Subscribe Today

Rant on loud pipes, keep 'em off the trails!

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby ZRT7c » February 20th, 2005, 5:16 pm

Ya im sorry i did have a little attitude and yes i shut my sled down at gas stations i guess everyone has there own preference on loud pipes and that 68 isnt because of tucker that was a number i used at the lake when i go out there. Sorry for my attitude i apoligize i guess i was a little grumpy when i wrote this.
[green]STAY GREEN[/green]
[img]http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/502164/1.jpg[/img]
ZRT7c

Postby KneeDeepInSnow » February 20th, 2005, 5:17 pm

well I'm adding my 2 cents.

As i've gone up in engine size, my sled has slowly gotten louder. My 800 has a trail can. ITs got a nice sound to it, a bit louder then stock, but respectable loud. Ie: Not ear piercing. My first insticnt was to rebel with some comment glorifying loud pipes, but I don't know how much i could stand soemhting louder then what i have. I wont stand up and say I want a quieter sled either though.

I have a question for crazycars, its that i cannot beleive something would be that loud to irritate so much at idle. What could be louder then Sno-X'rs? they don't seem to bad. Granted a triple stinger will be a bit louder and i suppose if you dont mind loosing power you could get louder.

I agree that if you are loud, you need to show some respect and keep it down while residential/or at the stations.
But i also want to stay that human nature is to seek attention: loud cars/sleds, sports cars, big engines, beer, sex, big trucks......such is the American Ego. Not to center out Americans......but the general outlook of more power, more sound, more skin......prevails........no wonder these kids are showing it off a little with loud sleds. It sells! This goes beyond snowmobiling, though as sledders, we are particularily vulnerable.
I don't think anyones gonna be the hero reporting everyone else with loud sleds either. In the day when your on the trail i dont think it matters that much.

again ..its moderation, and how you use it. I'm not takign either side, i'm just putting in my thougts......
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/KDX250/SDbrbr.jpg[/IMG]
[b][i][blue]DAYS GET SHORTER, SNOW GETS DEEPER, LIFE GETS BETTER[/blue][/i][/b]
KneeDeepInSnow

Postby craze1cars » February 21st, 2005, 1:57 am

[quote]I have a question for crazycars, its that i cannot beleive something would be that loud to irritate so much at idle. What could be louder then Sno-X'rs? they don't seem to bad. Granted a triple stinger will be a bit louder and i suppose if you dont mind loosing power you could get louder.

I don't think anyones gonna be the hero reporting everyone else with loud sleds either. In the day when your on the trail i dont think it matters that much.
[/quote]

Let me tell you, these things were seriously deafening. Both were Cats, and they looked stock on the outside, that's all I know...don't have a clue what they had under the hood.

Snowcross and organized racing events are a completely different animal....let 'em RIP! I'm only ranting about loud TRAIL sleds.
And frankly I've given some serious second thoughts to my plan to report excessively loud sleds....the more I think about it, the more I honestly don't think it'll accomplish anything beyond wasting resources that should better be used in emergency situations.

So anywho....for now I'm just out to bring some awareness to those who maybe haven't given this issue some serious thought before. I'll let nature take it's course. My biggest point is that loud sleds are one of many, many things non-sledders have to use against us in a sport that most non-sledders don't like. Why give our enemies even more ammo just for an ego boost of "sounding cool?" The more we can do to respect EVERYONE around us, the better we will represent our sport. So have fun, be respectful, don't litter or tresspass or drink/drive, quiet your sleds down, and join a club! Nothing but good can come of all that. Peace out.
Body Armor SAVES LIVES!!!
COURTESY on the trails is CONTAGIOUS!!! Slow down EARLY for oncoming sleds!!!
ONLY pass from behind when signaled to do so!!!

THEN.....and only then...RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!
craze1cars

Postby Slushyshorts » February 21st, 2005, 4:28 am

Always good to know that there is no shortage of NARKS in the world.
:C [green]CAT #1[/green]
Slushyshorts

Postby KneeDeepInSnow » February 21st, 2005, 5:21 am

[quote]Always good to know that there is no shortage of NARKS in the world.[/quote]

slushy: IF you've got an opinion or something worth saying, then say it.....btu if not don't waste our time. no sure who that was aimed at specifically, but you've improved this thread bny an amazing 0%!!!!!!

craze1cars: I definitely agree with you that we shouldn't be giving our enemies more ammo to use against us, especially when as a group, we are already under so much fire. I think that there is definitely a time and place for loud, and late at night, near residential areas, and other times that draw undue attention, is not that time. I think if you want to ride loud, you should be respectful of those in close range and keep it down.

as for my comment about reporting them: If it works i think its great, but where would the limit be. Imagine everyone started doing this........all of a sudden the Dnr is getting noise complaints through the roof. Enter press release, public relations garbage etc. I know that to confront the individuals can often make it harder and lead to a fight as well. I just think we should be careful as to not further break down those in our sport, and start polarizing it. Theres a balance to preserve, and we are easy to target by the public. anyone withing 50' of a snowmobile gets labelled as a snowmobiler.......not just someone on a snowmobiler, we are labelled as a group. I think we have to be careful as to how we go about bringing down the noise. The more people ***** and tell you to be quiet, often times the more you want to do something. So then all of a sudden pipes start carrying this rebelious attitude with them. YOu remember the logic (or lack there of) of a yuoung mind. What if nobody cared, or looked twice if you were loud.....all these kids would realize that nobody cares and realize they don't want that much noise anyway, and go to somethign quieter. Of course we can't exactly do that. but you get my point. Even with Zrtbuddies anti-authority attitude that shows. People get defensive when they feel attacked. As for me, I'd rather think....i can be as louds as hell freezing over, but i'll choose to be quieter, for the sake of those around me. i think if we stop taking a negative approach to loud, and a more positive approach to quiet, people wouldbe more responsive. In a world where loud sells, how do we market quiet?
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/KDX250/SDbrbr.jpg[/IMG]
[b][i][blue]DAYS GET SHORTER, SNOW GETS DEEPER, LIFE GETS BETTER[/blue][/i][/b]
KneeDeepInSnow

Postby Slushyshorts » February 21st, 2005, 6:11 am

Just let the cops do the coppin'....that's all. Not taking sides.
Taddletales stay home.
:C [green]CAT #1[/green]
Slushyshorts

Postby Aaron25 » February 21st, 2005, 6:22 am

Are loud pipes as much of a issue as people make it? Everybody knows that if you go to wisconsin, or the U.P. and have aftermarket exhaust on your sled your gonna get a ticket!
Aaron25

Postby Long time cat man » February 21st, 2005, 6:59 am

[quote]Just let the cops do the coppin'....that's all. Not taking sides.
Taddletales stay home.[/quote]

I don't advocate everyone playing taddletale as you call it, but I certainly don't have a problem with fellow snowmobilers trying to tell other snowmobilers their opinions on the right way to do things. One of the things I like the most about snowmobiling is the minimal regulation we have and the thrill of speed and acceleration without the worry of some jerk standing at every corner in the woods with a hand held radar gun. When and if that time happens, is the time I quit riding. There just happens to be good times and places for doing certain things on a sled, and times when it's not appropriate at all. Let's just hope we can make that determination ourselves, and not get to the point where a police, or DNR officer is making all of those decisions.
Long time cat man

Postby vwbuggyman » February 21st, 2005, 2:51 pm

^^

That's a good point, people don't realise how much freedon snowmobilers have compared to cars or boats or the like. You can modify the cr@p out of your sled and it's still legal. You can barley touch the outside of your car without you doing something illegal.

Only a few trails have a speed limit, and the ones that do are pretty high, and no one really enforces it anyway. So you can pretty much go any speed you please and not worry about cops or the like.

Forgot to register your sled this year? No problem! Unless you go on pay trails and very high volume sledding areas, you don't really have to worry. The sticker on my sled is on the vertical part of the floorboards, so your boot covers it while riding. No one gives a second look.

These are just a few examples of the freedoms that most snowmobilers take for granted, and when they are threatened to be regulared, outcry erupts.

"A statewide speed limit on trails? You've got to be kidding."
"A crackdown on cans and dB checks? No way."

People that drive into gas stations with loud sleds and annoy the public are why the politicians are trying to limit the freedoms and fun of sledding, so the general public stays happy. Just use common sense here, people! Be courteous to non-snowmobilers. Drive responsibly. In other words, don't be the guy that everybody immediately sees as a jerk.
vwbuggyman

Postby *LawDog » February 23rd, 2005, 10:23 am

Craze1cars......

Its interesting to see everyones viewpoint..... The best thing is that you all have the freedom to say what you want agree or not... I Patrol the Newberry Area and know first hand the Loud Pipe issue...

Coming off duty last weekend approxx 1030 PM ( YES NIGHT )I was just putting he sled up and heard EXTREMELY LOUD PIPES ( maybe the same sleds Both Cats One Red One Green ) . All I heard was BRAAAAAAAAAP every 5-8 seconds they couldnt seem to just keep a steady speed and the noise at a minimum. I finanly jumped into the Patrol Car and went to find them .. wasnt hard I could hear them inside the Patrol car 1/2 Mile away... Found them at the same Gas station that craze1cars said and proceeded to discuss disturbing the peace and proper techniques for nightime driving. I was probably a little unprofessional but Im thinking it was more unprofessional to wake the whole town up.....

As to reporting to Law Enforcement when you feel a Law is being violated we dont mind, Sometimes when aggressive riders and running people off the trail and you and or your friends are the ones being run off the trail a heads up to us may save someone form serious injury or prevent a fatal accident. Even those that think the trails are there private race course deserve to be kept safe.

In a recent weekend one such call came in to us as we just starting Patrol. The caller gave us complete descriptions and direction of travel. We set up and waited for them and sure enough they came racing side by side through the corners. They all received CERTIFICATES for their efforts.... and you know what they knew they were out of control and said maybe this will slow us down a bit. I dont know If giving them a citation slowed them down for next time but it may make them think a bit more.... In any case I applaud those who do let us know when they feel someone is riding too agressive and do not consider them tattle tails but good stewards of our sport.

The Loud Pipe issue is on the table and I think there will be revised rules governing the decibel level for next year....
*LawDog

PreviousNext

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum