Subscribe Today

FACTORY 600 gaining steam

Postby kenlacy » April 25th, 2012, 1:51 pm

Only way for 4-strokes would be to do a preseason inspection with engine seals that can't be tampered with. Would have to be done by one major body to certify for all - or one in the midwest and one for the east. If any reason for a rebuild - they would have to go through a re-inspection. This process would be expensive in comparison to two stroke tech and you would have to figure out if the particular team gets charged or the sanctioning body pays.

A lot of mess/expense for a few entries. There would have to be a significant number of 4-strokers wanting to get involved or a forced move to 4-strokes (like motocross) for it to make sense.
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Postby lynxer » April 25th, 2012, 2:08 pm

[quote=kenlacy]Only way for 4-strokes would be to do a preseason inspection with engine seals that can't be tampered with. Would have to be done by one major body to certify for all - or one in the midwest and one for the east. If any reason for a rebuild - they would have to go through a re-inspection. This process would be expensive in comparison to two stroke tech and you would have to figure out if the particular team gets charged or the sanctioning body pays.

A lot of mess/expense for a few entries. There would have to be a significant number of 4-strokers wanting to get involved or a forced move to 4-strokes (like motocross) for it to make sense.[/quote]

yeah for sure

I think if the person wanted to run the Yamaha/four stroke let them, but they would have to pay for the inspection and have as full proof (as possible)way to seal the engine and put a hefty punishment on if found its found to have been tampered with it. (one year suspension something) I am not planning on it nor would I want to do a 4 stroke, but I think it could be cool to see.
lynxer

Postby crwdog » April 25th, 2012, 6:06 pm

[quote=kenlacy]Only way for 4-strokes would be to do a preseason inspection with engine seals that can't be tampered with. Would have to be done by one major body to certify for all - or one in the midwest and one for the east. If any reason for a rebuild - they would have to go through a re-inspection. This process would be expensive in comparison to two stroke tech and you would have to figure out if the particular team gets charged or the sanctioning body pays.

A lot of mess/expense for a few entries. There would have to be a significant number of 4-strokers wanting to get involved or a forced move to 4-strokes (like motocross) for it to make sense.[/quote]

Is it good for the sport to tell Yamaha fans that their machines are too hard to tech so we dont want them?
As with any form of racing..... Figure out a way that all brands can compete. Its best for everyone and everything to have all brands on the race track competing
crwdog

Postby cat22 » April 25th, 2012, 10:48 pm

crwdog got that one EXACTLY right
cat22

Postby mbenoy119 » April 26th, 2012, 1:23 am

OK, tell me how you are going to tech them...I'm all ears
mbenoy119

Postby proton » April 26th, 2012, 2:06 am

Develop a program with Yamaha and ISR where the racer exchanges his engine for a factory/ISR sealed engine to put in his sled.
proton

Postby Bob Vehring » April 26th, 2012, 3:19 am

I'm a National certified Tech man for 4 cy engines in the Kart world. Other then size, I'm abit confused on the fear of teching a 4 cycle.
Valve train dementions and cam timing can be check by mounting a degree wheel on the pri. clutch, probably could do it with the stock clutch bolt, them mounting a dial indicator to the valve. You can check opening, closing, lobe profile and max lift. Checking for porting only requires the head be remover vs pulling the jug off the piston on a 2 cy. You can also check valve size at this point. Checking intake and ex. system is the same as 2 stroke.
I have no pup in this hunt, just don't think teching a 4 cy is as hard as some seem to think.
Bob Vehring
www.4cyclecentral.com
www.120sledracer.com
Bob Vehring

Postby kenlacy » April 26th, 2012, 3:33 am

Bob,

A big part of it is getting the engine to start with. While two strokes are getting tougher to get to, 4 strokes are 3 times the work (not like bikes or karts). I have a 4-stroke and I enjoy it thoroughly, I have no ill will toward 4-strokes. I have watched them try to tech 4-strokes at ER three years ago and everyone in the tech shack had the "do we really have to do that?" look on their faces. If I remember correctly, the 4-stroke racers said "screw it" and took DQ's. They did not want to spend two hours in the tech shack tearing down and rebuilding (after waiting 1 hour to get in there). To not tech them hard, is an injustice to everyone else.

I have no issue with figuring out a way. IMO - It just isn't likley going to happen trackside on race weekend - unless a special cicumstance for a rebuild.
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Postby mbenoy119 » April 26th, 2012, 4:13 am

[quote=proton]Develop a program with Yamaha and ISR where the racer exchanges his engine for a factory/ISR sealed engine to put in his sled.[/quote]

Dan, that is the only way I see it could work, and even with that, it takes time, money, and commitment in order to make it happen. I'm all for it, I just hate to see rules made that include something that the affiliates have no feasible means to regulate.

And Bob, best guess with a degree wheel and a mag-base mounted dial indicator in less than ideal conditions? That dog don't hunt.
mbenoy119

Postby Flatout » April 26th, 2012, 4:51 am

With the rule for 2 strokes now with open single pipe and any ignition program with a rev limiter why not allow the 4 strokes use any cam and a rev limiter. A bore scope can snoop for signs of porting or oversize intake valves easily with removal of the carbs which you will tech on 2 and 4 strokes hopefully. Squish clearance can be checked to make sure no one is shaving the head. What else do you want to tech?
HG
Flatout

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros