Subscribe Today

ReTrax Wheels?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

ReTrax Wheels?

Postby Skiduders » December 29th, 2004, 11:23 am

Could you explain to the uneducated what ReTrax wheels are and how they work? Thanks... Go ahead and call me a dummy.
Skiduders

ReTrax Wheels?

Postby fusion rider » December 29th, 2004, 12:58 pm

SkiD.
Re-trax are wheels that bolt to the inside of your skis, the stock ski bolts are used. They retract in to a up position when not in use.And when needed you simply pull a lever and down they come.
They are used when you get to a gas station, or anywhere pavement or hard pack is, when down it's like driving a 4 wheeler.
And skags are not worn out.
Contact your local sled dealer for a MUCH better description.
fusion rider

ReTrax Wheels?

Postby Skiduders » December 29th, 2004, 1:46 pm

So, do you have to "click" each ski when you want them down? Do they retract automatically when you run into the snow or do you put them back up manually?

Now that you describe them, I think I have heard of them...I will check them out. Would be nice not to have to listen to the scrape at the pump...and save on the carbides too.. How much do they cost?
Skiduders

ReTrax Wheels?

Postby xcsp » December 30th, 2004, 9:51 am

For Retrax wheel kits, go to www.retrax.net I belive they are still at $199 for the set, and they are well made! They do not retract by themselves, which I seen some that did. I like my Retrax as when I leave teh parking lot and get to the snow, I just ride into the snow and then retract the wheels and go.

If you have any questions, the people at Retrax will answer them!!

I had mine all last season and they worked great!!
xcsp

ReTrax Wheels?

Postby Yoo » December 30th, 2004, 12:50 pm

Talked to the people from ReTrax. They are great!!! Please accept my previous comments. I was wrong again. Folks check them out. This is one way you will never have to pick up the back of your wife's sled when she goes to get gas, or ends up in the snowbank on the opposite side of the road. Again, great people, great product! Looking forward to my set of ReTrax!
Yoo

ReTrax Wheels?

Postby xcsp » January 2nd, 2005, 7:59 am

No problem Yoo, let us know what you think of the Retrax kit!!
xcsp

ReTrax Wheels?

Postby fusion rider » January 2nd, 2005, 12:08 pm

xcsp these retrax work awsome, from now on every sled I buy will have a set on them.
fusion rider

ReTrax Wheels?

Postby HairBall800 » January 2nd, 2005, 1:36 pm

Anybody wanting to buy a set for their AC hardware should wait as they are changing them to fit properly. I order a set back in October and gave them a call to find out what the hold up was about and they told me that the angle of the ski cased a problem to their normal set-up and that they had to do some fine tuning and that they would be ready right after the new year.
May peace be with you when my snow dust is in your face.
HairBall800

ReTrax Wheels?

Postby willhuntley » January 24th, 2005, 6:14 am

I have a pair of these things made not by Retrax but by SnoMoWheels, I have a 05 arctic cat and they work great, they even pop up automatically when you go back on the trail. These things are a great idea they should come stick on the machines!
For my money though I would go with the snomowheels, who wants to get off the sled more than you have to...
I think their website is www.snomowheels.com
willhuntley

ReTrax Wheels?

Postby xcsp » January 24th, 2005, 7:03 am

Will, how much force does it take to get the wheels to automatically retract? If you are travelling across some not-so-smooth surfaces or encounter going from a concrete area such as around gas pumps and then onto blacktop, if the transition isn't smooth, are these wheels going to retract and drop the skis down when you don't want them to?

I just checked out that site, in the photos of a Ski Doo REV, the wheel in the up position looks large and could they interfere with the sled in turning with the suspension compressed? Wish they had some better pics as I personally wasn't impressed from what I saw.
xcsp

PreviousNext

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum