Subscribe Today

Snow-dust

Snow-dust

Postby that 31 car » December 8th, 2011, 1:38 pm

All good ideas, but in practicality and application, some work, and some don't. AND it varies track to track. At Eagle down in the bowl,if it's cold the dust just hangs, wind helps, but it has to be from the proper direction.
Valcourt's issue was well explained and has more to do with time of day.
Question was did the wood chips keep the dust down, yes, but this was in the 70's, just starting to go from snow to ice racing, different studs, cleated tracks, no where near the power.
I personally tried the wetting the ice before a feature in Ironwood about 1983 or so. Not a good deal, any extra moisture ended up on the goggles, FROZE. And the moisture that did glaze the track actually added to the dust as it came off, it was virtually a lighter particle and really swirled and hung there.
Some sort of pulsing light may be the answer, but as previous posters stated, you still are limited in distance when you see it. And if separation happens, the driver has no illumination to make him visible. I agree we need something, frankly don't know what, just yet.
that 31 car

Snow-dust

Postby prochamp » December 8th, 2011, 4:15 pm

[quote=that 31 car].
Some sort of pulsing light may be the answer, but as previous posters stated, you still are limited in distance when you see it. And if separation happens, the driver has no illumination to make him visible. I agree we need something, frankly don't know what, just yet.[/quote]

Jerry
I have several helmets that have LED lights built into the helmet. You can make them flash in different modes. You can also get them to attach to your brake light for bikes. Just FYI
prochamp

Snow-dust

Postby that 31 car » December 8th, 2011, 5:05 pm

Thanks Pro Champ. Direct me to a site if possible.
Thanks again!!!!
that 31 car

Snow-dust

Postby prochamp » December 8th, 2011, 11:42 pm

[url=http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/parts+&+extras/communications+&+electronics/g+max_l.e.d.+wireless+brake+light+kit?utm_source=gps&utm_medium=csn&utm_term=L.E.D.+Wireless+Brake+Light+Kit&utm_campaign=parts+&+extras-communications+&+electronics&gclid=COTZn4j09KwCFRECQAodbjHxUg]helmet brake light kit[/url]

Jerry
here is a kit from Gmax Helmets
I will try and take a video of it flashing and post it

Atlantis (good)
[url=http://atlantispowersports.com/wirelesshelmetlight.htm]Atlantis[/url]

and riderlight not sure of this quality
[url=http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/riderlight/]riderlight[/url]
prochamp

Snow-dust

Postby WAVEY DOG #26 OSRF » December 9th, 2011, 2:30 am

Another precaution other than the lights mentioned in the previous posts is marking the track with really bright signage! The inside bank needs to be marked really well along with outside bank. The hay bales on the outside of the track actually are pretty good visibility as long as we keep them free from snow through out the weekend. The inside bank we could make 2'by2' signs stuck into the snowbank. I realize we don't always have a inside bank to put the stakes into so other options need to be at the ready in that case. I also think it's a good idea when building a track to have the loader drop some snow in corner 1 and 3 for the flagman to have some protection. I know if i was a corner flagman I would have a hole to dive into just in case. When I was a starter I always had set a penetrator studs under my boot, these were clip on style that ice fisherman use. These are just some ideas I have about track safety. David
DAVID RIEMENSCHNEIDER
WAVEY DOG #26 OSRF

Snow-dust

Postby TigorRacing176 » December 9th, 2011, 2:50 am

A crew member of ours will be makings LED lights for your helmet. They will be orange to go with the "DONT HIT ME IM THE DRIVER" affect. Pricing will be based on what we can get all the equipment for. These will be available on a regular basis on the EPT.

Anthony Pettinelli III #177
TigorRacing176

Snow-dust

Postby lugsharvey » December 9th, 2011, 2:51 am

That was 86 in ironwood when the 'zamboni' effect was tried. Seemed like the thing to do at the time.....

Jacques counting down the straight is just what we did with 12 twins on the track. I used to look off to the side and know when to turn based on signage. Dave is right, you need banks and bright colors everywhere on the sides of the track.

One thing on the bright orange, yes its the best solution, however there are times when the lighting is such that the only color you see is the black or dark colors.

This has been an issue since the first race i remember attending, ironwood when yvon couldnt see jim adema. Would be nice to find a solution of some sort.

Tony Ave
lugsharvey

Snow-dust

Postby mod1r » December 10th, 2011, 3:40 am

I really think it is time to make BJ smaller. This would help a little with snow dust because with the speeds down a bit they woundnt tear up the track as much so quickly, plus they could maintain it quicker. The snow dust seems to be getting worse over the last couple years and part of it is the set ups now coupled with the speed now makes for a less then desired out come. I know the old timers like the old big track but when it was built they went 60-70 mph now they are doing 110 plus.Even if there is still some snow dust crashing at 80 and crashing at 110 are very differnt.I race cars and a lot of our 1/2 mile tracks are getting made into 3/8s or smaller. It makes for safer and better racing. JMO.

Rick Delaine
www.delaineracing.ca
mod1r

Snow-dust

Postby Fontaine Racing » December 10th, 2011, 5:40 am

as for track size. I cant see as it makes much difference?
rock rapids is one of the smaller tracks we run on and the snow dust can be brutal there also.
not an expert on why this occurs, but i think weather conditions play the biggest role?
I do know one thing. we are way past the time to try and figure out a resolution to driving 90+ mph with no vision!
I am with SPY Guy, we live in a world with a lot of technology, and just plain smart people.
It Is also time for us racers, parents, crews, and enthusiasts,to start bonding together to promote more safety,in a time when it seems to me we may be going a little backwards in this dept.
instead of showing up like pigs at a trough, panting to get on the track. first thing we should do is inspect the track we will be racing on! if there are things that should be adressed they could be taken care of before anyone gets on the track, I know anyone providing us a track to race on that would probably appreciate our input and look into the issue.

example of myself being guilty of the pig thing.
standing on the track at BJ. waiting to restart the champ final sunday afternoon (last race of the weekend) realize there is NO ornge snow fence on the first set of bales, a key part of making things safer. (it is a little late to bring this up now?).

dont get me wrong, I am not out to bash anyone or any place!
NOR DID THE LACK OF SNOWFENCE PLAY ANY ROLE IN ANY WRECKS OR INJURIES!!

what I am saying Is that I am totally dissapointed with myself! for not being a responsible parent, and inspecting things before we started racing.
I plan on changing my ways and hope many others will join in.

back to the snowdust
lets not give up on finding a way to tame this monster,it is the most importantant safety Issue we are facing right now.
Curtis is still looking through this as I type.
please dont let this thread fade!!! we need to keep after this.
Doug Fontaine
Fontaine Racing

Snow-dust

Postby PDRacing » December 10th, 2011, 6:40 am

I realize it might get expensive and alot of work but, Bright Orange bail wraps for the out side and inside corners would help alot.
They would also help keep the bails dry!

The wraps could travel with the particular series.

I know last year at one race I went to the promoter and requested twice as many cones on the inside corners, since You couldn't see a thing in the dust with what they had.

He quickly obliged and it helped huge.

Our association does a track walk with 3-4 selected drivers and they get to voice their opinion if they feel the track is safe, one of these things should be if there is enough highlighting as to where the edge of the track is.

Of course even if all this is done, you still won't see a crash in front of you in bad snow dust.

Short of Infrared visors, I really don't see a great solution for that issue.
Richard Scroggs #13 EPT
PDRacing

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros