Subscribe Today

Rant on loud pipes, keep 'em off the trails!

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby craze1cars » February 24th, 2005, 1:28 am

Thanks for your thoughts, LawDog, and for everything else you do to help our sport. In fact, I believe I briefly met you (or one of your co-workers) that weekend on the trail. I was leading our group back into Newberry in the dark after riding all day, and all of a sudden an approaching sled erupted in red/blue flashes and I was stopped for 5 seconds so the officer could simply warn me that a groomer was approaching and the trail was going to get narrow at the same time. If that was you, thank you for the courtesy. Do you run a police-modified REV with integrated lights? Cool looking sled...
Body Armor SAVES LIVES!!!
COURTESY on the trails is CONTAGIOUS!!! Slow down EARLY for oncoming sleds!!!
ONLY pass from behind when signaled to do so!!!

THEN.....and only then...RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!
craze1cars

Postby *LawDog » February 24th, 2005, 6:19 am

Yes that was me.... How that came about was as follows...

Just started Patrol and was heading north and came up behind the groomer heading the same way , but only it looked different it had a Snowmobile almost on its drag ... A small group kept coming down the narrow trail and ran out of room to find a good spot to pull off and when the groomer slowly edged through the sled tipped off the bank and slid onto the drag... So I was just trying to give people the heads up about the groomer ( So I wouldnt have to do an accident report lol ) Appreciate the compliments and your welcome we enjoy having you guys come up and ride our trails....

As far as the sled goes it is a modified 2005 Rev 600 HO SDI we utilize Red and Blue LED's that are clear and small until you turn them on... Sort of like having a Slicktop Patrol car... Cant tell till its too late..... But actually for the most part over 90 % of the riders that come up are good decent people. We have not seen the aggressive riders like we have in years past.... Next time flag me down and say hello...
*LawDog

Postby craze1cars » February 12th, 2006, 7:31 am

I'm just bumping this to the top for the heckuvit. Note this thread is about a year old. I started it back then. Compare this to the recent one that Yoo started.

Look familiar?
Body Armor SAVES LIVES!!!
COURTESY on the trails is CONTAGIOUS!!! Slow down EARLY for oncoming sleds!!!
ONLY pass from behind when signaled to do so!!!

THEN.....and only then...RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!
craze1cars

Postby northern_sled_freak_69 » February 12th, 2006, 1:30 pm

all you guys are just ****in whiney babies 90 % of the people out there put loud pipes on to help with there hp and if someone not from around there and doesn't know the law well what are they to do about it
go big or go home......missing the snow and side hilling with my truck
northern_sled_freak_69

Postby J33pin_J@k3r » February 17th, 2006, 2:39 am

[quote=craze1cars]...
I agree random checkpoints would help considerably with both of these issues, and I did come across a random noise checkpoint near Watersmeet on the the railroad grade once last year. But that was early/middle of the day and he was clearly running a sound meter and ticketing sleds over the DB limit. I also understand that noise checkpoints are common in Canada. But I have never personally seen a random drunk checkpoint, and I'd be in favor of those 100%...much more so than the noise issue, especially if the police are smart about it and run them late at night after everyone's had time to get good and ripped from a hard day's drinking.[/quote]

Have you ever ridden in Ontario? The OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) and OFSC (Ontario federation of snowmobile clubs) have a program set up call the STOP program which is basically like a RIDE program for sleds. They set up random check points along the trail at various times I have been stopped around 8-9pm and in the middle of the day. Anyways they check for license, ownership, insurance to make sure the sled is not stolen, as well as aftermarket exhaust and drunks. However this being said I have only been stopped two or three times in three years of riding with the program in affect, and only one of the times was after dark. That being said maybe it needs some work, maybe that is just in my area, others could be better. But I do agree that it is a good idea, especially considering when in a two-three month season there are 35+ snowmobile related deaths every year and I believe about 30-50% involve alcohol.
What do you do when your girlfriend says: " Ditch the Jeep and buy me a ring, or I'm out of here"?... Name your Jeep 1 Carat and keep on wheeling!

Keep 'er between the trees or between the lines and rubber side down!
J33pin_J@k3r

Previous

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum