. The spectator that comes to the races each year and sees no change on the track, always the same old looking sleds and the same old show, than they finally decide not to come back the following year. Go see for yourself.. if you look at the photos on Michel Breault's site http://www.pbase.com/bromic and back up several years you will see what the spectator sees each year. The spectator does not see what is underneath the hood, nor does he see what great changes you have made under the hood, what he does see are the changes you have made to the hood and he will believe that you have bettered your sled. Changes in the look of your sled will incite them to come back the following year to see something new.

Personally, I would like to thank teams such as Chartier, Shultz, Van Strydonk and others in the Champ class, who had the foresight to change the image of their sleds to an innovative and new look. I believe that their presence in Valcourt with Chartier's victory on the Friday with a NEW LOOK SKI DOO, and Van Strydonk's victory on the Sunday with a RECENT POLARIS LOOK, greatly helped us in our goal with the Factory 600 class. For me the Champ class should always be at the top of the ranks but even in the Formula 1 racing the teams show a new model each year. I do think there may be a good reason behind this, mainly marketing and promotion. I hope that the Champ Teams will understand the message, whether on the EPT, ORA, or USSA circuits. With new classes such as OUTLAW 600 and FACTORY 600, if the CHAMP TEAMS renew their image than the Champ will remain 1st in the ranks as being the most technologically advanced sled and together we can bring back Oval Snowmobile Racing on Ice where it belongs.a First Class Event!!

This said, gentlemen of our Champ class, instead of complaining that John Hooper and I are working against the Champs, you should perhaps sit down at the drawing board with your colouring pencils sharpened to give your Champ sleds a facelift.

Claude Paiement
EPT
Claude Paiement
Eastern Pro Tour
SCM Tech

Postby 2tracksnflatout » April 23rd, 2011, 2:36 am

2tracksnflatout

Postby kh550 » April 24th, 2011, 2:50 pm

Very good post. This got me to thinnking that spectators can relate to Arctic Cat vs Polaris vs Ski Doo vs Yamaha -- but they don't relate to specific Champ equipment such as Wahl chassis, Hooper or LRM engines; or things like that as well. So, unless they know the drivers well enough, it's hard for them to distinguish one sled from another. Again, it comes back to marketing and promotion.

Speaking of marketing and promotion, Champ 440 need to drop 440 from its name NOW if it hasn't already done so. I know the whole Champ name has been talked about before, but how does it continue to look to an average racing fan if the premier ice oval class is running smaller engines than these other classes? If the Champ name is going to stick for now, at least pull the 440 from the name -- call it Champ Unlimited or even Pro 1 Champ.
kh550

Postby SCM PRES. » April 25th, 2011, 12:51 am

On the EPT, since 2008, we used the CHAMP name for the class. We informed the track announcer to use that same wording and forget about the 440. (Of course, the drivers were informed that the class wasn't 600...).

Marcel Fontaine
S.C.M.
SCM PRES.

Postby 2tracksnflatout » April 25th, 2011, 3:47 am

2tracksnflatout

Postby HEAVYMOD » April 25th, 2011, 12:13 pm

Nascar seems to do just fine with consumer styling. Nothing real high tech or exotic about a Holley carburetor yet it works. Who makes more $$$$$ Nascar or Indy series, which series gets more spectators? Oval racing was at its pinnacle when the factories were involved. A class like this may be the first step to return to that level and revive the factories interest. Sno X is a perfect example of factory involvement & success. Just my thoughts, not bashing anyone.
HEAVYMOD

Postby 2tracksnflatout » April 26th, 2011, 3:32 am

2tracksnflatout

Postby kenlacy » April 26th, 2011, 6:05 am

Nascar was larger years before the idiots in open wheel stuck their heads up their azzes and split. I am a fan of both open wheel (more F1 than indy/cart/irl)and NASCAR.

Not sure what you are getting at with "lack of competitive fields"? As compared to what? F1 had 3-4 guys win every race last season (19 races). F1 is the worst politically run racing circuit on the planet - yet the cars and the drivers abilities are amazing - if they every gained any parity, it could give NASCAR a run for its money in the US.

Open wheel in the US is similar yet they ruin it even more by running too many ovals - those cars need rights and lefts to keep it interesting.

Nascar had 15 different winners in 36 races. Trucks and Nationwide are similar.

So when you say lack of competitive fields - what are you comparing it too?
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Postby 2tracksnflatout » April 26th, 2011, 6:13 am

2tracksnflatout

Postby kenlacy » April 26th, 2011, 6:31 am

I agree with watching F1, those cars are amazing. It still doesn't touch soccer (which is like watching paint dry - I coach and play it), not even close.

As for the big wrecks, that is just the plate tracks where that previously existed. Now the pairs racing at the big tracks has added new excitement - last week was a testament to that. The new cars have brought the fields even closer together, they just don't wreck nearly as easily, which is missed for sure. I agree, many of the races (particularly the 1 1/2 mile tracks) have become less interesting.

Now if they would limit the 2nd year/experienced Cup drivers to only race a max of 8 nationwide races, they could make Nationwide series a lot more interesting.
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Next

Return to Ovals & Enduros