Subscribe Today

GPS usage

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

GPS usage

Postby XC-Rider » January 24th, 2003, 4:51 am

I'm considering buying a GPS for my snowmobiling trips to the UP, wi, and mn and am looking for recomendations on what works best. I'm also interested in finding out what software is needed for navigation and what if any will actually show the logging roads and snowmobile trails. How much memory is needed to store the maps?
thanks
XC-Rider

GPS usage

Postby hilldweller » January 24th, 2003, 7:30 am

Santa brought me the (Garmin) etrex Legend for Christmas, and I have used it alot on the few trips I've been able to get away for this season. About 200 dollars, I think. I also got the Mapsource software with it, which gives you VERY detailed maps that you can download to your unit. Last Sunday I found myself on a DCNR trail that wasn't on the map, and after about 20 minutes I would have turned around if I hadn't had the GPS. It didn't have the name of the trail, but the trail itself did show up. Scrolled down to see that it came out near where I wanted to be, and went on from there. So, I think it is worth the money. About the only complaint I have is the short battery life in cold weather, but, that's a function of the battery, not the GPS. The unit I have comes with 8mb of memory. I used about 10% in downloading detailed maps of the northeastern 1/4 of PA.

*This Message was edited on 24-Jan-03 12:31 PM by hilldweller*
2002 ZR800 CCE (carbed)
hilldweller

GPS usage

Postby snirt » January 24th, 2003, 8:34 am

i have a garmin III. that thing has saved us many times. i don't download maps, we mostly use trail maps still, but whenever you are wondering where you are, i pull out the gps, and using the basemap that comes in it (most major roads, all lakes...)you can always compare that with the trailmap and know exactly where you are. i always mark a waypoint at the hotel when i get there too, so if we get lost near town, or on a lake, i can always find home.

so i don't really use it like you guys, but just wanted to let you know that they are very handy even without the downloaded map data.
snirt

GPS usage

Postby 89Indy500_sp » January 24th, 2003, 2:29 pm

we got a magellan SporTrak Pro, 220 ish dollars, depends on where u buy it. it came with a down load cable, but no softwear. the Map Send Topo softwear is about $100. we did not buy the softwear yet, but if any one looking at thing has it tell me if you like it...

the built-in maps including interstates, highways, major roads, waterways, city locations, airports, and marine nav aids. you can increase your mapping detail by downloading street-level and/or topographical maps to 23 MB of additional built-in memory.

*This Message was edited on 24-Jan-03 07:31 PM by 89Indy500_sp*
My 2003 REV 800 Sport... my baby
[img]http://www.dootalk.net/gallery/albums/album762/snonews.thumb.jpg[/img]
700 miles this season!
89Indy500_sp

GPS usage

Postby reds » January 24th, 2003, 11:11 pm

I have a Garmin III+ and just love it. I have a small write up on why I chose it over the others on my website (http://www.delpiere.com/Hobbies/Hobbies.htm) Have a look under Snowmobiling, as well as GPS. Both areas talk about the GPS.

The GPS III+ is no longer available new from Garmin, it has been replaced by the GPS V, same unit with more features. They are trying to lure me into buyin a new one whith these nice new features. I really want one, but other toys have take priority ....for now.

Stop considering, just do it. I have found mine to be a valuable tool that I use all the time not just for sledding.

Ron

*This Message was edited on 25-Jan-03 04:13 AM by reds*
Safe Travels
Ron & Jaci

2001 Dodge RAM Sport 5.2L/3.55/ ARE Topper/Bedrug liner
2001 Layton 2950
reds

GPS usage

Postby PLUMR69 » January 25th, 2003, 4:59 pm

I have a magellan meridian gold, with the topo software and extra memory cards. This is the best gps unit ever used. The topo software has virtually every trail and two track on it. It has been wonderful if the trail has moguls on them and we need an alternate route back.
PLUMR69

GPS usage

Postby blast laster23 » January 25th, 2003, 7:02 pm

what do you use the gps for
blast laster23

GPS usage

Postby Hanrahan » January 26th, 2003, 12:41 am

My buddy uses it alot. He actually records trails as we go...and records them for future reference

Microsoft Streets and Maps has a GPS utility...and is otherwise an amazing program

FOR LONGER BATTERY LIFE....throw on a cigarette adaptor and run it from the juice of the sled.. thats if you can bring yourself to drilling some holes!!
Hanrahan

GPS usage

Postby xmurray » January 26th, 2003, 4:23 am

I use the etrex vista and it works great. There are no trail maps available where I sled so I just tracked my ride and using the Topo Mapsource program was able to make, and print out, my own trail maps of the area with roads, rivers, elevations, waypoints etc. With the topo maps loaded into the unit you can always see where you are relative to roads and you can always follow your own track back. The screen is small though, so if you are not going to use it for hiking I would look into one with a bigger screen. They sell mounts for it but I found that it even worked pretty well in my pocket, which is weird since I found that it does sometimes have trouble tracking in the woods during summer due to the leaf cover.
I have a question on the 12V cigarette lighter adapter. Is there a place to pick up regulated voltage on most sleds? (97 Grand Touring, Ski Doo) There already was a port on this sled from the previous owner but I found the voltage going up to around 16V when revved.
Also, I was looking for a better program for making the maps, one that would allow me to add notes, move text around and such. Anyone know of a good one that will accept the track data from a Garmin unit?
Thanks,
Xmurray.
xmurray

GPS usage

Postby Hanrahan » January 26th, 2003, 5:39 am

I will check with my buddy re:voltage
As for as programs. like I mentioned before Microsoft Streets and Maps, has a HUGE library of information.and a GPS utility...so you could d'load to the software....modify...then upload back to your unit
Hanrahan

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum