Subscribe Today

ZR 900 or RX-1 Warrior

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

ZR 900 or RX-1 Warrior

Postby Vineyard » March 24th, 2003, 6:07 am

You are actually asking? For the same price? That is what is called a 'no brainer'. You would be an absolute fool if you didn't get the Warrior. There will be very few, if any, stock sleds that will beat you. I'm surprised they didn't add seatbelts to the Warriors, because they are that fast!
Vineyard

ZR 900 or RX-1 Warrior

Postby tcat2 » March 24th, 2003, 6:33 am

LMFAO ... Warrior ... Ha ... Spoken like a true Yamaha fanatic, Ignoring things like weight, Horsepower, Handling, Skid, etc.

Maybe adding the 136" skid will help the traction a bit, as well as increasing the footprint might .... I say, Might, help that awful inside ski lift, but overall, the sled is still an RX-1, 100 lbs heavier and less horsepower. Cool name though. Should attract a lot of teenagers. :-)

The RX-1 is indeed a unique sled, and it is probably not fair to compare it to the ZR 900, REV 800, and Pro-X 800. All of which will smoke an RX-1 in anything shorter than a 1-2 mile Lake Race.

The ZR 900 is a little lighter this year, but the Horsepower is still the same. Quickest of the bunch.

The only problem with the REV, is the seating position for long hauls. If you are over 6' tall, forget it. In the bumps, it's one of the best.

As far as the Polaris Pro-X 800 ... it too is a viable option. My cousin bought one this year. It will also smoke an RX-1, althought the suspension is VERY stiff, that can be adjusted easily enough.

*This Message was edited on 24-Mar-03 11:38 AM by tcat2*
Long Live the Tripples !!!!
tcat2

ZR 900 or RX-1 Warrior

Postby MM700 » March 24th, 2003, 6:49 am

I don't know how or where you guys race out east...but...up here in Wisconsin, in my neck of the woods....NO 800 will beat an RX-1...period...it's not even a race....the Zr 900 will run with a properly set-up Rx-1...but it should it's 7 to 10 Hp more than an Rx-1 (depending on what dyno sheet you look at).....Yamaha has recalibrated the front and rear suspension, gave the warrior and Rx-1 a more aggressive track, and recalibrated the clutching on both...I will reserve judgement, because I haven't ridden the 04's yet...but the guys I talked to who have, were very impressed with both the improvement in ride quality and handling, and acceleration.....both sleds the Rx-1 and Zr 9 are good sleds....but you need to deside how and where you ride...because they are very different...one is a groomed trail, lake rocket, the other is a ditch bangin, aggresive trail sled......you deside....it's a pretty tough choice.
MM700

ZR 900 or RX-1 Warrior

Postby zr800newyork » March 24th, 2003, 8:08 am

I cam simplify things.....you want to sit down and ride well groomed smooth trails?

You want to ride challenging trails, catch some air, carve up a trail systems?

Do I need to say whicd sled fits these quetions?

I 've ridden both and only you can deccide what your riding style is?
TUG HILL CRUISIN'
Sno-Goer Magazine-Nov'03 issue
zr800newyork

ZR 900 or RX-1 Warrior

Postby MM700 » March 24th, 2003, 8:29 am

Come on Zr...you ridden up here....it's...twisty, groomed, wooded trails...where 85 percent cross lakes....if your getting air up here on the trails, it's because your blowing too many corners...lol...not a good thing zr....I will say for this kind of riding the Zr 9,older Zr 8 and Viper, are very good sleds...because they corner flat and hold a tight line....the firecat is not a good "tight trail sled...it doesn't corner with the same confidence as the sleds mentioned about..the Rx-1 did have some ski lift last year, but supposedly with the stiffer sway bar, and new suspension calibrations ...that has been taken care of...we'll see....I still say...Zr 9 ....or...warrior is a tough choice...I agree with you that if you wanna catch more air take the Zr 9......but then again if you are a ditch pounder, and want air, why not just buy the lighter F7????
MM700

ZR 900 or RX-1 Warrior

Postby snowraser » March 24th, 2003, 8:50 am

I will start out by saying I am a die hard yammie fan, but I work at a Ski-doo Yammie dealership, and ride with buddies that have all types of sleds. In my opinion it would be a tough choice, I put on just shy of 1000 miles on my RX1 this winter, no problems whatsoever, and I am your same dimensions. No ski lift, no ratcheting, no problems whatsoever, and I love the RX1.
My suggestion to you would be to visit and digest 3 very nice websites. www.RX1.info, www.firecat.info and www.dootalk.com/forums/, read what everyone had to say this past winter, not just 2 or 3 of us brand happy webheads. By the way, if anyone knows of a polaris forum I would be interested, I have never seen one.

My .02
4 strokes r better than 2
snowraser

ZR 900 or RX-1 Warrior

Postby Straightliner » March 24th, 2003, 11:36 pm

There is no way in hell that a REV 800 or Pro X 800 will smoke a RX1 1-2 mile lake race. I cannot speak for the ZR 900 I don't know much about it. You may beat a RX1 for 6 or 7 hundred ft after that you are history. For the record I own and race Polaris 2003 800X and 600X and my sleds are dialed in.
Straightliner

ZR 900 or RX-1 Warrior

Postby Vineyard » March 25th, 2003, 4:23 am

Have you seen the 04 900? It is truly one of the ugliest sleds I have ever seen! That would be enough to sway my vote right there. If you want the coolest, baddest, fastest, MOST DEPENDABLE, sled out there, not even a question. I have never seen a group of people gather around a ZR to ask how they like it. If I had a dollar for person that gathered around my RX-1, I'd be waiting for a Warrior. You guys crack me up. there's being loyal, and there's being ignorant.
Vineyard

ZR 900 or RX-1 Warrior

Postby zr800newyork » March 25th, 2003, 4:36 am

VineYard "beauty lies in the eye of the beholder"...common sense & logic. I prefer and
like that thought, better than your opinion.
TUG HILL CRUISIN'
Sno-Goer Magazine-Nov'03 issue
zr800newyork

ZR 900 or RX-1 Warrior

Postby melonhead » March 25th, 2003, 4:36 am

I just got back from dealer, put my $300.00 down on a black warrior.
It is going to be a long summer!!!
melonhead

PreviousNext

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum