Subscribe Today

Studding up.

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Studding up.

Postby Maniac » July 30th, 2002, 9:34 am

I gotta stud my sled for this season. I didn't want to but I really messed up my brand new track last season riding on the lake and the bare roads.
What I wanna know is how many I should get, which kind is the best and what size I need.
My sled is a '96 Ski-Doo F-III with an SC-10 installed on it. Track lug height is .75"
I wan't some killer grip but I don't want to push through corners either.
Anyone?

*This Message was edited on 30-Jul-02 02:35 PM by Maniac*
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

Studding up.

Postby hauler » July 30th, 2002, 11:21 am

If thats the original track I wouldn't bother studding, its most likely going too just rip apart. If its a newer track you said you damaged it last year running the roads it may not hold up as well, and if you run that much roads save your money cause you'll just wreck your studs faster then you did your track. Finally if you think your track is in good enough shape to handle the studs and your willing to stop running the roads,I hade 144 1 inches in my 1996 formula III back in 96. It hooked really well. With a little bit more ski pressure added it shouldn't push in the corners at all. But remember the more ski pressure the less traction , just try to find a good in between.
[b][blue]YAMAHA RX1[/b]
TURNING THE COMPETITION BLUE[/blue]
hauler

Studding up.

Postby F7neck » July 30th, 2002, 11:21 am

Maniac, if you go on Woody's website they have a chart that shows you how many studs you wan't for your application. Usually minimum recomended is 1 stud per hp. For a .75 inch lug track probably .92 or 1 inch studs. I use Woody's but I imagine some of the other brands are good too. If you put 144 studs in you should probably run at least 6" carbides so you don't push in the corners.

*This Message was edited on 30-Jul-02 04:23 PM by F7neck*
F7neck

Studding up.

Postby green patriot » July 30th, 2002, 1:15 pm

MANIAC 144 will be enough if you don't want it to push just stud the center belt use double digger pluse a single for each lug you still hook up and can still slide around corners
green patriot

Studding up.

Postby Maniac » July 31st, 2002, 9:03 am

Thanks for the info. I like to kick the rear end out around corners so that set-up sounds good to me. I may also put on a MBRP wide kit to reduce the ski lift a bit.
Thanks again guys.
BTW- The track was a new Bombardier track put on just before I bought the sled. Why anyone would buy a track from a dealer is beyond me, but oh well.
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

Studding up.

Postby Maniac » July 31st, 2002, 9:38 am

Does anyone know where I can get a stud pattern for the double diggers g.p told me to put on?
I like the looks of the dd's, just don't know where to put all the studs. I'm gonna go with 144 1" Woody's with double diggers.
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

Studding up.

Postby green patriot » July 31st, 2002, 12:12 pm

go to www.woodystraction.com go to tech tips. then go to stud patterns click on double digger they have 3 you can choose from 96, 144 or 192 see which pattern has the most scratch lines the more scratch line the more traction. Good luck
green patriot

Studding up.

Postby PRO-X » July 31st, 2002, 4:07 pm

The 2002High-Performance Engineering Mag has the Double Digger template for $35. If you dont have the magazine just go to www.hiperf.com
"Im not tailgating......Im drafting"
PRO-X

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum