Subscribe Today

F500 help

F500 help

Postby ifswrenchman#89 » January 12th, 2013, 3:08 am

I want to wire up a tail light and my tach but do not know which wires to use coming off the motor any help would be great. I am useing the stock tach and a led 12v tail light.

Thanks Chris
H&T Racing#10
ifswrenchman#89

F500 help

Postby bobbygasser216 » January 12th, 2013, 4:14 am

any yellow is + brown -

you will have to use the voltage regulator if you want to power a light. one thing I am not positive about is if the current coming out of the regulator is DC or AC. If it is DC then its a regulator/rectifier. You don't need to use the regulator if you are only running a tach. You could use a small AGM 12V battery for the light or a 9V battery. Typically LED lights will work from 6-18 volts. I think the rules state that the light must stay lit when the sled is not running, so a battery would be the best route. If the current coming out of the regulator is DC than it could charge the AGM battery. which I've been thinking of doing myself but not sure about the current. I have a Indy classic in at the shop rite now, so I should take a look at it an see how it is wired for battery charging.
bobbygasser
bobbygasser216

F500 help

Postby HRA motorsports » January 12th, 2013, 4:44 am

the stator puts out AC current like in a house. If your snowmobile was equipped with efi or electric start then it will have a rectifier somewhere on it which switches the AC power from the stator to 12v DC power like in a car. Run your tail light off of battery power it needs to be on at all times even with the engine off or you wont make it through safety tech inspection.
HRA motorsports

F500 help

Postby Greg Bihner » January 12th, 2013, 2:36 pm

Yellow is hot brown is ground. Tie yellow to yellow on your voltage reg and then to yellow on your tach and brown to ground anywhere on the chassis. If you have 2 light circuits on your tail light I tie the the brighter light to the yellow wires and the other light to the battery. So if your battery circuit has a problem your tail light is still lit when the engine is running. You have a way better chance of bringing a lit tail light to the starting line with 2 different power sorces. Hope that makes sense.
Greg Bihner

F500 help

Postby ifswrenchman#89 » January 12th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Thanks guys for all the help i now have a battery opperated tail light and one that runs off the motor so that way there is no chance of not having a tail light when i get to the line. The led one i used off the engine is super bright so everyone can see it i ran in the snow at the dec cptc race on sat and could not see a lot of tail lights and just about ran into a few guys so i wanted something very bright.
ifswrenchman#89

Return to Ovals & Enduros