Subscribe Today

New Sled - Legend or REV Trail

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby smcelhe » March 10th, 2003, 10:27 pm

I'm going to order a new sled....I was going to get the Skidoo Legend 500.....but the dealer I called told me to take a look at the REV Trail.....What are your thoughts....Most of my riding is on un-groomed trails...Are the REV's comfortable? My back isn't in the best condition.....I'd have a hard time riding a sled with a low seat. What are the REV's like? Are the seats low where your knees are near your chin?

Any info would be appreciated.
smcelhe

Postby Fivecooolcats » March 10th, 2003, 10:42 pm

No in fact your knees are down and away...more so than a traditional riding style...Your sitting position is actually in fact 1" higher than the ZX chasis.
The new REV tunnel has been modified to address the over heating problem...the previous "Beaver Tail" style did not allow enough snow up onto the heat exchangers. I also noticed that the upper and lower A-arms have been re-enforced with cross memebers to strengthen and prevent/lessen damage.

I was alittle skeptical to the REV this past year...a few friends had some major problems with it...but thats a first year sled for ya.

I think the best all around design is the REV GSX....with the 2 up seat and the mirrors.....THe riding position is UNCOMPARIBLE to any other sled and lessens the strain on your thighs and lower back....
Fivecooolcats

Postby smcelhe » March 10th, 2003, 11:32 pm

Another question.....

I was looking at getting the 500ss engine, which I'm told is a 600cc. Will that engine/sled be "high strung"? We do alot of tight trail riding/exploring....How will it be for that type of riding?
smcelhe

Postby mx6 » March 11th, 2003, 1:03 am

The small block 600 is about as dependable motor as there is. Mine has over 3000 miles and she hasn't even fouled a spark plug let alone anything major. Sled gets good gas-mileage and even better oil mileage.
Stewart Selid
mx6

Postby BLADEGUY » March 11th, 2003, 1:55 pm

Dude - listen here. If you have a bad back get the REV. There is nothing like it. Sit on it and think about your back posture. Normal sleds put your back into a "C". This is not natural and is terrible for your back when you take a big hit (actually anytime but especially with the big hit). The rev lets you sit with proper posture and your back never takes a hit anyway. Trust me here. YOU WANT A REV FOR A BAD BACK. Anyone who's ridden one with a bad back can tell you. There have been other threads about it. If I was a doctor I would prescribe it. Buy the Rev, end of discussion.
I want to ride every day, all day, as fast as I can.
BLADEGUY

Postby mainetracks » March 16th, 2003, 6:05 am

I am also looking into a new REV 500ss (GSX) and would like to know if the windshield gives you wind protection or does the wind blow in on the rider? Please be honest I do want a REV but not if its going to be a cold ride.
mainetracks

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum