Subscribe Today

1996 Yamaha V-Max 600XT Questions

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby mspencer2 » February 9th, 2004, 12:44 pm

I am having a problem getting my V-Max setup right. It starts great, idles great and runs great at the top end, however, it doesn't have very much take-off power. If you pin it from a dead stop, it will spin the track a little, but doesn't really get a power surge until 6500rpm. At first I thought it was carburetion, because my plugs are always wet. Even if you hold it pinned for a 1/4 mile, then shut it down and pull the plugs, they are wet. It never loads up even if you let it sit and idle for five minutes. I am running the factory specs for my altitude on all the carb parameters. I talked to a Yammie mechanic today, and he thought it might be clutching. He said not to worry about the plugs being wet, if it was running too rich, it would foul the plugs (It has never fouled a plug or even acted like it wanted to load up). I know the engines and carbs good, but clutching isn't my thing. If anyone has any thoughts on what to check, please let me know.
mspencer2

Postby Shockman » February 9th, 2004, 1:33 pm

Time to clean the goo out of your clutches, maybe some new springs while your at it.
Shockman

Postby mspencer2 » February 9th, 2004, 1:58 pm

Okay, thanks. What tools do I absolutely need to do that? Do I need to do the primary and secondary both? I have the puller, but that's it. Also, what do you recommend cleaning them with?
mspencer2

Postby extreme_yamaha » February 10th, 2004, 2:14 am

OK, my friend has this sled and set it up pretty good. I will try to get more details for you, but for one, they have a head gasket kit that increases compression wich is a major improvement. Also, he put in a clutch kit that made a big difference and also increased his fuel mileage.
Extreme
extreme_yamaha

Postby WIVIPERMAN » February 10th, 2004, 7:38 am

What kind of fuel mileage are you getting & how much oil consumption?
I have a 96 V-MAX 500 that I bought new & was sluggish out of the hole so, I leaned out the jetting & back off the oil pump setting a lil' & world of difference! Good Luck!
WIVIPERMAN
WIVIPERMAN

Postby mspencer2 » February 10th, 2004, 4:34 pm

Tonight I tore apart the secondary clutch and found that the spring was set in the wrong holes. The standard setting is hole 2 and hole 3, it was set in hole 1 and hole 6. I took it around the shop a few times and it made a huge difference. I haven't had a chance to open it up for a long stretch, but this is a good start. I'm not sure on the mileage, but my friend has a 2000 SRX 700 triple amd I was on 3/4 when he was just coming off full. I would consider that pretty bad considering the performance and motor difference in the two sleds.

Thanks for all your info guys and I will be looking forward to anymore you have on this type of sled.

Mark
mspencer2

Postby extreme_yamaha » February 11th, 2004, 1:34 am

OK, here you go. This setup works well. Check it out.

96 V Max XT clutch settup

Weights- Yamaha 8AB, These are stock

Wright rivets-Change the outer ones to 2.7 grams

Primary spring-keep stock but add 3 shims

Secondary Helix-Maxximum Performance part# 6ms7 I did not do this and it's
still good. If you want do this you might want to look into the kit. This
part alone is 100.00

Secondary Spring-Change to Red

Secondary Spring setting-50 degerees (holes 3 and 3) Might be the stock
setting.

Thinner head gasket- .6mm
I got the parts at Maxximum Performance

Also, I think Maxximum Performance sells this all in a kit if you want to go that way. Otherwise, you can get all the parts listed.
I know this helps. It made a huge difference.
extreme_yamaha

Postby mspencer2 » February 11th, 2004, 11:29 am

Thanks a lot Tony. I might save that for a summer project since we might not have much riding left down here. It will get me by this year. I just picked up that sled last summer, got it dirt cheap so I can justify putting some money in it.

Thanks to all of you for the help,

Mark
mspencer2

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum