Subscribe Today

Problem - VForce Reeds in MXZ 600

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby Country » February 2nd, 2004, 9:37 am

Guys,

Need some help. Took my wife's '99 MXZ 600 apart yesterday because it was running on only one cylinder. We eventually found that VForce reeds had broken up and I was missing three petals from the cage. Two had went thru the piston and one was still hanging on.

We checked the compression and all looks good. But, I'm concerned about the two petals that went thru. Would they have been completely disengrated in the explosion and blown out thru the exhaust or are they sitting in my crank case.

Thanks for the help,
Country
Country

Postby reelrazor » February 2nd, 2004, 9:45 am

They are fiber right? The steel ones will do damage. Fiber reeds get chewed up. It isn't the BEST thing to have go through your engine, but it shouldn't be catastrophic. They need to be checked once in a while. The reed tips will start fraying before they break usually, and you can see that with the carbs off.
JGW

No substitutions for revolutions
reelrazor

Postby Country » February 2nd, 2004, 10:00 am

JGW,

Thanks for the quick response. Makes me feel much better. I think it is about time to check the ones on my sled too. My buddy was telling me that my problem was common on the first Vforce Deltas. And that they improved the durability on the Delta2s and Delta3s.

The reason I ask is the ones on my XC700 are the Vforce2.

Thanks again,
Country
Country

Postby White Lighting » February 2nd, 2004, 12:06 pm

Same thing happened to my sled, except only one reed petal went through the motor. It did no harm to the motor, sent the reeds back to moto tasanari and got new petals put on for free. Just send the reed cages back in the box and they should do the same for you, took about a week to get them back.
GET ER DONE!!!
White Lighting

Postby Michiganstopcat » February 2nd, 2004, 1:39 pm

Ive got a buddy that has run them on a 99 zl 600 and every year the peddles break apart before the end of the season before 2000 miles.I would buy them their junk.
Michiganstopcat

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum