Subscribe Today

Anybody have Leather Bibs?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby tcat2 » September 29th, 2004, 5:32 pm

Been toying with the idea of spending big bucks on a set of leather bibs. I was wondering if anybody would share their experience with Leathers. Especially from someone who has had both leather and Synthetic materials recently. Currently have a set of "Cold Wave" bibs which are excellent, but have a few tears in the vinyl. Time for a new set.

Thanks in advance,

Ken
Long Live the Tripples !!!!
tcat2

Postby XCSP_Dan » September 30th, 2004, 12:51 pm

I've got a pair of older leather Polaris bibs. They are real leather. They are excellent when it is extreamly cold and windy.

I also have a pair of CastleX bibs that are a water resistant nylon that I wear 95% of the time.

Here are the pros to leather as I see it:
-Wind resistant
-More protection if you crash
-Faily water resistant

Here are the cons to leather I can see:
-HEAVY! its a big one
-Expensive, another big one
-If you get them we they take a long time to dry out

Like I said, most of the time I wear the CastleX bibs.
XCSP_Dan

Postby nbrenegade » October 1st, 2004, 1:53 am

I have a CKX leather suit and I love it. Heavy yes but you get used to that by far the warmest suit I've ever had. The thing with leather is to treat it often that way it will stay looking new and won't get wet. I use Eagle1 leather conditioner and cleaner works great......
05 Limited Edition 600 HO SDI Renegade
nbrenegade

Postby 97Mach1 » October 1st, 2004, 6:52 am

I had leather bibs a few years ago, and I won't ever have them again. I have a set of HJC bibs that I love, they are light, warm, breathable, and waterproof. Leather is heavy, doesn't breath at all, and isn't waterproof (unless you treat them like every week). If you sweat a lot while riding, leather will keep that moisture in, and on a nice cold day, it will freeze if the conditions are right.

If you get cold easily, then leather is probably for you, it will keep you warmer than anything else.
[i]08 MXZ Renegade XP 800R[/i]
[b]There's Nothing Like It![/b]
97Mach1

Postby tcat2 » October 3rd, 2004, 7:05 pm

Thanks for the input .... sort of confirmed what I already suspected. Part of the reason I asked the question, is that I will be using the Leather bibs riding my bike in cold weather too. Chaps are only good to a point, Since they are not lined or offer complete coverage.
I messed up a couple of set's of nylon bibs when I burned them on the muffler. I think I'll buy some leathers when the local dealer has their sale. Probably only use them in the coldest weather. The Cold Wave Bibs I have are great, but I hae repaired them a few times.

Now all I need to do is decine on a spefic set and manufacturer. Thanks again for your help.
Long Live the Tripples !!!!
tcat2

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum