Subscribe Today

1999 formula z 500 electrical problems

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby PeteA34 » February 29th, 2004, 11:36 am

The sled will at times have good spark, then weak spark and now I have no spark. I have disconnected the tether switch, the kill switch, and the ignition module. I changed coils. I also swapped CDI boxes out with a known good one. I had the sled at the dealer they replaced the pick up coil and supposedly tried a different stator. I am not 100% sure they actually did since I personally did not see it happen. I have tried new plugs. I also unplugged all the harnesses to see if any were loose or not tight. Everything looked good. I give up, anyone have any ideas of what might be wrong? I called another dealer and they said that particular sled had a wire problem under the engine that caused the symptons I am having. They said I would have to pull the engine to fix this. I don't see a wire that goes way under the engine, at least one thats not accessible. Anyone heard of this before?
PeteA34

Postby mechengineer » February 29th, 2004, 11:43 am

If you have a multi-meter try doing some resistance tests on your stator windings. I'm sorry but I don't have those specs with me now, my day off, I'm not supposed to be thinking about sleds. It is possible your stator is not putting out the required voltage. Possiblity of a bad winding. If this is not the problem trace down your wiring harness and look for any shorts in the system. Hope this helps, don't get frustrated, these things happen.
I WOULDN'T THINK OF BREACHING A NONDISCLOSURE.
mechengineer

Postby PeteA34 » February 29th, 2004, 11:58 am

I had the sled running on the stand good and I was getting ready to put the air cleaner back on and it died just like I hit the kill switch. Now I cannot get any spark,. I do have a multi-meter, but I am not sure how to check the stator or even what to expect for readings.
PeteA34

Postby sledwrench » February 29th, 2004, 1:56 pm

Do you have any type of throttle override system on it?
sledwrench

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum