Subscribe Today

Pantera Fuel Gauge

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Pantera Fuel Gauge

Postby Popsickle » December 14th, 2004, 3:59 pm

Hi,
Have a 2004 Pantera 600EFI that had a gas gauge that never worked from the day it was delivered,(12/11/03). The selling dealer went belly up, (wonder why?). I took it last week to a different dealer under CatCare Extended Warranty,(rip off!!!). The dealer said the gauge tested good, so did the tank unit. They said there was a bad connection in the dash wiring harness. The dealer said it was fixed and didn't charge for the repair but socked me $175.00 for a pre season service I didn't authorize,(sled has 127 miles).
The dealer delivered the sled today and it ran for about fifty feet and quit and the gauge still doesn't work. It seems like a electrical problem with no bucking or coughing associated with a fuel problem. We loaded the sled back up and after running up to dealers shop, the dealer said so far the only thing that they found was that the injection pump isn't working.
The dealer is such a rip off. I wished I would of left the gas gauge not working, at least the machine ran.
Does anyone have any ideas connected fixing the gauge and the engine quiting.
I think the next machine will be a Yamaha 4 stroker, not that this machine is a bad machine but I thing Arctic Cat,(the company), SUCKS when it comes to customer service.

Thanks,
John
Popsickle

Pantera Fuel Gauge

Postby coolhand20th » December 14th, 2004, 4:43 pm

first off..if you didn't authorize that service..i would have told them to kiss my @ss....legally you didn't have to pay for it
coolhand20th

Pantera Fuel Gauge

Postby Pantera » December 15th, 2004, 6:34 am

I wouldn't pay for something you didn't authorized either. Too bad about the gauge and other problems, I have many Pantera's including a 2002 that has been perfect. Only thing I had to do was re-glue the thumb-warmer back on. Love the sled and don't plan on ever selling it.

My advice: Find a different dealer and get your money back for service you didn't authorize.

Pantera
Snowmobile the America that others pass by....
Pantera

Pantera Fuel Gauge

Postby craze1cars » December 15th, 2004, 8:40 am

I'm not extremely brand loyal and I like the other 3 manufacturers, but I abandoned Cat years ago for their lousy customer service and unreliable sleds. Sad to see nothing's changed, I won't be giving them another chance.
Body Armor SAVES LIVES!!!
COURTESY on the trails is CONTAGIOUS!!! Slow down EARLY for oncoming sleds!!!
ONLY pass from behind when signaled to do so!!!

THEN.....and only then...RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!
craze1cars

Pantera Fuel Gauge

Postby Popsickle » December 15th, 2004, 12:35 pm

Hey Pantera,
I agree with you, this sled is one mighty fine looking machine, that is why I bought it. I got the sled delivered today, and the Service Mangager said the $175.00 Pre Season Service was totaly picked up by Arctic Cat,(not the dealer). I guess after several pi--ed off e-mails to Arctic Cat and the threat of turning it over to the Penna. Attorney Generals Office, I fianly struck a positive blow. What an effort on my behalf.
This dealer does not seem much better than the one that sold me the sled. The fuel gauge is working and the sled acturally made it about 100 feet to the barn until the snow flys. The dealer said it was a connection under the hood in the wiring harnass that Arctic Cat uses on several of their other machines. This connection on the harnes has no lock to keep the connector from comming apart and killing the power to the gauge and the EFI and a couple other things. I can't believe Arctic Cat would use a wire harness connector that does not have locks.
I have read from other posts, that most people that had Panteras, claim that they were very dependable, strong machines, that doubled as utility sleds as well as touring machines. I hope this problem of mine is finally fixed.
This machine also had a strong tendency to tip over since it was new, have you had the same problem with yours?
The dealer is convienent and has Polaris, Cat, Yamaha, and Ski Doo, thats why their so independent, as most of them are.
Thanks,
John
Popsickle

Pantera Fuel Gauge

Postby Popsickle » December 15th, 2004, 12:45 pm

Hi Craze,
I new to the snowmobile sport but I have to agree about Cats Customer Service, it seems like it sucks unless you bit-h and make lots of noise.
As far as the machines, I always thought Cat was the leader in the snowmobile industry, but that was years ago, and now there are more players in the game with very respectible products.
If I ever get another machine, I am leaning to a Yamaha 4 stroke but I want EFI. I heard a lot of good reports on the 4 bangers and since its Japanese made it could have an edge. Better yet, if Honda comes out with a 4 stroker EFI, that would grab my attention even more. Time will tell. The guy that delivered my sled today said he is not wild on Arctic Cat Products and this seems to be the general opinion of most people I talk to.
I won't be doing nothing unless we get some snow pretty darn quick.

Thanks,
Popsickle
Popsickle

Pantera Fuel Gauge

Postby Pantera » December 16th, 2004, 6:22 am

I was involved in a conversation a year or so ago about these sleds being tippy. My repsonse was that I didn't think they were. I don't ride it like I ride my ZR or ZL and when I have a passenger you especially have to ride it differently. I made a comparison like: You don't drive a 4x4 SUV around a corner at the same speed you can with a Corvette. Different type of machine. When you put a second rider on the back it is like people loading up the roof-rack on an SUV for a trip and wondering why it rolled over on the same curve they drive every day going to work. When you change/raise the center of gravity to have to accomodate that change with a chaning in your driving style. The other person who posted the question way-back-when was 'new-to-the-sport' or 'getting-back-into-it' to so I think it caught him off guard. Sure, I've tipped ours on the side a couple times, coming out of a ditch or crossing ice heaves and dirt burms getting on and off lakes but all of those incidents involved extremely un-even terrain and there was a passenger. Sometimes I have the passenger get off, then there usually isn't a problem. Never broke the windshield or did any other damage, it was just a slow tip trying to crawl through something what wasn't meant to be crawled thru.
Pantera
Pantera

Pantera Fuel Gauge

Postby Pantera » December 16th, 2004, 6:27 am

Actually, I should say I 'usually' don't drive it like I do my ZR or ZL. However, I do like to run the longer tracked machine with all the storage bags a lot so even when not having a passenger I still cruise with the guys thru the twisties and never miss a beat. Just gotta use a little more body english to handle the extra pounds. But I don't mind that when I have all the luxuries on-board and the other guys do not. (ESR, map bag, GPS, 12V-spot light, maps, pop, candy bars, etc)
Pantera
Pantera

Pantera Fuel Gauge

Postby tcat2 » December 17th, 2004, 8:00 am

Popsickle .... Unfortunatly, you are equating dealer service with the Arctic Cat company itself. Every dealer is different. I have one local dealer who sucks, and one an hour away that is great. Sounds liek you have 2 that are not very good. Finding a good dealer is hard, but well worth the effort ... and it doesn't matter what brand, Our local dealer sells Ski-Doo, Arctic-Cat and Polaris. The service on all of them suck. Seems that once they sell the sled they don't want to hear form you. My cousin rides a Polaris ... and he thought they sucked, but after a trip to my newly found GOOD dealer, he now loves his machine.

As far as the harness, I had a similar problem. (FYI - the connector does have locking tabs on it) After 3 trips to the (Lousy) dealer, they finally "Fixed" it. Upon inspection, their "Fix" consisted of a small tie-wrap around the connector in question. Upon further inspection, I saw where the tabs had broken off. I took some pictures and sat down with the owner of the dealership. I told her that if we didn't solve the problem right now, my next stop was to the office of consumer protection. A week later I had a new wiring harness ... Courtesy of Arctic Cat. Then, to be on the safe side, I added a tie wrap to the good connector myself. :-)
Long Live the Tripples !!!!
tcat2

Pantera Fuel Gauge

Postby Popsickle » December 17th, 2004, 3:23 pm

Hi Tcat2,
I have to say that I agree with you. The a good dealer seems hard to find around my part of town because of there limited numbers for a certain brand sled and their conveinence of location. Like you said, most dealers just want to sell sleds and make a good buck on service afterwards.
As far as Arctic Cat goes, I believe it is who you talk to in the company and how loud you "Squack". As they say, the squeeky wheel gets the grease. After alot of "Squeekin", Arctic Cat picked up the tab for the preseason service I never authorized.
As far as the wiring harness goes, what type of sled did you have problems with? I will have to look at my connector on my sled to see if indeed, a lock was broken off. The electrical tape and the tie solution sound a bit "bush league" to me.
Thanks,
Popsickle
Popsickle

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum