Subscribe Today

Snow-dust

Snow-dust

Postby Petawawarace » December 8th, 2011, 3:06 am

Has anyone tried using a small amount of wood pulp mixed in with the ice? Do you think this would reduce the amount of ice dust left hanging in the air?
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

Snow-dust

Postby WAVEY DOG #26 OSRF » December 8th, 2011, 3:38 am

Yes eagle river used to use saw dust, it just introduced a bunch of dirt to the ice! The carbides and carbide studs were trash along with my handling after a few laps. David
DAVID RIEMENSCHNEIDER
WAVEY DOG #26 OSRF

Snow-dust

Postby dimanche » December 8th, 2011, 4:33 am

Jeff,

It is appreciated to have a driver who experienced a great deal of snow-dust over his career to delve into this topic.

Patrick
dimanche

Snow-dust

Postby Petawawarace » December 8th, 2011, 4:54 am

David, Did it keep the snow-dust down?
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

Snow-dust

Postby WAVEY DOG #26 OSRF » December 8th, 2011, 7:57 am

I can't remember that was before the Deckers bought the track? I always found a good holeshot helped with the snow dust I was experiencing;)! David
DAVID RIEMENSCHNEIDER
WAVEY DOG #26 OSRF

Snow-dust

Postby Flatout » December 8th, 2011, 8:30 am

Snowdust or more exactly hanging ice crystals has always been a problem and a low in the sky sun at around the time the final runs makes it even worse. Valcourt down the backstrtch is the worst. A few races in Valcourt they held the final off until the sun went below the horizon to make it better. Extreme cold an little wind exacerbate the problem even further. I think the solution may be to mandate flashing lights on the back of the sleds in snow dust conditions like they do in F1 when it rains.
Flatout

Snow-dust

Postby Petawawarace » December 8th, 2011, 8:35 am

Flashing lights may help to see other sleds, if they are directly in front of you. Not to mention that you only get to see the light 30 or 40 feet before you get there. Thats not enough time to make a direction change. You also have the problem of being able to see where the racing surface is. I remember Jason Lavalle driving right off of turn 3 in Valcourt because it was so bad. I'm pretty sure he ended up in the next county, luckily it wasn't turn 1.

David,

Yes holeshots help the snow-dust problem greatly..just not everyone is lucky enough to have a great holeshot.
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

Snow-dust

Postby rotaxracer33 » December 8th, 2011, 9:22 am

Brooms would be great.
rotaxracer33

Snow-dust

Postby drivergus » December 8th, 2011, 9:34 am

ok just an idea here.But has anyone ever tried wetting the track down a little before the finals....?
Dan Bishop
drivergus

Snow-dust

Postby smalls10 » December 8th, 2011, 10:41 am

[quote=drivergus]ok just an idea here.But has anyone ever tried wetting the track down a little before the finals....?[/quote]
Yes it's been tried...even harder to see through frozen moisture on your goggles.
smalls10

Next

Return to Ovals & Enduros