Subscribe Today

observation

Re: observation

Postby prochamp » January 24th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Come on guys Give it a thought and stop with all the negativity and BS HP ratings. A 600 cc at 200 hp maybe but not likely. 300-400 HP HAHAHA be real.
TJ put this out there for positive thoughts not all the negativity without constructive conversation.

As you see the Entries in Champ 440 are getting fewer and fewer. Something new has to come about. Spectator appeal is also falling rapidly Look at the Derby Crowd How many Paid Non racers and or family members, were really there to spectate?? Only Chuck knows for sure and could tell us how bad the numbers were compared to past seasons. This has Nothing to do with the current Drivers and competiton, they are as close as ever. but what 18 sleds at the Derby 12 this week at the 525.
Was it really a good show of racing. Schultz ran away this year Great sled and was very fast but no real excitement anywhere else accept for Cardell and NIck for 2nd the last 2 laps with Schultz out of site.
The Coverage of the event was SUPER on the internet but if this becomes normal then How will the promoters survive if spectator crowd count continues down? Sponsor appeal should strengthen with this media coverage but just like your seeing in Nascar and Most Motorsports, the stands are empty compared to years past.
NHRA Drag Racing maybe the only one maintaining Spectator numbers, but weather and ticket cost is NOT OUTLANDISH
I dont have the answers thats for sure, but all avenues need to at least be talked about without just complete negativty

prochamp
prochamp

Postby diskvalve » January 25th, 2016, 5:01 pm

The Champ sleds are great, but the 440 engine packages are getting tougher to find and it might be time to consider some engine options. When I mention Champ racing to snowmobilers that at first seem interested they all lose interest with the tiny 440 motors and express disbelief that this is the premier class. How about incorporating stock 600 cc cylinders with 32 vm round slides as an engine option ? The 440s can still be fully modified with 34 vm round slides , allowing current Champ engine packages , but the 600 cylinders must stay stock with 32 mm carbs allowing them to be a viable option. All other things like compression ratio and pipes and ignition curves can be fully modified but the 600 cylinders must stay stock. I would also like to see all the hooker plates, especially the weld on style not allowed. This would keep traction down a little and the sleds would be a bit looser and less prone to high side . The spectators like the look of a powersliding sled .
HTML
diskvalve

Postby Ovals Forever » January 25th, 2016, 5:57 pm

prochamp wrote:Come on guys Give it a thought and stop with all the negativity and BS HP ratings. A 600 cc at 200 hp maybe but not likely. 300-400 HP HAHAHA be real.
TJ put this out there for positive thoughts not all the negativity without constructive conversation.

As you see the Entries in Champ 440 are getting fewer and fewer. Something new has to come about. Spectator appeal is also falling rapidly Look at the Derby Crowd How many Paid Non racers and or family members, were really there to spectate?? Only Chuck knows for sure and could tell us how bad the numbers were compared to past seasons. This has Nothing to do with the current Drivers and competiton, they are as close as ever. but what 18 sleds at the Derby 12 this week at the 525.
Was it really a good show of racing. Schultz ran away this year Great sled and was very fast but no real excitement anywhere else accept for Cardell and NIck for 2nd the last 2 laps with Schultz out of site.
The Coverage of the event was SUPER on the internet but if this becomes normal then How will the promoters survive if spectator crowd count continues down? Sponsor appeal should strengthen with this media coverage but just like your seeing in Nascar and Most Motorsports, the stands are empty compared to years past.
NHRA Drag Racing maybe the only one maintaining Spectator numbers, but weather and ticket cost is NOT OUTLANDISH
I dont have the answers thats for sure, but all avenues need to at least be talked about without just complete negativty

prochamp

The way you put fans in the stands is to put something so exciting on the track that fans like me will continue to drive 500 miles to see it.

As far as speeds hitting 140 on that track "Not Possible" The lap times were pretty close to being as fast as they can get on that track close to 40 years ago. Those RXL's weren't far from where the champs are today as far as speed goes
"On That Track"
Ovals Forever

Postby tonyave » January 25th, 2016, 7:51 pm

My buddy TJs thought is getting bogged down in specifics. His point stems from attending a race with a lot of entries, much like ER was when we did it. You hear a lot of talk about how the twin tracks hurt the sport, but thats actually inaccurate. They came in at a point where the factories were stopping, and actually extended interest in the top class for another 10-12 years past the point at which there were no more factory teams. There were a lot of sleds racing then, the thurday time ins continued to serve the purpose of eliminating the WC entries DOWN to 36, so that the heat/semi format could start. Thats right, over 40 entries in the WC class.

As I watched ER on Ditchbangers in the shop (along with a handful of southerners who cant figure out why you would actually race in such weather), I continue to be saddened to see the lack of racing. Champ is great in terms of spectacle if not in absolute numbers, Formula 500 works, but a lot of the rest of it is really dead. Im sad to say. But no real sled count, and this includes Outlaw, which we all hoped would take off but hasnt, at least not in the manner everyone who said it was going to 'safe the sport'. Hasnt worked unfortunately. And without a supporting cast, the entire event and Champ along with it will suffer, and be seen as a small time activity.

So TJs real point is, lets think of something to kick start it again......(and he knows I want to see it rebuild because every other year or so I text him to get me some sleds to race and meet me up north....unfortunately its not big enough to justify the time, so I stay in NC and build more cars and he goes go-kart racing)

Yes the F3 sleds were hard to ride, but there were plenty of us who could do it but didnt because it wasnt the WC class. Chuck Decker timed in at ER on one of Useldingers sleds like 4th one year, and I tested one of the factory Ski-Doos at Valcourt faster than all but 2 of the F3 guys were running that day. (And it was a hell of a lot easier to ride than the A Stock sleds they made me ride I can tell you that.).

Anyway, whatever ends up happening, somebody better figure out what people want to watch and race, or there will be no race. Its a sad day when an old F1 ice racer like me starts wondering if they should stop racing on ice and just pack snow around the oval and start using modified production machines. That would certainly solve the lack of stock class racing these days.

T
tonyave

Previous

Return to Ovals & Enduros