Subscribe Today

The dealer said......

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

The dealer said......

Postby zl5 » December 31st, 2002, 10:10 am

Today I went to my local polaris dealer because I needed some boggy wheels. I got the boggy wheels fine. But I asked him about hood screens. I told him that I had a 2000 Indy Sport touring 550 fan. He yells over to the head guy and askes if they have them. In turn the Head guy tells me the that motor runs "HOT" with hood screens because there is not enough air movement through the hood with them in. I say "what?"
He says that the pipe runs hot and you will melt a piston. I started LOL. He's sad he wasent lieing. He said that all 550 polaris fans run HOT with screens. So I turn arround a litte steamed. And say out loud "THATS BULL SH1T" I walked over to a Indy 340 that had hood screns and asked why that sled had them in it He said THAT MOTOR the 340 RUNS COOLER. So I droped the subject. NOW I AM LOOKING FOR YOUR HELP. HAS ANY ONE RUN A HOOD SCREEN KIT IN THERE POLARIS 550 AND GOT IT HOT. OR IS THE DEALER JUST BLOWING SMOKE UP MY a$$.
Your input would be appreaceated.
zl5

The dealer said......

Postby Skidoois1 » December 31st, 2002, 10:18 am

i dont think the dealer will lie his way out of making money. of course if he was smart he would've sold them to you and then sold you a piston too when it burnt down.
Skidoois1

The dealer said......

Postby M.L.800REV X » December 31st, 2002, 10:30 am

sweet re.
M.L.800REV X

The dealer said......

Postby 01xedge » December 31st, 2002, 10:51 am

The wifes 2003 550 super sport came from the factory with the screens. If that were the case(getting hot) would they be sending them out form the factory with them already installed?
01xedge

The dealer said......

Postby mnsnowboy » December 31st, 2002, 11:13 am

Thats the biggest bunch of bull$hit that I have ever heard. I used to have a trail with snow screens and my buddy had a super sport 550 with screens and he never blew it. Thats total bogus crap that you shouldn't pay any attention to. You should have asked the dealer why it's an option on that sled then. He is nuts!

-sb
Kick ass!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/rocking.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/hellyeahFireIcon.gif[/IMG][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/bobZilla.gif height=90 width=20[/img]
mnsnowboy

The dealer said......

Postby Veedo » December 31st, 2002, 11:34 am

i just picked up a 03 550 fan summit and it came with screens only. on the liquid cooled summits they have them set up so you can shut them off for powder riding. when i asked he said the same thing, it would probobly get hot. different motor, but same principle i guess.

*This Message was edited on 31-Dec-02 04:40 PM by veedo*
Veedo

The dealer said......

Postby zl5 » December 31st, 2002, 2:12 pm

Veedo

The 2000 Indy Sport Touring is a gen 2 chassies you cant close them and it dont come with screens stock.

Any one else with an opinion just say so.
zl5

The dealer said......

Postby M10rules » December 31st, 2002, 2:21 pm

I don't trust any dealers. I know what I want when I go in. I would get the part # off of another sled that uses the same chassis that had them stock and order them. Don't even tell them what sled it is for.
"Instruction manuals are nothing more than another man's opinion."
"Why would I lie to you, we're not married?"
M10rules

The dealer said......

Postby Bigcat » January 1st, 2003, 7:14 am

hey no bs here, we had a guy come in for hood screens for a 2003 z570, looking in the accessory catalogue, it did not list them for a z570, same explanation, if the screens get plugged with snow it would be easy to overheat the motor, i think with some common sense you would have no problem.
Bigcat

The dealer said......

Postby straycat » January 2nd, 2003, 8:02 am

I have to go with no BS!!!!! The dealer would not NOT want to sell you something. He is in the bizz of selling you parts and service.

Just think of what kind of a dealer he would be if he sold you those screans knowing that your engine could melt down! Then after it melts down to the ground, you would go back to him claiming it melted down and he knew it would! think about it!
Till the speed overcomes the fear of death!

Long live the cat!
straycat

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum