Subscribe Today

SkiDoo Head Light BlowOut

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby CatManZL » January 11th, 2004, 6:07 am

Anybody ever have a problem with blowing head light bulbs on there skidoo? I have a '98 F-III 700 and I keep blowing out my lights! I went out and bought 2 cheap halogen head lamps, ran them for a bit then one noght i was adjusting my light beam, and clicking the hi/lo
switch on and off to see where the light beam was pointing, then all of a suden the lights got REAL bright, almost blue in color and then went out on low beam. Only one bulb worked on Hi beam only! but When i used that one light bulb on HI beam the dash lights were dim, but if i clicked it off {on low beam} the dash lights got real brite! Then
finally the only light that worked, which was one high beam blew out!

could it be cheap lights? or bad lighting coil? or what? the dash lights work and the taillight and brake light works fine, just not the headlights. The lights I bought were the cheapest ones i could get, NOT GE or Salvania
CatManZL

Postby snirt » January 11th, 2004, 6:26 am

you have to be careful when installing new bulbs not to touch them with your bare skin, or anything oily. i don't know if that is your problem or not.
snirt

Postby indy8six » January 11th, 2004, 6:34 am

It could be your voltage regulator, the headlight is usually the first thing that blows if your reg. isn't working right. The power surge is overloading the bulb and burns it out.
Ride hard or ride alone
indy8six

Postby Norsk » January 11th, 2004, 7:31 am

My guess is you have a bad voltage regulator, it is a quick change and fairly cheap fix, but it is definately the place to start
Norsk

Postby 02Summit800 » January 11th, 2004, 10:25 am

i vote regulator as well.
[blue]A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest man.-Willy Wonka[/blue]
02Summit800

Postby Octane » January 12th, 2004, 3:31 pm

yah the regulator sounds like your problem... Things get really bright then explode when it goes.. Sucks when you go to replace the bulb the first time it blows up and then you go and put a new one in and the same thing happens.

-Octane
Octane

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum