Subscribe Today

Jack Shaft on 1999 Mxz 600 and Sled Vibration over 100 KMs/h

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Jack Shaft on 1999 Mxz 600 and Sled Vibration over 100 KMs/h

Postby Octane » January 12th, 2004, 3:38 pm

My disc brake seems to move alot front to back on the jackshaft with out the jackshaft moving. I know that the disc is supposed to move left to right on the splines but i'm not sure how much it can move forward to back. ANy ideas?

I just bought the sled on Jan 9th. Pretty fun sled otherwise.

Also is there an easy way to test the boggie bearings ? It seems to vibrate over 100 kms/ (60mph) and it's not dependant on engine speed only sled speed thus why I think it's a bad beading in the track.

-Octane
Octane

Jack Shaft on 1999 Mxz 600 and Sled Vibration over 100 KMs/hr

Postby Bender » January 12th, 2004, 4:00 pm

you probly got a bearing out on yer jackshaft and thats probly what the viberating is comeing from too, check it all over and see whats up

P.S. the bearing on the jackshaft is really fun to change
[b]ARCTIC CAT[/b] .RIDE THE BEST!!!
Bender

Postby Octane » January 14th, 2004, 5:22 pm

The bearings seem fine and there is no play in the shaft.. With the jack shaft stationary, the outer edge of the brake disc moves close to an inch front to back. I'm just wondering if I need to fix this soon. It's 300 dollars for the jackshaft and the disc for the parts.

I located a bad bearing in an idler wheel so I'm gonna replace that tomorrow and see if the vibration stops. The two wheels that support the top of the track in the middle of the tunnel seem to move left to right alot and I wonder if i need to change them..

-Octane
Octane

Postby WAVEY DOG #26 OSRF » January 15th, 2004, 12:59 am

Octane- I once had a vibration on my twin track , and thought it was in the track's, turned out to be my torque converter out of balance. It sounds like your brake is the problem to me. David
DAVID RIEMENSCHNEIDER
WAVEY DOG #26 OSRF

Postby RaveOn! » January 15th, 2004, 1:07 am

My bet would be either a jackshaft or drive axle bearing and usually non chaincase side. You can't always tell from trying to wiggle the shaft with your hand. First off the drive axle has track tension and the only way it to remove the shidframe to check. The jackshaft is also hard to tell without removing. Look for blueing of the shafts near the bearing to see if has got hot. If so then likely the shaft will be wore as well. Also chack your rear idler wheel bearings as they could be a caulprit as well. Take it to a shop and have them check it out if your not comfortable with tearing it apart yourself. They can be a pain to change if you have never done it before. Keep us informed with what you find.

RaveOn!
RaveOn!

Postby ZRT7c » January 15th, 2004, 1:59 am

try lifting it off the ground and spin the track and listen for any rough sounding bearings
[green]STAY GREEN[/green]
[img]http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/502164/1.jpg[/img]
ZRT7c

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum