Subscribe Today

Question on Previous Post

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby Longtrack Lady » June 17th, 2003, 2:40 am

Hi All! I am looking for a post or the person that posted it regarding selling their sled and receiving an e-mail from some guy in West Africa. I am sure that I read it on here, but can not find it. I just received one where the guy will send me $4000 extra in a cashier's check, I cash it, take my money, and send him the rest. He will pick up the billing and get that arranged....

Any information would be great. Just sounds a bit crazy.

Thanks in Advance - LTL
Longtrack Lady

Postby Mainecat » June 17th, 2003, 3:22 am

LT ...ITS A SCAM!!! I REPEAT ITS A SCAM!!
I saw a show on these people they send out millions of faxes and e-mails for foreign countries daily hoping to get some one to fall for it.
I get faxes every day. DO NOT SEND THEM MONEY!!!
Mainecat

Postby Burky » June 17th, 2003, 3:45 am

Yes, it's a scam and a way to get some money out of you. For some good info, check out wwew.scamorama.com. as a website. There are a lot of people that troll for these crooks (me among them!) and string them along for 5-6 weeks with misinformation just to waste their time. The sting they are trying on you goes like this: They respond to your ad, and meet your price with no haggle. They send a faked check, but it's for more than the purchase amount. It comes from a business in the states, and it's easier to have them pay you and you send the overage amount out by western union. The check clears your local banmk and the amount is deposited in your account. You send the money, and about 2-3 weeks later the system discovers the check is false and you get held accountable for the lost money.
If you don't mind my asking, where did you advertise it. I've ben looking for a good place to set up a reversed scam using the selling scam, and it's obvious that the Mugu's are watching that site. (Mugu is nigerian for fool and the nickname for the scammers). You can Email me at Bobburkhar@aol.com if you don't want to say on here.
If you are in the ditch, upside down, and the sled's on top of you, you are doing something wrong.....
Burky

Postby 97Mach1 » June 18th, 2003, 1:13 am

A friend of mine just had the same thing happen to him with his sled. It was some guy from Africa. He even had them call him up on the phone. They sounded legit, he ended up getting a check, and then took it to his bank to cash it, and suprise, it didn't clear. The bank wanted him to pay a couple hundred dollars in bounced check fees and such, but luckily he doesn't use that account anymore.

Best motto to live by: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

I think he listed his sled on freegaragesale.com if you want to try to do a reverse scam on them. I posted my sled on there for the heck of it a while back, but I haven't gotten any responses.

Good Luck,

Jim
[i]08 MXZ Renegade XP 800R[/i]
[b]There's Nothing Like It![/b]
97Mach1

Postby Pantera » June 18th, 2003, 4:22 am

I haven't had a sled for sale to get those type of emails but I am sick of getting all the emails from people all over the world looking for a 'bank account' that they can transfer money into to get it out of the 'country'. What a joke, like who would believe them. Those emails are really getting annoying, sure wish they could figure out a way to block them without blocking our legitimate emails. :-(
Pantera
Snowmobile the America that others pass by....
Pantera

Postby Pantera » June 18th, 2003, 4:23 am

BTW: What is the annual snowfall in Africa these days. :-)
Snowmobile the America that others pass by....
Pantera

Postby Burky » June 18th, 2003, 5:43 am

Have some fun with them. It's amazing how far you can take some of them. Make up a fake namne, set up an address, and go after them. I do it all the time and have a blast doing it.
If you are in the ditch, upside down, and the sled's on top of you, you are doing something wrong.....
Burky

Postby JOHN327 » June 18th, 2003, 7:57 am

LL RECD SAME THING ON FARMTRACTOR 5,000. WAS GOING
TO SHIP TO WEST A. SOUNDED TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE
NEVER E MAILED HIM BACK BUT I HAVE HEARD OF THE SCAM JF
JOHN
JOHN327

Postby Joe D. » June 18th, 2003, 9:48 am

I have the STATUE OF LIBERTY for sale longtrack lady.
Joe D.

Postby snodrifter » June 18th, 2003, 1:19 pm

I got the same reply from west Africa on my sled to. I waited a few days--E mailed back asking just who was paying shipping and crating--never got a reply. Too back-guess I lost a sure sale there!!! How do you say S C A M in african?
snodrifter

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum