Subscribe Today

???? SAFER RIDING,DAY?,OR NIGHT?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby M.L.800REV X » January 21st, 2003, 12:08 pm

DO YOU FEEL SAFER RIDING DAY OR NIGHT?WHY?
M.L.800REV X

Postby Drake5028 » January 21st, 2003, 12:10 pm

LOL ...... Daytime is safer due to being able to see alot more of ur surroundings
Drake5028

Postby speedbump » January 21st, 2003, 12:17 pm

Daytime.... you can see things off the trails better. The oly advantage at night is lights that you can see in the distance
speedbump

Postby zl5 » January 21st, 2003, 12:25 pm

100% better in the day time the light is my friend. Rode in the u.p. last week in the dark and almost hit a trail sign we didnt plan to ride in the dark but the map said that it was less miles than it relly was. So daytime. But the thing was you could see the other people coming at you in the dark.
zl5

Postby reds » January 21st, 2003, 12:25 pm

If you want it by the numbers....

Most fatalities occur at night, due to poor visibility or riding too fast for conditions. Alchol also has a large contributing factor to this as well. Guess that is why the numbers always spike between 10PM & 3AM. Many states publish reports on snowmobile fatalities each year, interresting number patterns usually.

Please don't think I am getting on a soapbox. I like to enjoy a few beverages, but after the sled or skis have been put away for the evening.

Ron
Safe Travels
Ron & Jaci

2001 Dodge RAM Sport 5.2L/3.55/ ARE Topper/Bedrug liner
2001 Layton 2950
reds

Postby M.L.800REV X » January 21st, 2003, 12:36 pm

I think night is better, theres not as much glare,the lights cut through alot better at night,dont have to worrie about head ons,percieption seems to be alot easyer.
M.L.800REV X

Postby Burky » January 21st, 2003, 1:14 pm

It's about split. If it's not snowing, then I am better off in the daytime since I can see a long ways off. I can see people coming and i can read the terrain much better. But at night, I know about oncoming sleds much better since I can read their lights way off. I also tend to ride at a slower pace at night since I don't like to overrun my own headlights. One thing I learned recently though. A while back I rode behind someone with a flourescent orange jacket, and at times I couldn't see the rider between us but I could see him. Next season I will have a new jacket, bright orange. It's see and be seen out there. probably geta light for the back of the helmet also.
If you are in the ditch, upside down, and the sled's on top of you, you are doing something wrong.....
Burky

Postby doomxz » January 21st, 2003, 1:18 pm

daytime without question! much better scenery and not as many drunks on the trail!
doomxz

Postby Woodsy » January 21st, 2003, 1:26 pm

Night time for me! I have lost 2 friends to head on collisions (different accidents) on hill tops - there is nothing better then the lights to forwarn!
Woodsy
I gotta go down to the Sled shop and buy another can of smoke for my CDI Box. All mine leaked out!
Woodsy

Postby M.L.800REV X » January 21st, 2003, 10:56 pm

i think 90% of the sleds out there need there headlights adjusted out instead of down alot of them point staight into the ground.my adjustment is all the way up,i swear i can see THE TERRAIN better at night the darker the sadow the deeper the mogul.
M.L.800REV X

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum