Subscribe Today

BEST STUD PATTERN

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

BEST STUD PATTERN

Postby '01 MXZ 800 » October 24th, 2002, 3:30 am

O.K. ! I just don't remember Aluminum being that heavy!
I'm just letting you know that those plastic ones can break!You know when plastic gets cold it gets brittle and can crack!Do you see where I'm going with this?
'01 MXZ 800

BEST STUD PATTERN

Postby ZR800EFI » October 24th, 2002, 3:38 am

On my '99 ZR6 I had 144 placed on the inside and outside of the track using the V pattern. Never had a problem in 5000 miles.

On my '02 ZR8, I have 144 just down the middle using Woody's double-digger pattern. No problems so far in 1700 miles, and plan for a lot more this year.

Like said above, the outside if more for cornering and the inside is more for acceleration.

IMO, I don't think you'll have a problem with studs ripping out in either case if you don't over tighten them. Over tightening causes the track to weaken faster resulting in rip outs. The outside of the track is definitely strong enough for studs -- they shouldn't rip out any faster than the others.

I also don't think you'll have a problem with the plastic backers. I've never used them, but my brother-in-law and another buddy did a couple years ago and neither had a problem in about 2500 miles before trading their sleds. Again, I think you only run into problems if you over tighten.

I don't know about the plastic ones breaking...3/4 of the REV and FireCat are plastic and they won't be breaking...I hope! :)

*This Message was edited on 24-Oct-02 08:42 AM by ZR800EFI*
ZR800EFI

BEST STUD PATTERN

Postby PATHFINDER » October 24th, 2002, 6:00 am

THANKS FOR THE INFO ZR ,,,WHERE IS NORTH GOWER??
PATHFINDER

BEST STUD PATTERN

Postby snirt » October 24th, 2002, 6:59 am

pathfinder,
some buddies and i want to try riding in ontario, but we can't find a trail map to be able to get a hotel near the trail, and what not. where can i get a trail map, and where is the best riding? i live about 45min from port huron.
snirt

BEST STUD PATTERN

Postby ZR800EFI » October 24th, 2002, 8:02 am

PATHFINDER, North Gower is about 20-minutes south of Ottawa.

snirt, go to http://www.ofsc.on.ca/
There, you'll find under Links the Clubs menu. You can select the district you're interested in and many of the clubs should have trail maps on their site.

If you like nice wide open trails, the farther north the better. Most places north of North Bay are great! I try to get up there a couple times a year. South of Ottawa where I am, many trails are in fields -- not much scenery...

Any specific questions, let me know and I'll try to help out.
ZR800EFI

BEST STUD PATTERN

Postby SnowFever » October 24th, 2002, 11:36 am

The plastic are a lot lighter compared to aluminum, remember you are putting a 144 of these on your track, and that starts to add up really fast. My buddy uses plastic backers, he likes them cause they are cheaper, lighter, and they add color to your sled.
Don't worry the trees don't hurt that bad.

Ride DOO!!!

[red]GO BUCKS!!!!![/red]
SnowFever

BEST STUD PATTERN

Postby mx6 » October 24th, 2002, 11:53 am

Metal backers will bend when the track hits a rock etc, plastic will crack in half near the stud.Not really sure but studs on the outer belts also cause ski-lift.Go with metal.
Stewart Selid
mx6

BEST STUD PATTERN

Postby '01 MXZ 800 » October 25th, 2002, 9:52 am

MX6 you are right about the studs on the out side of the track causing ski-lift(too much traction!),and you also hit the nail right on the head about how plastic backers break from hitting stuff in the trails! Studs also wear out quicker outdsidde the windows! The good thing about studding down the center only, is you don't need many! 144 studs is enough(for any size c.c. sled) when you put them all down the middle!

Also,Another good tip for studding(have to give credit to my buddy GREG for this tip) to pass along to you is. Use a smaller diameter Track Hole Cutter(a.k.a track drill bit)than the diameter of the stud(ex. 1/4 inch for 5/16 studs not 7mm)Also spin the drill in the hole for about 15 or so seconds after you have made the cut!You should see a little smoke when you remove the bit from the track!That just seals(melts together) the rubber and fiber cords(prevents fraying of the cord) of the track to make them stronger!
'01 MXZ 800

BEST STUD PATTERN

Postby Black MXZ » October 25th, 2002, 11:11 am

I have a 2000 mxz700DPM with a superlite mufler. I would like to stud this sled. If I go with the 144 down the center,what size,type carbides would you use for the stock ski's? Should I get the new duel carbide ski's?? thanks ,Steve.
Black MXZ

BEST STUD PATTERN

Postby '01 MXZ 800 » October 25th, 2002, 11:33 am

What size track(lug height) do you have? That's the main thing you need to tell us first before you can get a reply!
'01 MXZ 800

PreviousNext

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum