Subscribe Today

Yvon Gagne, Rest in Peace

Postby Flatout » August 21st, 2013, 6:23 am

It is with great sadness that I am announcing the passing of one of snowmobile racing long time fixtures and one of my fellow pipe builders Yvon Gagne. Yvon died suddenly of heart failure last week at his home in Valcourt Quebec. Yvon was a craftsman and a true race enthusiast. He worked with legends such as Yvon Duhamel and Gaston Ferland in the early days of Ski Doo race shop and was a steady fixture at the Race shop for many years. His pipes were legendary through the 70s and 80s where he earned the reputation of being one of the best pipe builders in the industry. For the last few years he worked as a private contractor for Ski Doo and built custom pipes for whatever you brought to his shop. He was involved at Ski Doo in more than just pipes as well. His ingenuity and his vision of "how things should be" had a big influence in the development of a lot of BRP products. Sometimes it got him in a bit of hot water like the time he took a brand new 4 wheeler and cut it in half without telling anyone and stretched it by a foot because he thought it was too short. When the head of the Research department found out he was pissed until he took it for a ride. Instead of being fired like he thought was going to happen, he was so impressed that they took his ideas and immediately created what is now known as the Outlander.

Yvon will be missed by the entire racing community. I would like to on behalf of myself and the entire Eastern Pro Tour offer our condolences to Yvon's family. God speed my friend!
Flatout

Postby Flatout » August 21st, 2013, 9:10 am

http://www.centrefuneraireyveshoule.com/fr/0/avisdeces/2784/Gagne.aspx
Flatout

Postby rfn99x » August 21st, 2013, 10:11 am

Godspeed. Prayers sent for family.
Jeff Karrow
rfn99x

Postby proton » August 23rd, 2013, 10:09 am

He is one person I would have liked to have met, heard alot of good things about him.

condolences to his family.

resting in the shadow of his wing
Daniel Dantuma
proton

Postby cat22 » August 23rd, 2013, 3:53 pm

In 1990 my dad and I went to Yvon to have a set of pipes built for our Ext Special which was a Prowler chassis with a 650 Wildcat motor for enduro racing here in Michigan. I remember when we got there, Yvon looked under the hood "Ooooh, tight fit, tight fit." Left the sled for a week and went back up to get it. The pipes were a work of art. Great guy. RIP
cat22

Return to Ovals & Enduros