Subscribe Today

Ski-Doo Oil consumption

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Ski-Doo Oil consumption

Postby race4beer » November 11th, 2004, 6:59 am

I have a 2002 700 Legend that since new has used a excessive amount of oil. I have had the dealer look at it several times, but only a small change has happened. My sled smokes all the time and the plugs foul almost immediately. If I am stuck in a tight trail (under 4000rpm) the motor fouls and spits and burps until I can open it up and clean it out. I used synthetic since new, but now have switched to mineral oil as I'm broke. One check of consumption was a litre per one hundred Km's
I would like to know if I can make adjustments to the injector myself or must this be done at the dealer?
Any help on this would be great.
Thanks,
Garry
Garry Mayberry
race4beer

Ski-Doo Oil consumption

Postby craze1cars » November 11th, 2004, 8:05 am

Sounds like you need a new dealer. I have a 2001 Doo 600, a 1998 670, and just sold an old '87 Formula MX. All burned too much oil when I bought them new. Dealer turned them back so the point that they burn about a gallon of their synthetic every 1,500 miles (you can do the Canada math...) and hardly smoke at all. I usually top off my oil tank at the beginning of a 1,000 mile vacation and just ignore it (while all those stinky Polaris oil burners are dumping in 1.5 quarts a day!) The 670 has over 8,500 miles on it and when I discovered a broken ring I measured the rest of the engine for wear while it was apart...very little wear, still crosshatches showing on the cylinder walls. The 600 has 7,000 miles on it and has never been opened, perfect compression still. The MX was sold with 17,000km (no miles on that one) on the odometer, engine never opened once...that one has low compression, probably from wear, but is still rolling, and that was run on conventional non-synthetic it's whole life.

I didn't feel comfortable doing it myself due to warranty risk, but my dealer did a great job on all of them....no charge for any since I had them all done when they had under 500 mile on 'em. I'll have them do it on the next one I buy, too.
Body Armor SAVES LIVES!!!
COURTESY on the trails is CONTAGIOUS!!! Slow down EARLY for oncoming sleds!!!
ONLY pass from behind when signaled to do so!!!

THEN.....and only then...RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!
craze1cars

Ski-Doo Oil consumption

Postby race4beer » November 12th, 2004, 1:08 am

Damn dealers, I may have to drive a bit to find another dealer which is why I'm hoping to learn to make the adjustments myself.
I went a 1000km run (600miles) and actually had to park the sled on the trail and double with the wife on her sled in search of more oil. (my fault for not checking at a fillup prior) On that run used the full resivior and 1/2 gallon more.
The wifes 583 is opposite it barely uses oil which also concerned me until I read your reply. Now I'm confortable with it, just my pig is a problem.
Thanks,
Garry Mayberry
race4beer

Ski-Doo Oil consumption

Postby craze1cars » November 12th, 2004, 1:58 am

Sorry to get off topic, but out of curiosity, how does that 583 do on gas? My mother rides a 1998 583 Deluxe. Occasionally we ride together on same trails at same speed and stop for gas, wife's 2001 600 will take 6 gallons, my 1998 670 will take 6.2 gallons, Dad's 2004 600 HO Renegade will take 6.5, and Mom's 1998 583 will take 8.7 gallons. EVERY time she drinks a lot more, and it makes no sense to me. Dealer, Dad and I can't seem to find anything wrong with it and it runs perfect, just drinks more than anybody else's. She's getting a new GSX SDI this year so it probably doesn't matter anymore, but I'm curious if your 583 seems thirsty, too.

craze1cars

Ski-Doo Oil consumption

Postby race4beer » November 12th, 2004, 5:28 am

our 583 is good on gas, of course the wife is easy on it though. I can't remember actual mileage, but if we are on a trail run and running 40 to 60 mph her sled and mine are about the same. Mine usually is a little worse but then I tend to have a lttle fun accelerating. Also mine is usually better than the polaris's I run with.
Further off topic, have you ever heard of speed problems with a 700 like mine. Since new it has never made the 100mph mark. 95 top end and the dealer (same one) has not been able to correct it. They tell me I should be good for 110. Any ideas? These two problems I have are making me strongly want to go back to riding Yamaha, if I don't get my issues fixed this year, I will change for next year.
Garry Mayberry
race4beer

Ski-Doo Oil consumption

Postby craze1cars » November 12th, 2004, 7:25 am

My old 670 will clear 100mph no problem, and our 2001 600 will top out about 95 in most normal trail conditions, both faster if it's icy. Your 700 should do better. Something's not right there. May likely be related to the same tuning situation/excessive oil consumption. If it's running too rich on oil, that hurts combustion and will rob some HP.

Yamahas are good sleds, rock solid reliable, smooth, and good handling. I've always liked them, but I'm over 6 foot tall, and I just don't seem to fit on 'em, so I've always stuck with Ski-Doo fr comfort reasons. I have to say it sounds like you've got yourself a bad one, or one that needs some improvements...that's rare for Ski-Doo, in my experience. I don't know that one bad experience would make me change brands. But now there's a lot more to it if you're thinking about a switch (if you're buying new.) 2 stroke REV upright riding style, or a 4 stroke sit-down? Now it's much more than just a brand decision, it's a complete riding style decision!

Good luck with whatever you do, maybe someone else out here can give you some more specific tips on your oil and tuning problems for your 700. I might suggest a 2nd opinion from a different mechanic before you give up on it, though.

craze1cars

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum