Subscribe Today

Outlaw 600 - Breakdown Procedure

Postby TWag1 » December 2nd, 2011, 2:00 am

Not sure if this has been discussed or not, but looking for thoughts as the Outlaws are hitting the track now.

Because we have a driver actually belted into a cockpit, he is not able to quickly "dismount" and escape to the infield when his machine loses power during a race.

Tradition is to stay green as long as the driverless disabled machine is considered out of harm's way, even if it is still somewhat on the racing surface. I would think this creates a bit of a different situation now.

My inclination would be that we'd caution the race if the machine is still "on the ice", get the driver out safely, then go back green.

Again - looking for thoughts.
TWag1

Postby mbenoy119 » December 2nd, 2011, 2:41 am

I have also given this some thought and I agree with you Tom. Because the driver cannot simply jump off and into the infield, I believe the use of caution laps in this class is a safer method. Also, because of the limited amount of laps that will be allotted, I would say to NOT count the laps under caution.

The next question is whether or not to give the leader his choice of inside or outside on restarts? I'm assuming the rolling starts will be double file? For scoring purposes and keeping things moving efficiently, it may be time for all events to prepare to move to real-time electronic scoring as well in the near future.
mbenoy119

Postby PDRacing » December 2nd, 2011, 3:42 am

On those same lines, would there not have to be slightly heaver recover vehicles for crashes and break downs?

The recovery vehicles should have Fire Extinguishers and perhaps Hydraulic Jaws, cordless cut saw, or cordless power band saws with them should the cage somehow become even slightly crushed and the driver unable to get out.

Even with a regular Sled, Our association now has Tools and Impacts ready to go since the incident where a fellow driver had his arm stuck (broke in 3 places) in my rear skid. It was a mad scramble to find tools to drop the skid and get his arm out of the sled while he lay there bleeding and in great pain.
Richard Scroggs #13 EPT
PDRacing

Postby Flatout » December 2nd, 2011, 4:02 am

Im sure that the tools would be DEWALT TOOLS at the ready. :C
Flatout

Postby bub37 » December 3rd, 2011, 2:47 pm

CPTC had the Beausejour Fire Dept parked right beside the Ambulance all day. A fully loaded rig I presume, heavy hydrolics and all. They the bases covered.
bub37

Postby TWag1 » December 5th, 2011, 9:49 am

Mike,

Been thinking about the restarts as well. With the flagman on the ground, was wondering if the outside row guys - 2nd row back - are hampered to some degree because their view of the flags could potentially be obstructed by the inside row.

Car tracks and associations have different methods, one of them being single file restarts from the first caution. I know the inital start is 2x2, but the old adage seems to come into play - cautions breed cautions.

Again - just my inclination - but was thinking 2x2 on the initial start, then single file on restarts - which I think would allow a better view of the flag for the guys 3rd on back.

Fans like 2x2 restarts, but thinking in the first year at least, as teams adapt to the new machine and the way it handles, maybe single file is a better alternative??

Wondering what the feedback was from the track.

Thanks!
TWag1

Postby 440Mod » December 5th, 2011, 9:54 am

On a side note, the flag men/women who are in the corners better keep their heads up and be aware when the Outlaws are on the track. One of the Outlaws got loose and cut right through the infield this weekend with the flagman narrowly missing getting run over in corner 2.

I realize this can happen with any sleds on the track but that Outlaw cut through the infield as good as any ATV would have! :)

Wayne
440Mod

Postby mbenoy119 » December 5th, 2011, 10:03 am

Tom, I think staggered single file restarts would be fine, but in 8 Outlaw races this weekend, we never had to restart a race! Drivers don't come off...when they spun out, they turned back around and kept racing.

As for the initial start, I think I would lean towards starting them 3 wide or even 4 wide. I don't an issue with it at all at this point.
mbenoy119

Postby WAVEY DOG #26 OSRF » December 5th, 2011, 10:06 am

Wayne as far as I am concerned the race director or the Starter flagman should review their location. I used to like to see a snow berm and a few hay bales for cover. Very good point I know it's a dangerous place to be, especially in corner one! David
DAVID RIEMENSCHNEIDER
WAVEY DOG #26 OSRF

Postby kenlacy » December 5th, 2011, 10:27 am

Defintely 3 or 4 wide starts. Car races run a lot more laps. If 2 wide in a heat race and you are in the 4th row, there aren't enough laps to have a prayer unless you are bad ass faster than everyone else.

Also, if an oulaw is stalled on the track - full coarse red. Trev was stalled in turn 3 and only the turn 3 worker had red - all the rest had no flags up. Moyle just about piled into him (no fault of his). The first two outlaws into that corner saw him, but the others had little prayer of seeing through the dust.

Electric start would be huge for quickly clearing the track in that case too.
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Next

Return to Ovals & Enduros