Subscribe Today

what the????????? Moron!

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

what the????????? Moron!

Postby poorider » November 3rd, 2004, 7:08 am

email this print this
Posted on Sat, Oct. 30, 2004

Shower of sparks and a $225 fee

Man's bare-ground snowmobile adventure (over sidewalks, into the woods) tests patience of police

BY ALLEN POWELL II

Pioneer Press

Ross Reichel ran out of gas along Silver Lake Road in New Brighton on Wednesday night. That's not unusual, but Reichel's solution to his problem sure was.

Reichel, 34, of Columbia Heights was house shopping with his wife, Angie, when he noticed the fuel light on his Ford-350 pickup truck. The heavy machine operator wanted to stop for gas but couldn't find a station with diesel fuel. Plus, he wasn't overly concerned because he can go at least 100 miles with the light on in another Ford truck he owns.

But all vehicles are different and Reichel was soon stranded, holding up traffic and facing a long walk. Fortunately, or so it seemed at the time, he was hauling a new Polaris snowmobile that he had purchased earlier that day.

Reichel quickly took the snowmobile off the truck bed and used it to tow his truck off to a side street. After completing that task, he thought it would be no big deal to ride the snowmobile to get gas.

By driving along sidewalks, sparks flying, Reichel found a gas station. But no one there had a fuel can, and a New Brighton officer who happened by the station upbraided him for using his snowmobile inappropriately.

While it's never a good idea to take a long snowmobile ride on bare pavement, Reichel's main violation was of a city ordinance limiting snowmobile use on city property to direct rides to and from authorized snowmobile locations, said Bob Jacobsen, the city's public safety director. Long Lake is the only snowmobile area in New Brighton.

However, after Reichel explained his dilemma, the officer gave him a ride to his house, where he picked up a car and a gas can. After fueling up, he and his wife returned to the gas station where Reichel had left the snowmobile.

Unfortunately, getting the snowmobile back onto the pickup proved harder than taking it off, and Reichel decided he should just ride the snowmobile along Long Lake Road to get back to his home, about 2 miles away on Stinson Boulevard.

About a mile into the trip, he was southbound on the sidewalk in the 1100 block of Long Lake Road - again sending up a fine shower of sparks- when he was spotted again by the same officer.

According to a police report, the officer observed Reichel ignore a stop sign at Pike Lake Circle and abruptly pull off the road to a path near Pike Lake.

The officer followed in his vehicle, first activating his lights and later the sirens, while Reichel continued into some woods, eventually striking a tree before jumping off the snowmobile.

The officer asked Reichel to come out of the woods, at which point he arrested and handcuffed him. Feeling that Reichel had ignored his earlier warning, the officer cited Reichel for violating the limits of operation for the snowmobile, not having a flag or pennant on the vehicle and improperly crossing a street. Reichel's snowmobile was towed and impounded, but he was released from custody that night.

Jacobsen said the officer could have also cited Reichel for fleeing a police officer, careless driving and criminal damage to property for what he was did to the sidewalks. In fact, police advised the public works department to investigate the area to see if Reichel should reimburse the city.

Reichel paid the city $225 Thursday for towing the snowmobile and to get it out of the impound.

He doesn't know how much the tickets will cost him, but he's not overly concerned. He sees the whole incident as a funny story to share with others.

"I have a colorful life," Reichel said. "(Stuff) happens."
poorider

what the????????? Moron!

Postby FiredUpRupp » November 3rd, 2004, 7:27 am

What a idiot.
FiredUpRupp

what the????????? Moron!

Postby KneeDeepInSnow » November 4th, 2004, 3:14 am

wow! I have a hard time beleiving that one....
shudder at the sled damage
what do you have to be thinking to do that to a new sled...

in any case........what an idiot!

FiredUpRupp: So you ordered one of those too eh?? :)
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/KDX250/SDbrbr.jpg[/IMG]
[b][i][blue]DAYS GET SHORTER, SNOW GETS DEEPER, LIFE GETS BETTER[/blue][/i][/b]
KneeDeepInSnow

what the????????? Moron!

Postby gnip134 » November 4th, 2004, 3:25 am

OMG...........thats fricken hilarious........what a dumbass
gnip134

what the????????? Moron!

Postby Uller God » November 4th, 2004, 6:08 am

Typical Poo guy.
Uller God

what the????????? Moron!

Postby NorthernSkunk » November 4th, 2004, 11:19 am

hence the snowmobilews.com long running term..."Polar-Goon"....lol
Na i'm done with you, your to much of an ass for me!

Your on a need to know basis and since you never come out here you don't need to know....
NorthernSkunk

what the????????? Moron!

Postby proXpilot » November 4th, 2004, 12:45 pm

john kerry write that arcticle?
[url=http://www.syracuse.com/oneidalakecam/index.ssf/video]onieda lake live cam![/url]
[green]TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER!!![/green]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/proxpilot/bobblehd218x218.gif[/IMG]
proXpilot

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum