Subscribe Today

BEWARE OF THE 2005 SKIDOO 600SDI

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby skidont » February 19th, 2005, 10:00 am

I HAVE A BRAND NEW SKIDOO GSX SPORT 600SDI HO. IT'S BEEN A GAS LEAKING PLUG FOULING NIGHTMARE FROM DAY 1. THIS IS BY FAR THE MOST PROBLEMATIC MACHINE I HAVE EVER HAD (AND I'VE HAD MANY BRAND NEW MACHINES). THE MORE I LOOK AROUND THE MORE HORROR STORIES I SEE ABOUT THE SDI ENGINE. I KNOW I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE. AND DON'T FORGET BRP/SKIDOO'S STRICT POLICY ON THEIR RECREATIONAL VEHIVLES: NO REFUNDS, NO RETURNS, AND NO EXCHANGES. SO YOU COULD END UP LIKE ME AND GET STUCK WITH A BRAND NEW $8000 SCIENCE PROJECT. CHOOSE YOU'R SLED WISELY.
SKIDONT
skidont

Postby Summit » February 19th, 2005, 5:19 pm

Wouldn't there be a warrenty on the sled that would cover something like that?
Ryan
Summit

Postby Thunder Cummins » February 20th, 2005, 3:40 am

I heard that the gas leaking can start a fire,causing you to burn down .Then the insurance co. buys you a new one.If you are smart then you get a carb.engine instead of a SDI.

Breakin the Law
Fear the Diesel!!!
Thunder Cummins

Postby skidont » February 20th, 2005, 4:18 am

Yes it has a warranty. It's been in the shop like 5 times. They keep trying to fix it with no success. Every time it goes in they say it's fixed. I pick it up and plan a 2-3 day trip, take the sled out, it fouls the plugs, I put my spares in it, it happens it again, and ruins the trip. This has occurred every time I went to use it. I didn't pay all this money for a "BRAND NEW" sled to do this. This machine should not be having nearly this much trouble. I've had it. I've given them every opportunity to fix it BRP/skidoo will not replace or refund. They keep screwing me around because they can't fix flawed design. The problem lies in the SDI technology. I bought 2 new sleds at the same time. A 2005 GSX SPORT 600 SDI HO and a 2005 GSX SPORT 500SS. In roughly 300 miles - 600 SDI 7-sets of plugs and a major gas leak (defective factory seal on the gas tank related to some sort of SDI fitting). The non-SDI 500ss - FLAWLESS!! Original plugs, not one problem at all.
SKIDONT
skidont

Postby skidont » February 20th, 2005, 4:26 am

The gas leak started on the first day. They fixed it before blew up. I wouldn't' be surprised if it starts to leak again. I just hope it doesn't blow up with me on it. That's if I can keep it going long enough.
SKIDONT
skidont

Postby nbrenegade » February 20th, 2005, 1:35 pm

Almost 3000miles on my 05 SDI this winter never fouled a plug, starts first pull, great gas milage and never missed a beat best machine I ever had. Maybe its your dealer thats the problem not the machine.....
05 Limited Edition 600 HO SDI Renegade
nbrenegade

Postby BlueLightning » February 20th, 2005, 3:17 pm

Have you tried taking your sled to a different dealer?
BlueLightning

Postby DooSki7c » February 21st, 2005, 1:16 am

Well I have 2 options here as a dealer skidont....either call bull**** on your part that you are blowing this out of proportion, or tell you to find another dealer cuz he obviously has no clue on how to put together or repair a snowmobile....SDI's do not have all these problems from the factory
DooSki7c

Postby craze1cars » February 21st, 2005, 2:00 am

My SDI has been flawless.
Body Armor SAVES LIVES!!!
COURTESY on the trails is CONTAGIOUS!!! Slow down EARLY for oncoming sleds!!!
ONLY pass from behind when signaled to do so!!!

THEN.....and only then...RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!
craze1cars

Postby skidont » February 21st, 2005, 3:54 am

I figured I'd get some argument. I've heard some Sdi's run properly. If yours runs good you're lucky. My sled does not run. It never has run properly from 0 miles to 300 miles. I'm saying my sled is factory junk. And I know for a fact there are many more just like it out there. Surf the net and you will find plenty of people with the same exact problems. The dealers and brp/skidoo will keep trying to fix it until it's out of warranty if you let them. They will do any thing but give you a replacement or a refund. To those of you out there with good running 2005 SDI sleds, GREAT. They're great when they are running properly. I don't know how many run good and how many are problematic. Both are out there. May be there's only a bad batch out there, maybe of them. May be all of them and only some of got some sort of fix before they went out the door. I don't know. I do know that some of the dealers have been cranking the oil delivery system way down and putting non-OEM plugs in them. This supposedly will make them run great. Well, how long is the motor really going to last with less oil than it was designed for? Just long enough??
SKIDONT
skidont

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum