Subscribe Today

clutching

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

clutching

Postby Brown » January 28th, 2003, 2:10 pm

what can I do if anything to my clutch without haveing to buy a kit or something?
Brown

clutching

Postby Maniac » January 28th, 2003, 2:24 pm

What kinda sled are we tweaking here?
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

clutching

Postby zl5 » January 28th, 2003, 2:29 pm

What kind of sled is it? Is it pulling hard out of the turns? Running at the target rpm range? Over reving, boging? Top speed seem to be right. How about your belt good shape or not? Belt deflection right. Clutches ar they clean. You could go to your dealer and they might know what the best setup is. Give epi a call the can be helpful. Dont expect magic that is why I gave up on my sled and decided to leav it stock. I have enough head akes. And If you dont want to buy a clutch kit and just want to try to make your own clutch parts are no cheep 3 clutch weights are 1/2 the price of a cluth kit. I say if you have the time MONEY and the time to weighy on the weather go for it and have fun.
zl5

clutching

Postby Brown » January 28th, 2003, 3:00 pm

its a 96 formula 3 with a 99 machz engine in it..
sled pulls hard..i don't know off hand what the max rpm should be but it seems like its stopping at 8000 or 8500..but everytime i get about 100 miles an hour or more it will rip a brand new belt to shreds..

im hearing alot of s**t from different people such as my clutch isn't aligned, theres a possiblity that theres nicks in my secondary, ive also heard that big cc skidoos always blow belts at high speeds.. i don't know what the hell to believe anymore
Brown

clutching

Postby Burky » January 28th, 2003, 10:10 pm

First, you have to find out at what RPM the 99 engine is supposed to be clutched at. If it's running with the stock exhaist, then the stock clutching weights and springs are a good starting point. if not, the it's probably best to go back to the stock clutching to get a baseline. Then check the center to center alignment between the clutches. Belt deflection and the amount of grab it gets from the clutches coud be off. The bigger Skidoo's have a slight reputation for eating belts, but it's more of a setup problem than anything wrong wih the machine. Get it setup right, and it should be fine.
If you are in the ditch, upside down, and the sled's on top of you, you are doing something wrong.....
Burky

clutching

Postby Brown » January 30th, 2003, 7:40 am

ive notice in my secondary that theres suposed to be 4 little alan screws theres only 3 there 1 is missing.. could that be a part of my problem?
when I go to move the secondary from side to side there is some play in it...
Brown

clutching

Postby FreezurBurnt » January 30th, 2003, 9:35 am

There is only 3

The fourth hole is for your clutch tool:D
[b]ride Chelmsford,Northern Ont. area[/b]

[img]http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/images/smilies/bowdown.gif[/img][img]https://www.snowgoer.com/SharedContent/cfb/memberphotos/3793/rig/my%20truck%20driver%20side%20neg.jpg[/img]
[green][b][i]01 ZR 600 early release[/b][/i][/green]
FreezurBurnt

clutching

Postby Brown » January 30th, 2003, 12:37 pm

yeah i was looking at it and realized what it was..i feel like an idiot
oh well before this sled i owned a 78 EX 440.. little bit of a difference between the sleds

i was talking to al and im bringing it back out to him to fix the problem with it
Brown

clutching

Postby 97Mach1 » January 31st, 2003, 11:26 pm

Your motor should be clutched to run 8300 rpm MAX. (99 tech cd says so.. assuming you used the 99 pipes, carbs, etc.) I would have your belt alignment checked by someone who knows what they are doing, and has the Ski-Doo tools. I had the same problem (97 Mach 1 with a 99 FIII 700 motor -- what is it about '99 motors??), I finally found someone who knew what he is doing, and he said to use the 127 doo belt. I have about 400 miles on my belt now, and it's still at the stock 1-3/8" width, and I am rough on it (lots of nailing it out of turns, drag racing, catwalks). What belt are you using? Did you break it in properly? How is the deflection? How high does it ride in the secondary?

Make sure your using the correct belt for your 96 F 3, and not the 99 Mach Z. Also your alignment specs are the same as the ZX and F chassis sleds, so you should be using the 127 doo belt.

Good Luck...

Jim

1997 Mach 1

*This Message was edited on 01-Feb-03 04:30 AM by 97mach1*
[i]08 MXZ Renegade XP 800R[/i]
[b]There's Nothing Like It![/b]
97Mach1

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum