Subscribe Today

Trailer Locks

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Trailer Locks

Postby BigJWalt » January 28th, 2004, 4:18 am

I am looking for ideas for a way to lock my trailer. I have a tilt trailer with an enclosure. I am looking to lock the enclosure to the bed at the rear of the trailer (the place where the pin goes with the flip over clasp). The issue here is the local stores here dont stock a wide lock. Any of you guys have ideas or have done this in the past. I am thinking a cable lock, but it has to be very thin to pass through the holes. Any help is appreciated. Thanks again.
[green]If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt very much and winning is not very exciting. [b]Dick Vermeil[/b] [/green]
BigJWalt

Trailer Locks

Postby CheeseSledder » January 28th, 2004, 4:34 am

BigJ,

I have a Bearcat cover on a 2-place drive-on-off, there are 4 pins - 2 in front and 2 in back. I drilled the holes big enough to fit a standard padlock, bought 2 keyed alike and put them on opposite corners of the trailer. Do not leave them on when you are trailering, and I don't lock it at home - only when I'm up north somewhere like at a motel. The salt and slush booger up the locks real fast and then you have to dick around trying to get them off. Also carry a propane torch in your truck when you trailer - gets the lock open real quick if they freeze.
[blue]Yup, I seen dem Ely boys smokin crack over dere in da Bdubber, an one of em was whackin it. [/blue]:B
CheeseSledder

Trailer Locks

Postby BigJWalt » January 28th, 2004, 4:50 am

Cheese, I learned that lesson real fast last night. I went to pick up the trailer and sleds (I dont store them at my house), and the lock turned but wouldnt unlock. So I cut it off. I just found the same lock on the web. It was a cable gun lock. Problem is, I cut it off in 5 seconds with a pair or wire cutters. Maybe I will drill the holes larger and try to fit a lock on there. I swear I spend more time on prep and takedown then I do riding.
[green]If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt very much and winning is not very exciting. [b]Dick Vermeil[/b] [/green]
BigJWalt

Trailer Locks

Postby CheeseSledder » January 28th, 2004, 6:26 am

If your cover is like mine it's no problem drilling them out and putting a regular padlock on there. You can try the weatherproof ones but in my experience they freeze up just as much, and one time with the propane torch and the covers are all melted anyway.
[blue]Yup, I seen dem Ely boys smokin crack over dere in da Bdubber, an one of em was whackin it. [/blue]:B
CheeseSledder

Trailer Locks

Postby gg aka giftgirl :) » January 28th, 2004, 9:03 am

Big J go to [url=http://www.lokkit.com]http://www.lokkit.com[/url]

also, you might want to check out Marine stores for different types of locking devices. Had a boat/trailer in Callie and the ball joint had a steel cover on it to deter theft) i can find out who makes it if youd like)
(its very easy to cut thru an ordinary padlock when it is frozen)
[b][blue]giftgirl :W [/blue][/b]
gg aka giftgirl :)

Trailer Locks

Postby BigJWalt » January 28th, 2004, 9:06 am

Thanks GG, I have that trailer ball lock. I am a nut when it comes to safety. I need 4-6 keys just to go pick up my sleds, yet I leave the 2 keys in the snowmobiles, go figure. I figure if someone really wanted to steal them, they would. Thats what insurance is for. Until then, I can do what I can to hell protect them.
BigJWalt

Trailer Locks

Postby Long time cat man » January 28th, 2004, 9:35 am

I keep my stuff locked too, but it only keeps people honest. If some jerk wants to steal yer stuff bad enough, you won't stop him.
Long time cat man

Trailer Locks

Postby little sledhead » January 29th, 2004, 6:59 am

big J, fyi, if the poo's you have are like the old ones i've had, removing the key doesn't help anyway cause in order to start it all you do is un-plug the wires from the back of the key switch and it's ready to fire.
In the stable:

04 Suzuki Z400 - Elkas, Yoshi, HID's, Sand Stars
04 Suzuki Z 250
01 Honda 400EX
06 Polaris Trail Boss 330
06 Polaris Predator 90
04 Kazuma 50
little sledhead

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum