Subscribe Today

Fantasy Racing: Ovals

Fantasy Racing: Ovals

Postby JohnPrusak » November 21st, 2013, 2:46 pm

I'm setting up the Fantasy Racing Challenge game again here on SnowGoer.com, and last year some of you folks who played wished that we could have an ovals-only game. Well, the short answer is "Yes, we can" but I might need a little help. For those unfamiliar with what I'm talking about, it's a free, fantasy sports game where each player looks over a list of drivers, picks the top 5 or 6 and the order they think those drivers will finish in the Sunday final, and then gets points based on how close they are to the actual results in the race. We sometimes get prizes from sponsors and such, but it's free, easy and fun, and a season points champion gets crowned. (last year, by the way, that was ME!! HA!)

Here are my hurdles for doing an ovals-only board:
1) Will I get enough players to make it worth my web-guy's time? So basically, tell me if you're going to play.
2) Unlike snocross (or, "slowcross" to some of you!), with ovals it's a bit harder to determine, a week in advance of each race weekend, which drivers are going to be racing Champ 440 on a given weekend... Can anybody help me out with that?
3) Related to No. 2, it would be fun to kick this thing off at Beausejour... Can anybody make a real educated guess on exactly who will be racing Champ 440 at the CPTC on December 7-8 weekend?

Help me with some facts, and I'll get working on the back-side of making it happen here at the office. Thanks.
JohnPrusak
Snow Goer Staff

Re: Fantasy Racing: Ovals

Postby orv617 » November 22nd, 2013, 9:46 am

Good morning John, I would be happy to help out, I like the racing challenge it was fun to play, thanks for your time setting it up.
I can talk with the champ drivers and get an idea for you, so far for CPTC
13, Nick Van Strydonk,
53, Colt Dellandrea,
8, Travis Macdonald,
33, Malcolm Chartier,
616, Ryan Kniskern
A few teams that we talk with are working on sleds yet, will know more next week.
What ever you need just let me know, "I'll try" have a great day, Denise Wiedemeier
orv617

Postby Isanti » November 22nd, 2013, 10:02 am

Oval only would be a lot of fun along with a slowcross.
Long live Liberty twins
Isanti

Postby Ironwood Olympus » November 22nd, 2013, 11:47 am

I'd be up for playing - Sounds like fun!
Ironwood Olympus

Postby JohnPrusak » November 22nd, 2013, 2:32 pm

OK, so I'm thinking of getting some of the back-end work on this set up yet this afternoon... So, if a guy was going to set up a board, and have six oval races in it (and not counting the Soo -- that would be its very own contest), what would be best? TWO important challenges:
1) ABSOLUTELY no disrespect to BJ, but it seems like the who-will-be-there, who-won't-make-it game is always toughest at the early races.
2) ALSO for each game board (in this case, meaning ovals instead of snocross) I can only enter a racer's name once and then he has to stay in there. So, it's hard to do both East and Midwest (not to mention MIRA) because, for instance, I can't have PJ in for a race in Minnesota, then out for a race in Quebec, and then back in for a race back in Wisconsin, while having Curtis Weatherdom out in Minnesota, in at Quebec and then back out in Wisconsin, know what I mean? So, I can either just add all of the possible Champ racers, and it'll be up to players to know who will or won't be at a given race, or I just stick to (for instance) the Upper Midwest this year, and do, for instance, Ironwood, Eagle River, Wausau, Alexandria, Weyauwega and Garrison (for example), and maybe add in Valcourt, since that seems to gather most racers from all over...

Thoughts?
JohnPrusak
Snow Goer Staff

Postby Ironwood Olympus » November 22nd, 2013, 4:54 pm

John - You are the one doing all the work, so you earn the right to make the rules. For those that want to play, join. For those that choose not to play, so be it. Don't make it any harder than it has to be. Just my 2 cents.
Ironwood Olympus

Postby Bonn Cup » November 22nd, 2013, 7:00 pm

Hi John
Eganville draws a good Champ field. It is our 40th year plus we are increasing the purse to I believe
more than Valcourt.
Thanks
[b]Merv Boldt[/b]
Bonn Cup

Postby kh550 » November 24th, 2013, 3:24 pm

I'm in
kh550

Postby cat22 » November 24th, 2013, 10:41 pm

I'm in
cat22