Subscribe Today

GPS usage

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

GPS usage

Postby skidoomomto4 » January 26th, 2003, 12:15 pm

Wejust bought the magellan merididian color. The price at most places is around 500, hoever I bought it online at the gpsstore.com & after saearching a few sites for the best prices I found it for 349. & the GPS store price matched it. My husband is famous for "misplacing" us while out ridind & let me tell you how much fun this toy is. Its fairly simply to use just read the book, its got maps, & all the bells & whistles. I did alot of research on these & decided this was the one for us. He keeps it in a inside pocket & its great. The only trouble we have had is with this cold wether below 0 the batteries get low very fast we used 4 this saturday night & we were only out 6 hours, but thats ok.
If your looking for anonline store to get yours at try Mysimon.com for comparison of prices then choose a store that has the best price for the model you want.

I found the GPS store.com to be fast, cheap, & reliable & they price matched from compuserve.com.
Good luck & enjoy the GPS.

specs: full color, tracks 12 satelittes, 16mb built in maps, 9 customizable graphic navigation displays, (speed, heading, bearing, eta more) stores up to 20 routes 500 waypoints, trackback, saves track to route, northfinder, sun & moon positions plus more.also VERY accurate within 3 meters.

*This Message was edited on 26-Jan-03 05:20 PM by skidoomomto4*
skidoomomto4

GPS usage

Postby reds » January 26th, 2003, 2:26 pm

I use my GPS3+ for all kinds of stuff, driving for work, and going to play, hiking, fishing, sledding. Something that I found is a lot of fun while out hiking is something called GeoCaching, check it out on google.

I use the MapSource Roads & Recreation CD from Garmin and it has a lot of the back roads and some two tracks that other "street" maping programs do not. I download the area for what we are going to be riding for the weekend.

I am going to start working on saving the tracks for the various trails that I use, and will start to have them up on my web site.

It is a lot of fun to just play with.

Ron
Safe Travels
Ron & Jaci

2001 Dodge RAM Sport 5.2L/3.55/ ARE Topper/Bedrug liner
2001 Layton 2950
reds

GPS usage

Postby PLUMR69 » January 26th, 2003, 2:55 pm

Hey dude,

I own a Magellan meridan gold gps. It has mapping on it. The best feature is its a ability to take memory cards, a 32mb secure digital card (SD) will fit all of michigan and more. I have all of the programs magellan came out with. Magellans Topo, lists most logging trails and two tracks. I have found it very usefull for sledding. I fourwheel in the summer and its great. Any questions just email me.

PLUMR69

GPS usage

Postby xmurray » January 27th, 2003, 9:18 am

What is a two-track?
xmurray

GPS usage

Postby XC-Rider » February 1st, 2003, 7:45 am

a two track refers to a trail made, usually by a truck/4x4 resulting in the two tire tracks
XC-Rider

GPS usage

Postby XC-Rider » February 1st, 2003, 7:46 am

Does anyone know where I can find the mapsend topo program?
XC-Rider

GPS usage

Postby PLUMR69 » February 1st, 2003, 2:33 pm

I have a magellan Meridian Gold. I love the unit. It has a basemap built in, but only has major roads on it. I bought the mapsend topo software and love it. Any logging roads or seasonal roads, and some footpaths are on there it is great. It uses SD memory cards (Secure Digital) 32MB will fit all of Michigan and part of Wisconsin. Any questions just email me.

PLUMR69

GPS usage

Postby 89Indy500_sp » February 2nd, 2003, 12:13 pm

i got MapSend TOPO at outdoor world for 90, and a cable that has the PC connection and a 12V Cigerate lighter connector on it

*This Message was edited on 10-Feb-03 07:17 AM by 89indy500_sp*
My 2003 REV 800 Sport... my baby
[img]http://www.dootalk.net/gallery/albums/album762/snonews.thumb.jpg[/img]
700 miles this season!
89Indy500_sp

GPS usage

Postby Skipit SRX ak » February 9th, 2003, 9:01 pm

I got a Garmin 76 S and it has all the features of any GPS, it will download map, has an electronic compass, has a good size screen, buttons are big and very easy to use. It's very user friendly. After I purchased mine a few guys from work went down and bought the same model because it is so user friendly. Just my 2 cents. Later Skip
Run it Hard, Run it Mean just don't Run it to Lean
Skipit SRX ak

GPS usage

Postby Pantera » February 11th, 2003, 4:03 am

I have the Eagle Map Guide Pro. Works good, use it for 4 wheeling with the truck in the summer and snowmobiling in the winter. Definately get an A/C adapter because the batteries don't last long and even less in the cold. I just use the map software it came pre-loaded with which shows all major roads and a lot of smaller roads so you always know where you are at. Haven't been able to find a good mount for the sled, if anyone knows of one send me an email to scoutsupply@tds.net I would appreciate it.
Pantera
Snowmobile the America that others pass by....
Pantera

PreviousNext

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum