Subscribe Today

Rant on loud pipes, keep 'em off the trails!

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby craze1cars » February 17th, 2005, 8:05 am

I frankly have no idea. I just called 911, reported general direction/description, and they said they'd report it to the police.

I agree random checkpoints would help considerably with both of these issues, and I did come across a random noise checkpoint near Watersmeet on the the railroad grade once last year. But that was early/middle of the day and he was clearly running a sound meter and ticketing sleds over the DB limit. I also understand that noise checkpoints are common in Canada. But I have never personally seen a random drunk checkpoint, and I'd be in favor of those 100%...much more so than the noise issue, especially if the police are smart about it and run them late at night after everyone's had time to get good and ripped from a hard day's drinking.
Body Armor SAVES LIVES!!!
COURTESY on the trails is CONTAGIOUS!!! Slow down EARLY for oncoming sleds!!!
ONLY pass from behind when signaled to do so!!!

THEN.....and only then...RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!
craze1cars

Postby MeLoco » February 17th, 2005, 8:28 am

You called 911 to report a loud snowmobile?
Taker Easy, and If Shes Easy Take Er Twice!
MeLoco

Postby gnip134 » February 17th, 2005, 8:41 am

Ahh.....Another reason I love my 4-stroke.....can't hear me coming or going......and I'm not deaf after a day of riding:)
gnip134

Postby 02 PRO-X » February 17th, 2005, 11:50 am

Ahhhhh, MeLoco you better read ALL the posts, more specificly the one right before Craze's. He was talking about how he reported drunk riders.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners, than cry with the saints.

[img]http://img205.exs.cx/img205/6434/prox7cjsm5vm.jpg [/img]
02 PRO-X

Postby vwbuggyman » February 17th, 2005, 12:00 pm

For a while my sled was very loud, a "conversation stopper" as you say, but not due to cans or mods. The stock muffler simple split in an area where you couldn't readily see it. I noticed it when hot air kept coming over my right foot, thus discovering the problem. I replaced it as soon as possible, as I didn't really like the extra noise either. When I was in the town park (local sled hangout) when I started the motor, everyone looked over.

But even with a new(actually used exhaust from a salvage yard, but in great shape) it is still very loud, and it is only a 380. Sometimes I drive it to the dumpster with the trash, it is a couple minutes walk. For these short trips I don't use a helmet, and I don't think I could stand the noise without a helmet for more than a minute or so.

But what really annoys me is when racers practice late at night. Schroon Lake is hosting ice drags this weekend, and some of the teams have plowed strips of lake to practice on. Fine, no problem there. Hell, I even went down it once and got to 80 on my little 380. Anyway, some people got the bright idea to practice at around 11pm with their modified sleds so they wouldn't have to deal with any other sleds on the practice strip. So around midnight I wake up to see a headlight blazing across the lake, they had to be doing at least 100 along with a loud buzzing. I was probably a mile away and in a room with new windows, which is generally pretty soundproof. Still heard it loud enough to wake me up.

Sleds this loud are bad enough, but at night is even worse. I agree that a crackdown on cans is a good idea, but I would rather have sobriety testing way before noise testing. Noise never hurt anyone, it is just an annoyance. Drunk riders can and have hurt and killed others. They need to be stopped before can users.
vwbuggyman

Postby craze1cars » February 17th, 2005, 2:39 pm

[quote]You called 911 to report a loud snowmobile?[/quote]

No. That was to report the drunk driver.

craze1cars

Postby MeLoco » February 17th, 2005, 6:26 pm

ok..good show
Taker Easy, and If Shes Easy Take Er Twice!
MeLoco

Postby jimvw57 » February 17th, 2005, 7:28 pm

I seriously doubt they will get ticketed for loud pipes until they start them up and it is checked by the local enforcement personnel. Same for the drunken driving. However, it never hurts to pass on some info to the authorities.
jimvw57

Postby Yoo » February 18th, 2005, 5:22 am

craze1cars, glad you make it to the Western UP! First week of March this year is the USSA Ice Oval and Snow Cross Races in Watersmeet. I'll be announcing them on Sunday, Saturday announcing Drag Races in Ontonagon. March 5th and 6th. If you're up, look me up.

Again, I'm with you on everything you said. We need to get the loud machines off the trail and on to the track.

BTW, we're heading out west for our annual ride March 14th to the 20th. Where do you go and are you going this year?

Skip
Yoo

Postby craze1cars » February 18th, 2005, 6:22 am

unfortunately not gonna make it west this year. We've been many places, but our group's favorite seems to be the Snowy Range, near Laramie, WY. If you haven't ridden there yet, I'd HIGHLY recommend it. They have a network of trails that sort of corkscrew up the mountains. This allows you to run the groomed trails up to the top and boondock almost all the way down wihtout as much fear of getting lost, since you're guaranteed to cross the trail again at some point. The hillclimbing and scenery is outstanding. Check it out.

Not sure exactly when I'm going to Watersmeet...dates are in the air. Thanks for your invite and I'll keep it in mind.

craze1cars

PreviousNext

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum